On this page
If you need help, please contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian, at 778.782.5043 or firstname.lastname@example.org (Monday to Thursday ) at Belzberg Library , or Ask a librarian.
Highlighted resources for Gerontology
- PsycINFO The major psychology database
- CINAHL Complete Nursing and allied health
- See also the (slightly old) video Navigating the Library Database for Gerontology for general information
Services for Gerontology students
Research assistance for the Gerontology is centred at Belzberg Library at SFU Vancouver's Harbour Centre.
Special topics in Gerontology
Help with course assignments
Below are course assignment guides for Gerontology courses taught in current and previous semesters; guides for the current semester are marked in green, but you can also check the Gerontology department's current offerings, SFU Current Calendar Course Descriptions Search or the go.sfu.ca Class Search. See also SFU's Standard Grade System.
NOTE: Course guides are usually created for class instruction and are updated for a new session; some information might therefore be might be dated.
GERO 101 Aging and Society
- GERO 300 Introduction to Gerontology
- GERO 301 Research Methods in Gerontology (Distance)
- GERO 302 Health Promotion and Aging
- GERO 401 Environment and Aging
- GERO 403 Counselling with Older Adults
- GERO 404 Health and Illness in Later Life
- GERO 406 Death and Dying
- GERO 407 Nutrition and Aging (Distance)
- GERO 408 Families and Aging (Distance)
- GERO 409 Mental Health and Aging
- GERO 410 Topics in gerontology
- GERO 411 Special Topics: Culture, Migration and Aging (Distance)
- GERO 412 Long Term Care Administration
- GERO 413 Sexuality and Aging (Distance)
- GERO/SA 420 Sociology of Aging (Distance)
- GERO 450 Evaluation of Health Programs for Older Adults
- GERO 801 Health Policy and Applied Issues in Gerontology
- GERO 802 Development and Evaluation of Health Promotion Programs for the Elderly
- GERO 803 Analytical Techniques for Gerontology Research
- GERO 804 Advanced Qualitative Research Methods in Gerontology
- GERO 806 Interdisciplinary Theories in Gerontology
- GERO 810 Community-Based Housing
- GERO 811 Institutional Living Environments
- GERO 820 Principles and Practices of Health Promotion
- GERO 822 Families, Communities and Health
- GERO 823 Mental Health and Illness in Later Life
- GERO 830 Technology and Aging
- GERO 840 Health Care Issues for Minority Older Adults
Courses on aging outside of Gerontology
- EDUC 351 Teaching the Older Adult
- BPK 105 Human Structure & Function
- BPK 461 Physiological Aspects of Aging
- PSYC 357 Adulthood and Aging
- SA 319 Culture, Ethnicity and Aging
Terminology for Gerontology searches
Terminology to consider for finding material for Gerontology for either Keyword or Subject searching. Remember to use the truncation symbol, the asterisk (*), to find various endings of a particular word, and quotation marks ("") for phrase searching:
- seniors or elderly or "older persons" or "older adults" or gerontolog* or geriatr* or aging
- To limit your search to Canada, add geographic terms, e.g. : canad* or bc or british columb*
- Truncation does not work in Google/Google Scholar, so you need to type out variants e.g.: gerontology or gerontological
- You do not need to use the search string in the Ageline database, listed above in Highlighted Resources, as it is all about older people
New Gerontology books
- Consolationscapes in the face of loss : grief and consolation in space and time
- The role of grandparents in the 21st century : global perspectives on changing roles and consequences
- The well-being of Chinese older adults : application of the person-environment fit theory
- Death and dying : end-of-life controversies
- Fresh perspectives on later life learning
- With the End in Mind: Dying.
- Ethnomorality of care : migrants and their aging parents
- DEMENTIA IS DIFFERENT : not just another ordinary illness.
- Creativity in Later Life Beyond Late Style.
- Aging in the family
- Human Services and Long-term Care : a Market Model.
- Handbook of Mental Health and Aging.
- Life after work : a psychological guide to a healthy retirement
- Euthanasia, ethics and public policy : an argument against legalisation
- Ageing, physical activity and health : international perspectives
- Aging and the work in the 21st century