Bloomberg offers real-time and historical information on bonds, equities, commodities, currencies and funds in international markets. Bloomberg also provides company and executive profiles, analysts' forecasts, news on worldwide financial markets, and audio and video interviews and presentations by key players in business and finance.
A database that covers 60,000 publicly-traded companies + 217 million private companies from 225 countries. Includes detailed financials (with details on whether GAAP/IFRS, etc. were used). Also includes "peer group" analysis in which you can choose the factors that determine your peer group (national vs. global, number of companies, grouping by revenue/sales, etc.) and retrieve financial ratios for each peer. Note: For more advanced search and retrieval options with the same data, try ORBIS.
Thomson Reuters Eikon + Datastream
Detailed profiles of 70,000 companies including full Worldscope standardized fundamentals (1600+ items) and Reuters "as-stated" fundamentals, as well as lists of peer companies and their financial ratios.
Compustat - Capital IQ (North America & Global)
A database with financial data on thousands of publicly-traded companies from around the world. Compustat is not a simple database to use: expect to spend time practicing with it to get what you need. Compustat is available via WRDS. Undergraduate students should choose the "General access" option to use WRDS.
- Note: A quick route to US-traded company ratios within the WRDS version is to choose Compustat, then click on Tools, then Data and Ratios (XLS), then enter the ticker symbols of your target companies. Also, try the Complete Financial Statements (XLS) option in the same Tools area.
Business Source Complete
Scholarly and trade journals in all areas of business. Try searching for a combination of the name of an industry or company with Subjects such as Ratios or Ratio analysis or Investment analysis or Financial ratios or specific ratios such as Debt-to-equity ratio.
Dun & Bradstreet: Industry norms & key business ratios. (2001-2011 editions only)
Industry averages based on many private and public companies. The data in this source is classified by US Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes. You can browse the database to find your industry, or consult the SIC code manual [print or online].
Financial Performance Data (formerly known as the SME Benchmarking Tool and Performance Plus)
Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada: Performance benchmarks for small and medium-sized Canadian enterprises. Industry-level financials only - no named companies. Based on Revenue Canada data.
Search for your target company, then navigate to Financials/Valuation -- Ratios. NetAdvantage also includes the CFRA Equity Research Industry Surveys with strong US coverage (and some global coverage).
Quarterly financial report for manufacturing, mining and trade corporations. U.S. Census Bureau.
Industry-level data -- not company-specific data. Based on an extensive sample survey, the report presents estimated statements of income and retained earnings, balance sheets, and related financial and operating ratios for the domestic operations of all U.S. manufacturing corporations with domestic assets over $250,000, and U.S. corporations in the mining and trade areas with domestic assets over $50 million. Some older print editions available in the SFU Library.
- Financial performance indicators for Canadian business.
- Financial and taxation statistics for enterprises
- Quarterly financial statistics for enterprises
- Analyzing Your Financial Position -- part of the CCH Business Owner's Toolkit
- Ratio Analysis: Introduction -- from Investopedia
A few books to start you off:
- Analyzing financial ratios / American Institute of Certified Public Accountants [print]
- The art of company valuation and financial statement analysis: a value investor's guide with real-life case studies.
- 2014 [print]
- Canadian managerial finance. 3rd ed. 1989 [print]. See Ratio analysis, pp. 97-137.
- Edgar online guide to decoding financial statements: tips, tools, and techniques for becoming a savvy investor [print]
- Financial analysis and decision making: tools and techniques to solve financial problems and make effective business decisions. 2003 [print]
- Financial ratios. 2016.
- Financial ratios: how to use financial ratios to maximise value and success for your business. 2008 [print]
- Financial statement analysis: a practitioner's guide. 4th ed. 2011.
- Financial statement analysis: theory, application, and interpretation. 6th ed. 1998. [print]
- Financial statement analysis and security valuation. 2013. [print]
- The fundamentals of financial statement analysis as applied to the Coca-Cola Company. 2015.
- International financial statement analysis. 2012.
- The meaning of company accounts. 7th ed. 2000. [print]
- Techniques of financial analysis. 11th ed. 2003. [print]
- Winning business: how to use financial analysis and benchmarks to outscore your competition. 1999. [print]