On this page
Course guides focused on geospatial data sources
SFU-purchased data (SFU login or librarian-mediated access)
The licensed geospatial data that SFU Library has purchased are available for instant download in SFU's section of Abacus. Browse datasets or use the search box in the top right to search by keyword(s). All of the DMTI Spatial datasets are in Abacus. This is a popular collection of detailed geospatial data for Canada that includes current and historic datasets of road networks, parks, water bodies and rivers, rail infrastructure, business locations and building footprints, digital elevation models, neighbourhood and community boundaries, postal codes, and more. The most recent DMTI data is the 2019 CanMap Content Suite.
Abacus also contains statistical and numeric data.
See also the Public Data Collection in Abacus (no login required).
Integrated Cadastral Information Society (ICIS) Data
Read about ICIS data here. The GIS & Map Librarian (Sarah (Tong) Zhang; firstname.lastname@example.org) can download the following datasets on behalf of SFU researchers. These datasets can be downloaded by regional district or for the entire province. Download the list for available dataset (on Abacus, under the Data&Analysis tab, ICIS_File_Manifest.pdf) to see what files are available.
- Cadastral data for all of BC
- AddressBC Data - A central authoritative, accurate and accessible point-based civic address registry for British Columbia.
- BC Assessment Data - Geospatial representation of the assessment roll. It contains a record for almost every assessed property in British Columbia. Unlike a legal cadastre fabric, it is an ownership fabric. This means there may be many legal lots represented by one assessed property or folio.
- Canadian Wildlife Service
- Agricultural Land Reserve
- Health Authority Locations
- Conservation Parcels
- Police Jurisdictions
BC Geographic Data - Many products on this page are free and can be downloaded by anyone, Raster Topographic Maps, for example. However, some have a cost. The GIS & Map Librarian (Sarah (Tong) Zhang; email@example.com) can download the following products on behalf of SFU researchers for free or a reduced cost. These products are made accessible to the SFU community via a license agreement negotiated by the Library and are for academic use only.
- Terrain Resource Information Management Program (TRIM) data - Contains two geospatial datasets:
- TRIM DEM - consists of shapefiles for elevation points and breaklines; these data can be used to create your own elevation or surface models. 1:20,000.
- TRIM Positional - consists of various layers for contours, cultural features, land cover, transportation and water. 1:20,000.
- Hillshade Imagery
- TRIM gridded DEM map sheet (25 m resolution)
- Orthophotos - Available at a reduced rate of $25 per mapsheet for SFU researchers. Many lower resolution scans available for free via the Province's Orthophoto Viewer.
- Digital airphotos High resolution TIFFs available at a rate of $18.50 per photo for SFU researchers. Many lower resolution scans available for free via the Province's Air Photo Viewer and Historical Air Photo Index Map Viewer. Also of note: the Geographic Information Centre (GIC) at UBC has the largest collection of hard copy air photos in BC and scans may be obtained by visiting the GIC in person.
LandScan Global Population
Country-level demographic data, 1st level admin demographic data, pixel (1km²) level data, and a layer with area calculations for population density. Country and 1st level admin level data include age, gender, and age-by-gender population breakdowns.
Covid-19 Specific GIS Data [new]
- BC COVID-19 Dashboard (mobile and most browsers)
- BC COVID-19 Dashboard for Internet Explorer users
- Hosted feature layers that the dashboard is based on (that you can open, manipulate, and analyze within ArcGIS online map viewer, or ArcGIS Desktop) :
- Note: the finest geographic granularity for BC data is HDSA (Health Service Delivery Areas), which is at a sub-health region level.
University of Toronto Map and Data Library's Covid-19 GIS & Maps guide
A guide on Covid-19 related spatial data for provinces/territories level, nationwide level, and global level.
UC Berkeley Library's Covid-19 Specific GIS Resources
A guide on Covid-19 cases data, mobility data, and economic stimulus data.
Selected open geospatial data sources
An open-source geospatial discovery platform for Canadian open research data, indexing data from Scholars Portal Dataverse and Federated Research Data Repository (FRDR), which includes content from over 70 Canadian research data repositories. It is a map-based searching interface, meaning you can point to a location on the map and get geospatial research datasets retrieved back to you.
Includes many open datasets, including Census Boundary Files from 1911-2011.
Government of Canada Open Data Portal
Search by keyword and use the options on the right of the page to limit to geospatial data. There is an option to limit to shapefile (SHP) under File Format.
Open data portals across Canada
Not an exhaustive list. If you don't see the area that you're looking for, try searching for the name of your municipality, region, or province + "open data" in Google. Note that sometimes you won't find data at the most granular level and will have to take a step back—for example, you can often use regional, provincial, or even national data to get a municipality.
National Soil DataBase (NSDB)
Soil, landscape, and climatic data for all of Canada. The NSDB includes GIS coverages at a variety of scales.
Abacus Public Data Collection
British Columbia Research Libraries Data Services
Building Outline Repository
11,842,186 building footprint polygon geometries from all Canadian provinces and territories in GeoJSON format, produced by Stats Canada with Microsoft.
Metro Vancouver Open Data Catalogue
Geospatial data for Greater Vancouver region.
Province of BC Geographic Data and Services
Provides links to a number of important resources, including web mapping applications, raw data catalogues, and location services such as BC Physical Address Geocoder, Geographical Names Web Service, and Route Planner.
US Government open data portal
A range of data products including:
- USGS Geo Data Portal: Main catalog of available datasets.
- USGS Land Cover Institute (LCI): Comprehensive collection of global land cover data.
- National Map Small-Scale Collection: 197 small-scale downloadable datasets.
Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing (TIGER)
United States Census Bureau data.
Open Data Inception - 2600+ Open Data Portals Around the World
List maintained by OpenDataSoft.
European Union Open Data Portal
Open data produced by the institutions of the EU arranged by subject.
United Nations Cartographic Section
General maps of countries and regions, peacekeeping maps, thematic maps and more.
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) GeoNetwork
Interactive maps, GIS datasets, and satellite imagery.
Ordnance Survey Open Data (UK)
Open datasets provided by Britain's mapping agency.
A collaborative catalog of open data websites from around the world.