On this page
Company and industry financial information
The following list contains our top resources for financial information -- good places to start your research.
- S&P Capital IQ: Global company, security, economic, and commodity data.
- Bloomberg: Real-time and historical information on bonds, equities, commodities, currencies and funds in international markets. Available at a standalone computer next to the scanners on the main floor of our Burnaby (WAC Bennett) Library.
- WRDS -Wharton Data Research Services: Platform for a variety of datasets in the fields of finance, accounting, banking and economics.
If the sources above don't cover what you need, try these additional financial data sources.
Statistics sources for business research
There are far too many statistics sources to list in one short guide, so we've listed a few of our favourite sources, as well as some more detailed SFU Library guides that you could check if these core sources don't have what you need.
Searching for the right statistic can be very difficult — you can quickly become overwhelmed by information, most of which isn't exactly what you need. As always, if you don't find what you need, contact the Business Librarian or use our Ask A Librarian email/chat/phone services.
- For more information on Canadian statistics, see the Library guides, Statistics - BC and Statistics - Canada.
- For suggestions concerning economic indicators, try the Library guide: Economic Indicators.
- For suggestions concerning company financial ratios, try the Library guide: Ratio Analysis.
- For suggestions concerning marketing data, see the Library guides: Market Research and International Market Research.
General and international
Data-Planet statistical datasets
A huge repository of time series data from sources ranging from Statistics Canada to the World Bank and the UN. Includes the ability to chart and combine data into customized views that can be saved for teaching and research. See these blog posts for details.
Simple, yet powerful portal that integrates statistics from thousands of sources on topics related to business, media, public policy, health and beyond.
Data & Statistics Information Sources
SFU Library's collection of data files. Start with their ABACUS data file download service for access to such files as Canadian Business Patterns, Inter-Corporate Ownership and the Survey of Household Spending.
UNdata - United Nations Statistical Common Database
A single entry point to more than 30 specialized international data sources covering all available countries and areas.
The place to start for current BC socio-economic statistics, including quick facts, historical tables, and population estimates/forecasts. Also check our guide to Statistics - BC.
Provides current and historical Canadian socio-economic statistics as well as descriptions of Statistics Canada's products and services. Always check the SFU Library Catalogue to see if we own the material that you find cited at the Statistics Canada site.
FedStats provides a convenient gateway to statistics produced by more than 100 US federal agencies.
Simple portal to statistics from many US federal departments and agencies.
- US Bureau of the Census
Locate detailed US socio-economic statistics based on the US Census and other surveys.