On this page
For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 / firstname.lastname@example.org) Monday (wfh) to Thursday ;
Instructor: Dr. Irving Rootman
"This course is designed to cover and critically examine concepts, models, theories, and practices of health promotion specific to aging populations. It will cover the origins and development of health promotion, population health and health education theories and frameworks, current approaches to health promotion, and applications targeting specific groups of older adults. Students will gain an understanding of the major issues surrounding health promotion and health education at the level of the individual, social network, institution, community, and public policy." [Note: for further information see the course outline]
Health behavior and health education : theory, research, and practice [print]
Guidebook that discusses the foundations of health behaviour as well as different models, combines theory, research, and practice to provide a comprehensive overview on health behaviour and education.
Health promotion in Canada : critical perspectives on practice [print]
This text is a "comprehensive profile of the history and future of health promotion in Canada," focusing on the issues and concepts most crucial to the Canadian context.
Use the SFU catalogue to find books.
Online journal databases
To find journal articles and government reports, use the following databases:
- Ageline - the major social gerontology database
- Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris - database for Canadian e-books, health and public policy documents (Same terms: Aged; Health promotion)
- Canadian Research Index - Canadian government publications (Sample terms: Health promotion; Public health)
- Achieving Health for All: A Framework for Health Promotion - a 1986 Health Canada report that examines health promotion in Canada as an "integration of ideas from several arenas of public health, health education and public policy."
- Action statement for Health Promotion in Canada - 1996 action report from the Canadian Public Health Association that breaks down and describes ways for improving efforts for promoting health
- Bangkok Charter for Health Promotion in a Globalized World - WHO report focused on "identifies actions, commitments and pledges required to address the determinants of health in a globalized world through health promotion."
- A new perspective on the health of Canadians - 1974 Health Canada report that "identifies two main health-related objectives: the health care system; and prevention of health problems and promotion of good health."
- Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion - 1986 World Health Organization (WHO) publication that "focused on the [public health] needs in industrialized countries, but took into account similar concerns in all other regions."
Health promotion for older adults
- Arthritis Society - Canadian organization focused on "providing education, programs and support" to those with Arthritis; source of research and information on arthritis
- Canadian Study of Health and Aging: Study methods and prevalence of dementia - journal article analyzing the prevalence of dementia in five Canadian regions
- Dare to age well - website published by the Division of Aging and Seniors Health Canada; contains publications from Health Canada
- Dependency, chronic conditions and pain in seniors - Health Reports Supplement that examines the prevalence of dependency and chronic conditions amongst older Canadian adults
- General Social Survey: Time Use - Statistics Canada study examining how Canadians spend their time
- Healthy Aging Through Healthy Living - report that provides "an evidence based framework for a comprehensive approach and establishes the Ministry of Health's strategic platform for healthy aging"
- How Healthy Are Canadians? - report on the health of Canadians which focuses on differences in health between men and women
- Measured obesity: adult obesity in Canada: measured height and weight - Statistics Canada report
- Preventing Chronic Diseases: A Vital Investment - WHO global report on chronic diseases which "presents a state-of-the-art guide to effective and feasible interventions; and provides practical suggestions for how countries can implement these interventions to respond successfully to the growing epidemics"
- Population Projections for Canada (2013 to 2063) - Statistics Canada publication that provides population projections based on census data
- Social Capital in Action Thematic Policy Studies - Policy Research Initiative report on social relationships as a form of capital; see section: The Role of Social Capital in Aging Well
Paradigm shifts in the health arena
- BC Healthy Communities - province-wide organization that promotes healthy living; provides research and resources on topics including aging well
- Black's Medical Dictionary [print] - comprehensive medical dictionary for non-experts
- Healthy Cities, Healthy Children - commentary published by the UNICEF Progress of Nations
- Health Promotion Glossary - glossary published by the World Health Organization including information and definitions for terms related to health promotion
- The Quality of Life Model - information on model created by the Quality of Life Research Unit at the University of Toronto
- Twenty Steps for Developing a Healthy Cities Project - WHO publication on the Healthy Cities Project which "provide a vehicle for the application of health for all (HFA) principles at the local level."
Predictors of Healthy Aging
- Active Ageing: A Policy Framework - WHO publication that proposes questions and discussion on issues related to aging for policy makers
- Aging and Seniors - online portal for publications of the Division of Aging and Seniors of the Public Health Agency of Canada
Other useful web sites and books
- Ageing- website for United Nations Division for Social Policy and Development providing information on current issues as well as resources
- Health Promotion - Health Canada webpage providing links on topics of health promotion
- Seniors - Health Canada webpage providing information and resources on senior health
- Shape the Future of Health Care - information about the Commission on the Future of Health Care in Canada: The Romanow Commission