This guide provides examples of citations of commonly-used sources, based on The Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed.), using notes/bibliography style only.
PDF format of this guide.For the best printing results, use the printer-friendly
Secondary sources (i.e. one source quoted in another)
The Chicago Manual encourages authors to look at the sources that they cite, however "[i]f an original source is unavailable... both the original and the secondary source must be listed."
More guidelines for citing this type of material can be found in section 14.260.
Book referenced in a journal article
In this case, Simone de Beauvoir's book, The Second Sex, is referenced in a journal article by Judith Butler.
1. Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex (New York: Vintage, 1974), 38, quoted in Judith Butler, "Performative Acts and Gender Constitution: An Essay in Phenomenology and Feminist Theory," Theatre Journal 40, no. 4 (1988): 519.
Beauvoir, Simone de. The Second Sex. New York: Vintage, 1974. Quoted in Judith Butler, "Performative Acts and Gender Constitution: An Essay in Phenomenology and Feminist Theory," Theatre Journal 40, no. 4 (1988): 519-31.
Article referenced in a book
To cite an article (Zukofsky's article) referenced in a book (Costello's book)
1. Louis Zukofsky, "Sincerity and Objectification," Poetry 37 (February 1931): 269, quoted in Bonnie Costello, Marianne Moore: Imaginary Possessions (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1981), 78.
Zukofsky, Louis. "Sincerity and Objectification." Poetry 37 (February 1931): 269. Quoted in Bonnie Costello, Marianne Moore: Imaginary Possessions (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1981).
- The style manual discourages writers from citing secondary sources. Whenever possible, the original source should be located and fully cited.
- In the footnote, start with the author and publication details of original work. Add the text "quoted in" and then add the author and publication details of the secondary work, the source you consulted. Make sure you use the correct format for a book or for an article (15.56).The original and the secondary source must both appear in the Bibliography.
- The style manual does not have an example for the Bibliography for secondary sources. The formatting of the examples are based on Turabian style, section 17.9.3.