On this page
Course guides focused on geospatial data sources
SFU-purchased data (SFU login or librarian-mediated access)
The licensed geospatial data that SFU Library has purchased are available for instant download in SFU's section of Abacus. Browse datasets or use the search box in the top right to search by keyword(s). Abacus also contains statistical and numeric data. See also the Public Data Collection in Abacus (no login required).
A collection of detailed geospatial data for Canada that includes current and historic datasets of road networks, parks, water bodies and rivers, rail infrastructure, business locations and building footprints, digital elevation models, neighbourhood and community boundaries, postal codes, and more. The many DMTI datasets that SFU Library has access to are stored in Abacus (link above). The most recent DMTI data is the CanMap Content Suite, v2016.3.
Integrated Cadastral Information Society (ICIS) Data
Use the ICIS BC Spatial Public Map Viewer to quickly and easily view ICIS data. The GIS & Map Librarian (Julie Jones; email@example.com) can download the following datasets on behalf of SFU researchers:
- Cadastral data for all of BC
- AddressBC Data
- Assessment Fabric Layer Data from BC Assessment
- Canadian Wildlife Service
- Agricultural Land Reserve
- Health Authority Locations
- Conservation Parcels
- Police Jurisdictions
BC Geographic Data - Many products on this page are free and can be downloaded by anyone. However, some have a cost. The GIS & Map Librarian (Julie Jones; firstname.lastname@example.org) can download the following products on behalf of SFU researchers for free or a reduced cost. These products are for academic use only.
- Terrain Resource Information Management Program (TRIM) data - Contains two geospatial datasets: TRIM DEM, which consists of shapefiles for elevation points and breaklines, and TRIM Positional, which consists of various layers for contours, cultural features, landcover, transportation and water. Both sets are for a scale of 1:20,000.
- Hillshade Imagery
- TRIM gridded DEM map sheet (25 m resolution)
- Orthophotos - Available at a reduced rate of $25 per mapsheet for SFU researchers. Many lower resolution scans available for free via the Province's Orthophoto Viewer.
- Digital airphotos High resolution TIFFs available at a reduced rate of $18.50 per photo for SFU researchers. Many lower resolution scans available for free via the Province's Air Photo Viewer and Historical Air Photo Index Map Viewer. Also of note: the Geographic Information Centre (GIC) at UBC has the largest collection of hard copy air photos in BC and scans may be obtained by visiting the GIC in person.
LandScan Global Population
Country-level demographic data, 1st level admin demographic data, pixel (1km²) level data, and a layer with area calculations for population density. Country and 1st level admin level data include age, gender, and age-by-gender population breakdowns.
Selected open geospatial data sources
Includes many open datasets, including Census Boundary Files from 1911-2011.
Government of Canada Open Data Portal
Search by keyword and use the options on the right of the page to limit to geospatial data. There is an option to limit to shapefile (SHP) under File Format.
Open data portals across Canada
Not an exhaustive list. If you don't see the area that you're looking for, try searching for the name of your municipality, region, or province + "open data" in Google. Note that sometimes you won't find data at the most granular level and will have to take a step back—for example, you can often use regional, provincial, or even national data to get a municipality.
National Soil DataBase (NSDB)
Soil, landscape, and climatic data for all of Canada. The NSDB includes GIS coverages at a variety of scales.
Abacus Public Data Collection
British Columbia Research Libraries Data Services
BC Open Data Catalogue, including spatial data.
Metro Vancouver Open Data Catalogue
Geospatial data for Greater Vancouver region.
Province of BC Geographic Data and Services
Provides links to a number of important resources, including web mapping applications, raw data catalogues, and location services such as BC Physical Address Geocoder, Geographical Names Web Service, and Route Planner.
US Government open data portal
A range of data products including:
- USGS Geo Data Portal: Main catalog of available datasets.
- USGS Land Cover Institute (LCI): Comprehensive collection of global land cover data.
- National Map Small-Scale Collection: 197 small-scale downloadable datasets.
Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing (TIGER)
United States Census Bureau data.
Open Data Inception - 2600+ Open Data Portals Around the World
List maintained by OpenDataSoft.
European Union Open Data Portal
Open data produced by the institutions of the EU arranged by subject.
United Nations Cartographic Section
General maps of countries and regions, peacekeeping maps, thematic maps and more.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) GeoNetwork
Interactive maps, GIS datasets, and satellite imagery.
Ordnance Survey Open Data (UK)
Open datasets provided by Britain's mapping agency.
A collaborative catalog of open data websites from around the world.