FAQs Browse

Accessing Thomson Reuters Eikon + Datastream in the Segal Graduate School of Business (SFU Vancouver)


The Segal installation of Thomson Reuters Eikon + Datastream, at the Segal Graduate School of Business building at SFU Vancouver, is unavailable as long as the financial data lab in Segal remains inaccessible due to COVID-19 closures.

However, we have set up temporary remote access procedures for Eikon + Datastream (below). 

NOTE: BEAM students should contact Mark Bodnar, Business & Economics Librarian, to discuss access to a special version of Eikon licensed for their needs.

Remote access to Eikon & Datastream during the COVID-19 disruption

While SFU Library buildings are closed, current SFU researchers are able to borrow login IDs for off-campus access to Thomson Reuters Eikon+Datastream. 

To request an ID and password:

  • send an email to eikon-loanable@sfu.ca 
  • be sure to send it from your SFU address
  • include your full name and your SFU computing ID.

Getting and using an ID 

We will email you with your ID and instructions for accessing the resource.

Three IDs are available. If all three are in use, we will put you in a queue for the next available ID. 

You can use an ID for up to three days. If you finish early, please email us so that we can allow the next researcher to get access sooner.

If we all work together, we can share this valuable resource.

Ways to access 

Web-based access

This approach only requires Internet access and a web browser and works on all types of computers. It allows for access to most Eikon data and functionality. It also provides access to Datastream content, but with significantly reduced functionality. 

If your research requires large amounts of Datastream data, you should consider installing the software instead.

Installed access (Windows only) 

This approach provides full content and functionality for both Eikon and Datastream, but it is only available for computers that use a Windows operating system. 

You will need to download and install the Eikon software, as well as Excel add-ins for both Eikon and Datastream.  

  The software can only be installed on Windows-based computers (i.e., not on MacOS-based computers). Mac users are only able to use the web-based access option.

Am I allowed to copy fair dealing amounts from more than one edition of the same textbook?

No. Although each textbook edition is its own copyright protected work, the differences between the editions are often marginal and do not justify copying allowable amounts from multiple editions of the same textbook.

For example: You cannot copy chapter 3 from the 2nd edition and chapter 4 from the 3rd edition, and make those available to your students.

Are government documents protected by copyright?

Yes, all government documents created in Canada are protected by copyright. Federal, territorial and provincial government documents are protected by Crown copyright and the term of Crown copyright is 50 years after the date of publication.

Municipal government documents are not covered by Crown copyright, but instead fall under the normal copyright term of life of the creator plus 50 years. Check the website of the municipal government whose documents you wish to reproduce to see if they allow for reproduction for educational, non-commercial, or research purposes.

For further information on the use of federal government documents that are under Crown copyright see About Crown Copyright.

For further information about the use of BC government documents that are under Crown copyright see BC Government copyright page, Guidelines Covering the Reproduction of Provincial Legislation, and the Crown copyright section of the Ministry of Finance procurement handbook.

Are students allowed to film my lectures?

Under Policy R30.03, SFU's Intellectual Property Policy, instructors own copyright in their research and their teaching materials, including lectures (both written notes and the "performance" of the lecture), slide presentations and exams. This means that generally, students cannot film your lecture, copy your notes or slides, or post these materials online without your permission.

However, students still have the users' rights outlined in the Copyright Act, which means that within the limits of fair dealing, they can copy short excerpts of your work without permission.

Additionally, you are required to accommodate students who need teaching materials in alternate formats due to a disability. Students registered with the Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) can record your entire lecture or copy your slides if they need to. These copies are for their own personal use only, though, and cannot be shared or posted online. Such students should identify themselves to you in advance. Contact the Centre for Accessible Learning (formerly: the Centre for Students with Disabilities) with any questions about these requirements.

You are welcome to inform your students that they cannot record your lectures; the Copyright Office provides sample syllabus text you can use, or you can write your own.

Contact the Copyright Office (copy@sfu.ca) with any questions.

Are there any databases of materials that I can use for free without worrying about copyright?

Yes. There is a wealth of material out there which is either in the public domain (meaning copyright has expired) or available under Creative Commons licensing, which generally means the work is available for free, subject to certain limited conditions, such as non-commercial use only and acknowledgment of the author. This includes open access publications, which generally use Creative Commons licenses.

For Creative Commons materials, visit the Creative Commons website for more information and check out their content directories which list audio, video, image and text materials available under Creative Commons licensing, or search using their Search page. To find open access materials, start with the Copyright Resources and Links for Instructors page.

For public domain material, simply search online for ‘public domain’ and the type of material you’re interested in. Some useful sites include: Project Gutenberg (the largest collection of copyright-free books online) and Wikipedia, which has an entire page dedicated to public domain resources

For other online materials, a recommended best practice is to check the website’s ‘Terms of Use’ or ‘Legal Notices’ section to confirm what conditions apply to use of the website’s material. In some cases, you may be able to use the material for free for non-commercial and educational purposes.

Are there any limits on the rights of copyright owners?

Yes. Copyright can expire (the “life plus 50” rule) and works will become part of the public domain. Material in public domain may be freely copied without permission or payment of royalties. There are also exceptions to the rights of copyright owners built into the Copyright Act, such as "fair dealing." The fair dealing exception attempts to balance the rights of the copyright owner with the needs of others, for example students and researchers, who require access to copyright protected material to pursue their studies and research activities.

Are there any lockers in the library where I can store my belongings?

Due to construction at At WAC Bennett Library there are no day lockers available.  For longer-term lockers on campus see Locker rentals.

Day-use lockers are available to graduate students in the Research Commons, Floor 7 of the WAC Bennett Library, SFU Burnaby.

At the Fraser Library, SFU Surrey,  lockers are not available, but there are lockers you can rent on the campus. See the Guide for New Surrey Students:  Student Lockers for more details. 

At SFU Vancouver, there are no lockers in the library, but book lockers are available on the second and seventh floor of Harbour Centre building on a first-come, first-serve basis. Visit Registrar and Information Services on the main level of Harbour Centre for more information, or contact them.

Are there any restrictions on posting an instructor’s notes on Library Reserves?

Instructors may have their notes posted on Library Reserves. In addition they may provide notes that include copyright protected material as long as they have the right under fair dealing or another exception to include the material. Send the material to be posted to lib-reservesurl@sfu.ca for courses at SFU Burnaby and SFU Vancouver and to fraser_library@sfu.ca for courses at SFU Surrey.

Are there limits to how much data I can export from SimplyAnalytics?

Yes, there are.

Points (company records) limits per individual account:

  • One time: 5,000
  • Weekly: 15,000
  • Annually: 40,000

Variable limits per individual account:

SimplyAnalytics has weekly download limits per individual account equivalent to 5 variables with 100,000 locations, 200 variables with 2,500 locations, or any other combination that equals 500,000.


Note that these limits apply to individual accounts that you set up within SimplyAnalytics, and that they are only on exports of data tables, not on viewing of data, reports, and maps within the database.

For more information, contact our Electronic Resources Librarian: lib-licensing@sfu.ca.

Are there quiet and silent study areas in the Library?


There are several quiet study areas in the W.A.C. Bennett Library (SFU Burnaby): Room 5102 and all of the 6th floor has been designated as a silent study. There are designated quiet study carrells on floor 4 and floor 5.

At the Belzberg Library (SFU Vancouver), the quiet study area is located in the north room of the mezzanine.

At the Fraser Library (SFU Surrey) there is a "silent study" room. Ask at the reference desk for directions to the room.

All quiet or silent study areas will have their policies enforced. This means keeping cell phone conversations to the stairwells and keeping conversations to a minimum (in quiet study - no conversations in silent study). Please only use these areas if you plan to use them as intended.