You are here

Browse and search FAQs

  • Yes.  Current students, faculty and staff from these institutions shall be granted reciprocal external borrowing privileges at each other's libraries.

    Students, faculty, and staff are subject to the borrowing rules at each library.

    You will be asked to verify that you attend your "home" college.

    For example:

    A Douglas College student will produce a student card which will include a sticker showing she is registered in the current semester.

    A BCIT student will need to logon to their system to show their expiry date

    Patrons covered by this reciprocal agreement will be issued with an external borrower card.  The card's expiry date will be either the date on the student's ID or the date displayed on their online registration. Maximum length of time is one (1) year. For a list of participating BC colleges, see the Reciprocal Borrowing page of CPSLD (Council of Post Secondary Library Directors).

  • Generally yes.  Since fair dealing now includes education, students may include limited amounts of copyright protected material in their assignments and presentations.  Students presenting in class or submitting assignments to an instructor are subject to the same rules, limits and exceptions that apply to instructors.  See the Application of Fair Dealing under Policy R30.04 for details about amounts allowable under fair dealing.

  • Yes. Almost all articles requested via interlibrary loan are delivered to the requestor using a secure post-to-web service that complies with Canada’s Copyright Act.

  • Unfortunately no. Libraries usually do not lend each other media items (DVDs, videos, etc.).

    The exception is for instructors booking films for classroom showing. If you're an instructor and you want to show a specific film which SFU doesn't own, please complete an interlibrary loan request using the Media booking form. SFU is a member of the BC Media Resource Sharing Agreement, which allows BC post-secondary libraries to lend each other media items.

    To check if another library in BC has the video you want, access Outlook Online and limit your search to the "ELN Media Catalogue".

  • Honour students have their loan privileges expanded to equal that of graduate students. This upgraded status is awarded to all undergraduate students in the honours program.
  • No. Copyright in a work exists automatically when an original literary, artistic or dramatic work is created, or a performance, sound recording or broadcasting signal is created or published, so the owner is protected under copyright common law. Under Canadian copyright law, the work does not need to be registered and the symbol © is not required to appear on the work. There may not even be any reference to copyright protection. It is possible for the work to be registered under a voluntary government registration system, such as that of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO). Registration with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office does not preclude or enhance protection. However, it is still a good idea to register your copyright and to indicate notice of copyright on your works.

  • Content on the web is protected by copyright in the same way as print and other formats, even if there is no copyright symbol or notice. Linking directly to the web page containing the content you wish to use is almost always permitted, although you need to make sure the content you are linking to is not in itself infringing copyright. In addition, if the web page does not clearly identify the website and content owner, you should also include the full details of the author, copyright owner and source of the materials by the link. This will avoid any suggestion that the website is your own material or that your website is somehow affiliated with the other site. 

    If you have reason to believe that the web site may contain content posted without the permission of the copyright owner, you should avoid linking to it. In addition, you must comply with web site statements indicating that permission is required before material is reproduced or that it may not be reproduced at all. Such statements are typically found in sections titled ‘Terms of Use’ or ‘Legal Notices.’

  • It depends.  If fair dealing, or another exception, or a license that the Library has for electronic resources covers the amount and purpose of the copying, express permission is not required.  If, for example, you want copies printed for a classroom handout, and the amount to be copied is consistent with fair dealing, you will not need permission.  If, however, fair dealing, or another exception, or a Library license does not cover what you want to copy, permission will be needed.  Any material submitted for printing by Document Solutions is checked for copyright clearance.  If you have permission to copy the item from the copyright owner, please provide documentation for the permission when submitting your order.  If you do not have permission, Document Solutions will be unable to fill your reproduction order.

  • If the thesis includes reproductions of copyright protected images, including but not limited to, figures, drawings, paintings, photographs, logos, maps, diagrams, tables or charts, the author of the thesis must in most cases obtain written authorization from the copyright holder in order to reproduce this material for inclusion in the thesis. If fair dealing applies, the material is usable under a Creative Commons or similar license or the material is not protected by copyright, permission may not be necessary, but documentation of the exception may be required. Contact the Copyright Office ( for more information.

    The request for permission from the copyright holder must state that the thesis will be available in full-text format on the internet for reference, study and / or copying and that the electronic version of the thesis will be accessible through Summit, the SFU Digital Research Repository and through the Library’s online catalogue.

    For theses and dissertations (but not projects or extended essays) the letter also needs to state that Library and Archives Canada will be granted a non-exclusive license to reproduce, loan, or distribute single copies of the thesis by any means and in any form or format.

    A template letter prepared by the Copyright Officer is available for you to modify and use when requesting permissions.

  • Under fair dealing, short excerpts of copyright-protected material may be included in course packs without permission. See the Application of Fair Dealing under Policy R30.04 for copying limits and other requirements. In addition, some material covered by licenses that the Library has for electronic resources may be included in course packs. 

    The Custom Course Materials Coordinator will assess the copyright clearance requirements for any materials that you would like to include in a course pack. This includes materials from the Internet, government publications, and unpublished works, not just books and journals. Providing details such as book/journal title, web address, author name, ISBN/ISSN number, page range and total number of pages in a book will help to confirm permission more quickly. If you have any questions about copyright materials you would like to include, contact the Custom Course Materials Coordinator.