On this page
Ongoing beginner and advanced in-person GIS workshops are offered by SFU Library's Research Commons. GIS workshops are open to students, faculty, and staff.
Custom GIS training sessions are available for classes, research groups, and other groups of brand new or experienced GIS users. Please contact Julie Jones, GIS & Map Librarian | Liaison Librarian for Geography, at email@example.com to discuss options.
Self-paced online courses
SFU has purchased a site license, which gives current students, faculty, and staff access to the Esri Training self-paced courses free of charge. For beginners to advanced users, these courses cover a variety of GIS topics and provide hands-on experience with downloadable ArcGIS software. To take courses free of charge, follow these steps:
- Explore the courses available via Esri Training. There are many free courses, but SFU students, faculty, and staff also have access to the self-paced online courses. Instructor-led in-person Esri courses are not covered by our license.
- Request access to Esri Training by sending an email to gis-software[at]sfu.ca. In your email, please include your SFU ID number.
- Log in to the Esri Training site using the instructions that will be sent to you.
- Complete the course at your own pace. Consider adding it to your CV.
GIS courses in the Lynda.com Online Training Library
SFU students, faculty, and staff have access to the Lynda.com Online Training Library, which includes self-paced video courses on many aspects of GIS (as well as many other software programs!). Some of these courses require to download GIS software. You must create a Lynda.com profile in order to access the training library. Once logged in to Lynda.com, look for the following GIS courses by running a keyword search for GIS or QGIS:
- ArcGIS Essential Training
- Learning ArcGIS
- Learning QGIS
- ArcGIS Pro Essential Training
- Real-World GIS
- GIS on the Web
Other recommended GIS training resources
Both the University of Toronto Mississauga Library and the University of Waterloo's Geospatial Centre have excellent suites of quick GIS tutorials:
- GIS & Data Tutorials, University of Toronto Mississauga Library
- GIS-related Podcasts and Tutorials, Geospatial Centre, University of Waterloo
GIS books at SFU Library
A sample of GIS books available at the Library: