On this page
Guides and Tutorials
- Research Tutorials
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- What is plagiarism? [guide]
- Writing and Style Guides (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- Internet Research: Finding and Evaluating Resources
At the start
- Thinking about your topic and look for background information (encyclopedias, handbooks, introductory texts).
- Brainstorm about keywords for each concept for your topic
- Create a search strategy before entering words into the search engine
- Make a note of any key authors or references
- Family in Society: Essential Primary Sources 2006
- International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family, 2nd ed., 2003
- Sage eReference - over 40 encyclopedias
Find Books in the Library
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
- (sexualit* or homosex* or transgend* or lesbian* or queer* or LGBT) and (youth or girl* or boys or young people)
- canad* and youth and family
TIP: Use "subject headings" found within the library record to find other useful book titles.
To search for books by subject heading, use the Browse Search option in the SFU Library Catalogue, then select Subject browse from the drop-down menu.
- Adolescence -- Canada
- Children -- Canada
- Children Canada -- Social Conditions
- Cyberbullying -- Canada
- Family Relationships -- See Families
- Families -- 63 Related Subjects
- Families -- Canada
- Gangs -- Canada
- Homeless -- Youth -- Canada
- Indigenous Youth -- Canada
- Internet And Teenagers -- Canada
- Teenagers -- Canada
- Teenagers -- Canada -- Social Conditions
- Youth Canada -- 3 Related Subjects
- Youth Canada
- Youth Canada -- Social Conditions
- Youth -- Employment -- Canada
- Youth -- Canada -- Economic conditions
- Youth -- Substance use -- Canada
Sociological / Anthropological
- Academic Search Complete - be sure to limit your search to "scholarly" articles by using the "refine search" button.
- AMMSA Archives -- fulltext of First Nations newspapers
- Bibliography of Native North Americans (BNNA) - from 17th century to present. Includes citations to books, articles, and government report about Native North American culture, history, and life, archaeology, multicultural relations, gaming, governance, legend, and literacy.
Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris
Contains the full text of public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups.
- CBCA Complete
- Communication & Mass Media Complete - Focus is on media & popular culture. Look for information on topics such as "influence of media on body image of women."
- Project MUSE Search -(Current from about 2000-- )Humanities and Social Science journals.
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Women's Studies International - key feminist database
Statistics Canada Website (new interface)