Due to COVID-19, SFU Library's Interlibrary Loans (ILL) is able to provide limited service. We will attempt to fulfill ILL requests placed by SFU patrons, but due to the ongoing closures of many libraries we may not be able to obtain your requested material. As well, it will take longer than usual for ILL to obtain materials for you. Copies will be delivered to you digitally. Physical items will be available for pick-up using the Library's Contactless Pickup service - if you cannot come to a SFU campus to pick up your physical ILL material please do not place a request for it.
If you have physical ILL items you can return them to the Burnaby, Surrey or Vancouver campus libraries.
We are providing regular ILL lending services to external libraries.
Can't find what you need at the SFU Library? Request it from Interlibrary Loans and we'll find it and bring it in from another library through Interlibrary Loans.
To find out if there's a copy in another library system near you, you may also search other libraries' catalogues.
How to place an interlibrary loan request:
- Go to Citation Finder, part of the SFU Library Catalogue, and sign in (upper right hand corner of screen) with your SFU computing id and password.
- Choose either the Article option or Book option from Citation Finder.
- For book chapters choose the Article option and for microfilm, theses, reports choose the Book option.
- Enter the details for your item and click on Submit.
- If SFU Library does not hold the item you are looking for you'll be given the option of requesting the item from another library. Click on the Interlibrary Loans link at this point.
- Fill in any missing information on the ILL request form and make sure to choose a need by date and to select a pick up location for physical items.
- The Interlibrary Loans service is free of charge for SFU faculty, staff and students.
- Articles usually arrive in 1-3 days. Books usually arrive between 3-8 days. Items coming from outside Canada may take up to 14 days or longer to arrive.
- You will receive an email notification when your item arrives, or if your request could not be filled.
- Books are picked up from whichever SFU campus library you designated as your pick-up location.
- Articles and other copies are delivered via email and require you to use your Library barcode to access the document.
- You may request items which the SFU Library already owns if:
- the item is out on loan to another person and you need the item somewhat urgently
- if there are multiple holds or requests on the item
- if the item is missing from the collection.
- For more information, see Interlibrary Loans: Borrowing materials from other libraries.
Please see our ILL guide for other libraries.