Due to the COVID-19 health event, the SFU Library's InterLibrary Loans service can only provide limited service. We are unable to obtain and/or circulate physical materials due to the physical closure of the SFU Library and the closure of libraries around the world. We will continue with delivery of copies in digital formats to the extent possible. Please keep in your possession any physical ILL items from SFU that you have and return them when full service resumes.
To find out if there's a copy in another library system near you, you may also search other libraries' catalogues.
How to place an interlibrary loan request:
- Video Tutorial on COVID-19 and placing ILL requests.
- Go to Citation Finder, part of the SFU Library Catalogue, and sign in (upper right hand corner of screen) with your SFU computing id and password.
- Choose either the Article option or Book option from Citation Finder.
- For book chapters choose the Article option and for microfilm, theses, reports choose the Book option.
- Enter the details for your item and click on Submit.
- If SFU Library does not hold the item you are looking for you'll be given the option of requesting the item from another library. Click on the Interlibrary Loans link at this point.
- Fill in any missing information on the ILL request form and make sure to choose a need by date and to select a pick up location for physical items.
- The InterLibrary Loans service is free of charge for SFU faculty, staff and students.
- Articles usually arrive in 1-3 days. Books usually arrive between 3-8 days. Items coming from outside Canada may take up to 14 days or longer to arrive.
- You will receive an email notification when your item arrives, or if your request could not be filled.
- Books are picked up from whichever SFU campus library you designated as your pick-up location. Articles are delivered to you via email.
- You may request items which the SFU Library already owns if:
- the item is out on loan to another person and you need the item somewhat urgently
- if there are multiple holds or requests on the item
- if the item is missing from the collection.
- For more information, see InterLibrary Loans: Borrowing materials from other libraries.
Please see our ILL guide for other libraries.