Films, videos, DVDs, sound recordings, slides
To find media resources, conduct a basic search and limit your search results by resource type:
- For films, videos, DVDs, music, sound recordings, or slides on your topic, search for Resource type: Audio Visual.
- For example, a SUBJECT search with dance or dancers or choreography, limited as above, will locate films, DVDs, music, sound recordings, slides, or scores related to dance.
Refine search results to find specific types of media:
- For films, videos, CDs, and DVDs on your topic, limit your search to Location: Media Collection CD/ DVD/ Video.
- For scores, limit your search to Resource type: Scores.
- For slides, limit your search to Location: Media Collection Slides.
The Slide Collection includes three slide sets on dance history, with accompanying pamphlets:
- Dance of the twentieth century, 1987, 300 slides [print]
- Survey of dance history, 1982, 200 slides [print]
- Last hundred years, 1983, 259 slides [print]
Audio visual includes DVDs and CDs as well as online material. CDs, DVDs, and other physical audio recordings, videos, and copies of the School of Contemporary Arts dance performances are held in the Media Resource Centre.
For copies of the School of Contemporary Arts dance performances, search for AUTHOR Simon Fraser University. School for Contemporary Arts.
Digital media online
The following databases available through the SFU Library will help you find online videos and sound recordings:
- Classical Music Library: Searchable database of online music, from classical to contemporary.
- Criterion on Demand: Streaming educationally relevant feature films and documentaries.
- Dance Online: Dance in Video: Streaming video of dance productions and documentaries by the most influential performers and companies of the 20th century.
- DRAM: High-quality streaming access to recordings by New World Records, CRI and other important labels. Includes folk, opera, jazz, musical theatre, contemporary and electronic music.
- Kanopy: Multidisciplinary collection including dance content from ADF Video, First Run Features, Michael Blackwood, Roland Films on Art and many others.
- National Film Board of Canada: Coverage ranges from historical films dating back to 1928 to current contemporary releases, including award-winning documentaries, animation and fiction.
- Smithsonian Global Sound: Searchable database of online music from around the world. Includes sound effects and spoken word recordings.
- Sound Ideas Sound Effects Libraries: Database of the sound tracks of sound effects CDs produced by Sound Ideas. Handy for dance sound composition. Use it to identify the CDs that have the sounds you need, then search the library catalogue with the TITLE "Sound ideas" to find out which of the CDs are available in the SFU Library.
Additional digital collections
- American Ballet Theatre: Online ballet dictionary: Interactive resource on 170 ballet terms and forms, demonstrated by ABT Company dancers.
- Calisphere: Museum of Performance and Design, Performing Arts Library: Gateway to still and moving images and audio recordings owned by the Museum of Performance + Design.
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) Digital Archives: Video and sound recordings featuring Canadian dancers and dancers in Canada.
- Jacob's Pillow Dance Interactive: Collection of multimedia essays on performances from Jacob's Pillow, America's longest running dance festival. Themes include Tap, Women in Dance, and Dance of African Diaspora.
- Jerome Robbins Dance: Moving Image Archive: New York Public Library digital collection of moving images and sound recordings.
- Numeridanse.tv: International online library of extracts or entire dance works, documentaries, interviews with artists and dance experts, teaching resources, and films.
- Performing Arts Encyclopedia: Explore music, theatre, and dance digital collections at the Library of Congress.
There are a number of sources for finding online images. For suggestions, refer to the SFU Library's comprehensive guide, Finding and Using Online Images.