For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 (Tuesdays and Thursdays) or email@example.com) Monday to Thursday at Belzberg Library or Ask a Librarian.
- Start your research here - an overview of the research process
- Moving from citation to article - "how to get your hands on journal articles". Includes a useful section on decoding citations: book, book chapter or article?
- The collective spirit of aging across cultures
- Diversity and aging among immigrant seniors in Canada: Changing faces and greying temples [print]
- Exploring change in the meaning of home for South Asian Indians who immigrate in late-life [SFU thesis]
To find more books, search the SFU catalogue -- sample subject headings:
Ageline - major database for social gerontology. Sample terms: Minority Groups ; Foreign Origin Adaptation; Social Networks; Canada or Outside United States; Indians; Racial and Ethnic Groups
- CINAHL Complete - nursing and allied health Sample terms: Minority groups ; Ethnic Groups
- Medline - major medical database Sample terms: Minority Groups; Minority Health. You can Limit searches by Age Related (Aged: 65+ years)
- Sociological Abstracts - database for sociology including social work Sample terms: Minority groups; Ethnic groups; Elderly
- PsycINFO - major psychology database Sample terms Minority Groups; Racial and Ethnic Groups; You can Limit searches by Age Groups (Aged: 65+ years)
For more articles you might want to browse Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology Sample articles: Older Asian Indians resettled in America: narratives about households, culture and generation; "Waves” of Asian Indian Elderly Immigrants: What Can Practitioners Learn?; and Older Asian Indians resettled in America: narratives about households, culture and generation.
See also course page for SA 100: Perspectives on Canadian Society
Associations and Web pages
- BC Care Providers Association
- British Columbia Seniors Living Association (BCSLA) (Dec 2018 not working - temporarily?)
- Family and Relationships - Canadian Immigrant magazine
- Senior's mental health - self help resources from HeretoHelp (BC), including: Ethnocultural Elders and Mental Health
Immigration and ethnocultural diversity Statistics Canada subject, including: