On this page
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?,
- Finding and evaluating resources on the web
- Understanding and Avoiding Plagiariasm (tutorial)
- Library Research Tutorials
- Library Catalogue search guide | Catalogue search tips
- For help with writing essays:
Search tips & techniques
- Use "or" to combine same concept; Use "and" to combine different concepts.
- Use asterisk (*) the truncation symbol, for variation on endings of words (child* will find: child, children, childless, childlike). "$, ?, *, !" are common truncation symbols. Most use asterisk.
- Use "quotation marks" to search for an exact phrase
- When using one line search box, also put braces "()" around your synonyms. E.g. (elderly or seniors or aged)
- Alternate spellings: use American/Canadian spelling (honour or honor). Use abbreviations and full words (TV or television)
- Geographic concepts: Specific to broader ( Vancouver or BC or British Columbia or Canada or North America)
Alternate terms: Subject headings/Descriptors/Thesauri words (youth or adolescents or teenagers or young adults);
- Thesauri words increase relevancy.
If there is only "one-line search box", try using combining different concepts in the following way:
- (____________ or __________) AND (__________ or ________)
Get an overview of a topic. Use encyclopedias, handbooks or textbook for overviews, definitions, and to identify key authors and ideas.
- Family in Society: Essential Primary Sources
- International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family
- International encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences
- Sage eReference
How does divorce affect children in later life?
Identify the main concepts:
"Divorce" is one, "children in later life" is another, and "affect" is perhaps a third.
It is not really "children" that we are looking at, but when they become adults, what is the effect at that time
So, perhaps "adults" or "adult children" would work better.
Also, the term "later life" might work on its own.
divorce AND (impact* OR effect*) AND "adult children"
Find books in the Library
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marksto search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
- childcare AND canad*
- (family OR families) AND (gay OR lesbian)
- (family OR families) AND (poor OR low income)
- (family OR families) and (immigrant OR ethni*) AND canad*
- divorce AND families
- parent* AND divorce
- (women OR gender) AND (paid OR unpaid) AND canad*
Look at the titles in the "results list" and for those books that look relevant, click on their subject headings.
Browse by subject
- Child Care -- Canada
- Child Care -- Government policy -- Canada
- Day Care Centers -- Canada
- Divorce -- Canada
- Families -- Canada
- Family policy -- Canada
- Families -- Philippines
- Gay parents
- Immigrant Families -- Canada
- Single Parent Families
- Work and family -- Canada
- Working mothers -- Canada
How to find journal articles tutorial
For a more complete list of Sociology databases
If the full text of the article is not available, use the "Get@SFU" link to find it.
Try the same search strategy that you had used in the Library Catalogue.
- Sociological Abstracts: major database for all aspects of Sociology.
For the Canadian angle, try
CBCA Complete - Canadian content. News and popular magazine articles as well as academic journal articles.
Limit to "Scholarly" articles
- Canadian Newsstream -- fulltext of Canadian newspapers
Government and statistics
Check out the tabs at the top
- Data tables by subject
Publications by subject
- Aboriginal peoples
- Children and youth
- Ethnic diversity and immigration
- Families, households and housing
- Sex discrimination against women -- Canada
- Society and community
- Women and gender
Insights on Canadian Society (75-006-X) From Dec 2012 onwards
- Diversity of young adults living with their parents
Canadian Social Trends (11-008-XIE) - Discontinued.
Quarterly, discusses the social, economic, and demographic changes affecting the lives of Canadians; contains the latest figures for major social indicators.
Statistics Canada Publication Indexes Guides to Statistics Canada publications and data.
Index of downloadable Statistics Canada publications - Statistics Canada depository and free publications.