On this page
This guide provides resources on Aboriginal tourism.
Additional SFU Library guides
- BUEC Buzz BLOG: Business and BC's Indigenous Communities and Indigenous business books & e-books
- Indigenous business resources, Economic indicators, Market research
- Library guide for Executive MBA in Indigenous Business and Leadership - This guide was created to assist students in our EMBA program. It features detailed tips for finding books, sites, and articles both here at SFU and beyond.
- Belzberg Library Information for Graduate Business Programs. (Belzberg Library is located in downtown Vancouver)
- First Nations Research Resources - Designed for our First Nations Studies researchers, this guide will lead you to data, books, and more. Not a "business" focus, but some of the resources may still be useful. Be sure to explore the full table of contents, from dictionaries to additional guides on the web.
Selected reference works
- Handbook of marketing research methodologies for hospitality and tourism (2007) [print]
- Routledge handbook of cultural tourism (2012)
- Routledge handbook of tourism marketing (2014)
Find journal articles
- Business Source Complete Key resource for most business topics indexing thousands of business journals, industry magazines, and industry & market reports.
(aborig* or native* or "First Nations" or indigenous) AND (market* or tour* or ecotour* or eco-tour* or "heritage tour*" or "cultur* tour*") AND (canad* or BC or "British Columbia" or Ontario)
Results (These results were further limited by "Geography" of Canada and its provinces)
( aborig* or native* or "First Nations" or indigenous ) (AND Covid-19 or coronavirus or pandemic)
Results (These results can be further limited by "Subject" or "Geography")
(TI "industry profile") AND (TX marketline) AND tourism AND Canada
Result (For Marketline's profiles of tourism for other countries, simply leave out "Canada" from the search strategy)
- Bibliography of Native North Americans More than 80,000 citations for books, essays, journal articles, and government documents on all aspects of Native North American culture, history, and life. Topics include archaeology, multicultural relations, gaming, governance, legend, and literacy. Coverage is from the sixteenth century to the present.
(market* or tour* or ecotour* eco-tour* or "heritage tour*" or "cultur* tour") AND (Canad* or BC or "British Columbia" or Ontario)
Results (These results further limited by selected "subjects" related to "tourism")
Maher, P. T., MacPherson, S., Doucette, M. B., Tulk, J. E., & Menge, T. (2018). Sustainability, Ethics, and Authenticity in Indigenous Tourism: The Case of Eskasoni Cultural Journeys on Goat Island. Journal of Aboriginal Economic Development, 11(1), 90–106. Retrieved from https://search-ebscohost-com.proxy.lib.sfu.ca/login.aspx?direct=true&db=fph&AN=132648073&site=ehost-live
DE "INDIGENOUS tourism"
CBCA Fulltext Business A broad range of Canadian business periodicals, including trade journals, general business publications, academic journals, and topical journals.
(aborig* OR indigen* OR native* OR "First Nations") AND (market* or tour* or ecotour* eco-tour* or "heritage tour*" or "cultur* tour")
Results (These results were limited to Canada and its provinces)
Canadian Newsstream Full text access to major Canadian daily newspapers (such as the Globe and Mail, National Post, The Gazette (Montreal), and Vancouver Sun) as well as small market newspapers and weeklies published in Canada.
- Environment Complete Comprehensive coverage (over 1,900 journals) in environmental and many related disciplines. Also available is fulltext access to over 200 monographs.
(DE "Green marketing" or tour* or eco-tour* or ecotour* or "heritage tour*" or "cultur* tour*") AND (aborig* or indigen* or native* or "First Nations") AND
(Canad* or Alberta or Ontario or BC or "British Columbia")
For more, try the list of Marketing databases
- Journal of Aboriginal economic development [print]
This journal is shelved on the 6th floor of the W.A.C. Bennett Library at SFU's Burnaby Campus.
- Journal of ecotourism
- Journal of heritage tourism
Search the Library Catalogue to find books, journal articles, government publications, films and more. For any of the sample searches below, try limiting the search results by "Subject" (left-hand side) or by "Resource type." For more tips, consult the Library Catalogue search guide
Search the SFU Library Catalogue
Find a book by title:
Use Browse Search tab (top of screen) to find books by a specific author or title.
Find books by topic:
- tour* AND (pandemic OR Covid-19 OR coronavirus*)
- search limited to selected "subjects"
- (epidemic* OR coronavirus OR covid-19) AND (indigen* OR aborig*) AND (business* OR company OR tour* OR market*)
- "aboriginal tourism" OR "indigenous tourism"
- "aboriginal tourism" OR "indigenous tourism" OR "Cultural tourism" OR "heritage tourism"
- (tour* OR ecotour* OR eco-tour* OR "heritage tourism") AND (aborig* OR "First Nations* OR indigen*) AND (BC OR "British Columbia" OR Canad*)
- Results (above) limited by selected "Subjects"
- Results (above) limited by selected "Subjects"
- (wine* OR ski* OR wilderness OR forest* OR fish*) AND (tour* OR ecotour* OR "heritage tour*") AND (aboriginal OR indigenous OR "First Nations")
- ("settler colonial*" OR decolonial* OR post-colonial* OR imperialism) AND (tour* OR travel* OR ecotour*) AND (aborig* OR "First Nations OR indigen*)
- Can further limit by "Subjects"
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
- Aboriginal tourism engagement strategy : final report
- Aboriginal cultural tourism : tourism sector profile
- Building the Aboriginal tourism product : development of a Northwest Territories Aboriginal tourism sector
- COVID-19 and travel : impacts, responses and outcomes
- Cultural and heritage tourism development : the essential guide for BC tourism businesses interested in developing a cultural or heritage tourism operation
- Decolonizing employment : Aboriginal inclusion in Canada's labour market
- Impact of COVID-19 on Businesses Majority-Owned by Specific Populations, First Quarter of 2021 (Statistics Canada)
- Indigenous Tourism : Cases from Australia and New Zealand
- Indigenous tourism movements
Selected Subject Headings
- Indian business enterprises -- Canada
- Native business enterprises
- Tourism -- British Columbia
- Tourism -- Canada
- Tourism -- Health Aspects
- Tourism -- Marketing
- Business Plans and Profiles Index
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's list of (mostly) freely available Business Plans, from plans for accounting consulting firms to wineries. Business plans can be a great source for gathering cost information. See also these 44 volumes of the Business Plans Handbook -- all online and searchable for SFU researchers.
Government sources can provide useful reports, statistics, and policy documents.
- COVID-19 Health product industry
- Indigenous peoples
- Coronavirus and Indigenous communities - Support for First Nations, Inuit and Métis communities to prepare for, monitor and respond to COVID-19
Statistics Canada Variety of travel and tourism statistics.
Statistics by Subjects:
- Covid-19 AND travel, E.g.
- (aborig* OR indigen*) AND (travel OR industr* OR business*)
- A Profile of Businesses in Indigenous Communities in Canada (18-001-X2019002)
- Impact of COVID-19 on businesses majority-owned by specific populations, first quarter of 2021
- Impact of COVID-19 on businesses majority-owned by visible minorities in Canada, second quarter of 2021 (45-28-0001202100100026)
- Indigenous people and mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic (45-28-0001202000100035)
- Indigenous people in urban areas: Vulnerabilities to the socioeconomic impacts of COVID-19 (45-28-0001202000100023)
- Labour market impacts of COVID-19 on Indigenous people: March to August 2020 (45-28-0001202000100085)
- Indigenous People
A good starting point for a wealth of BC government resources, ranging from an A-Z listing of all BC First Nations (with links to deeper resources on each of them), economic development resources, and community support resources.
- Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and the Arts
- BC Stats - tourism industry statistics
For more, see Government information
Associations and organizations
- Aboriginal Tourism Association of BC
- BC Wilderness Tourism Association
- Canadian Tourism Human Resource Council labour market information
- Indigenous Tourism BC
- Tourism Industry Association of Canada
Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web. Also look at "cited by" beneath an article reference to find who has cited that article. To search for words in the "title" of an article or a report, use: intitle:
- intitle:aboriginal intitle:British Columbia intitle:tourism
- intitle:aboriginal intitle:Canada intitle:tourism
- (aboriginal OR indigenous) (tourism OR ecotourism OR heritage tourism OR cultural tourism) (BC OR British Columbia)
Writing for business and citing help
For writing support services, check: