On this page
For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 (inaccessible due to library closure) or email@example.com) Monday to Thursday at Belzberg Library or Ask a Librarian.
Instructor: Sharon Koehn, Ph.D.
"Canada is experiencing two major demographic shifts by age and ethnicity. Over the next 30 years, the population aged over 65 years is expected to double to almost 25% of Canada’s population. Similarly, the proportions of immigrants and visible minorities will increase sharply, particularly in Canada’s major urban centres..."
Note: For more information see the GERO 411 course outline and page on Canvas. If there are discrepancies between information listed on this page and that in Canvas or instructor handouts, please refer to the latter. See also as well as Dr. Koehn's publications profile.
Services for Distance Education students
Consult the guide Services for Distance Education students if you are off campus.
- Start your research here - an overview of the research process
- Moving from citation to article - "how to get your hands on journal articles". Includes a useful section on decoding citations: book, book chapter or article?
- The collective spirit of aging across cultures
- Diversity and aging among immigrant seniors in Canada: Changing faces and greying temples [print]
- Exploring change in the meaning of home for South Asian Indians who immigrate in late-life [SFU thesis]
To find more books, search the SFU catalogue -- sample subject headings:
Ageline - major database for social gerontology. Sample terms: Minority Groups ; Foreign Origin Adaptation; Social Networks; Canada or Outside United States; Indians; Racial and Ethnic Groups
- CINAHL Complete - nursing and allied health Sample terms: Minority groups ; Ethnic Groups
- Medline - major medical database Sample terms: Minority Groups; Minority Health. You can Limit searches by Age Related (Aged: 65+ years)
- Sociological Abstracts - database for sociology including social work Sample terms: Minority groups; Ethnic groups; Elderly
- PsycINFO - major psychology database Sample terms Minority Groups; Racial and Ethnic Groups; You can Limit searches by Age Groups (Aged: 65+ years)
For more articles you might want to browse Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology Sample articles: Older Asian Indians resettled in America: narratives about households, culture and generation; "Waves” of Asian Indian Elderly Immigrants: What Can Practitioners Learn?; and Older Asian Indians resettled in America: narratives about households, culture and generation.
See also course page for SA 100: Perspectives on Canadian Society
Associations and Web pages
- BC Care Providers Association
- British Columbia Seniors Living Association (BCSLA) (Dec 2018 not working - temporarily?)
- Family and Relationships - Canadian Immigrant magazine
- Senior's mental health - self help resources from HeretoHelp (BC), including: Ethnocultural Elders and Mental Health
Immigration and ethnocultural diversity Statistics Canada subject, including: