For citing research in your in-text citations and bibliography, refer to the following:
- SFU Library guides to citation styles: APA | MLA | Chicago/Turabian
- Includes a section on citing Indigenous Elders and Knowledge keepers by NorQuest College
- Finding and using online images Library guide
- Citing Statistical Data Library guide
- Citation or reference management tools collect your journal article, book, or other document citations together in one place, and help you create properly formatted bibliographies in almost any style — in seconds. Citation management tools help you keep track of your sources while you work and store your references for future use and reuse.
The Student Learning Commons (SLC) at the SFU Library provides assistance with a wide range of academic writing, learning, and study strategies through one-on-one consultations, workshops, handouts, and online guides for:
- Writing for university: Learn or review the strategies and processes involved in academic writing and research, including writing for specific genres or disciplines, drafting your paper, self-editing, and writing at the graduate level.
- Writing handouts: Find quick tips on how to structure your research and essay from this series of two-page handouts provided by the Student Learning Commons.
- Preparing and submitting your thesis: Find library and campus resources for the preparation and submission of your graduate thesis, extended essay or project.
- Plagiarism: Learn more about what plagiarism is ... and how you can avoid it! Or take the SFU Library's interactive tutorial Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism to test yourself and find out more about SFU's academic honesty and student conduct policies
- Use the Assignment Calculator to help you break down your writing assignments into a series of manageable steps. All you need to get started is the date your assignment is due.
For undergraduate student help, see the Student Learning Commons Consultation page.
For graduate student help, see Writing services offered by the Research Commons including consultations and Read Ahead.
For a more detailed guide on writing and citing, check Writing and style guides.