On this page
- Permitted SFU faculty and staff may use material from this resource to assemble a print course pack for students for purchase.
- Include appropriate acknowledgement of the citation and source in the course pack.
- Prohibited Material from this resource may NOT be used to assemble a print course pack. Create a link to the item instead.
- Permitted SFU faculty and staff may post an electronic copy of material(s) from this resource on a secure password protected server for use by SFU students, faculty and staff in an SFU course. Examples include: CANVAS or other secure password protected servers that are restricted to current SFU students, faculty and staff.
- Include appropriate acknowledgement of the citation and source.
- Prohibited You may NOT post or upload an electronic copy. Create a link to the item instead.
- Permitted Non-SFU Libraries may request an interlibrary loan. See ILL: Information for Other Libraries for details on ordering. SFU Interlibrary loan staff may use this resource to fulfill lending requests from other libraries.
- Prohibited Material from this resource cannot be used for interlibrary loan.
- Interlibrary loan notes: contains specific information regarding the interlibrary loan terms of the license.
- All current SFU students and program affiliates, researchers, staff, and faculty whether part-time, full-time, permanent, contract, adjunct, or visiting; and retired faculty and staff with Emeritus or equivalent status.
- Some electronic resources permit remote access to part-time and full-time employees of independent contractors working with SFU during the course of their contract duration. Access and use of the Library electronic resources shall be for the sole purpose of fulfilling research needs related to SFU contracted works. Check the license details associated with each electronic resource to ensure access is permitted.
- Unless specifically stated otherwise (usually indicating that access is restricted to current SFU students, faculty, and staff), Authorized Users also include occasional members of the general public who visit one of the libraries in person and obtain guest access to the library computers. See more information about how to access electronic resources while on-campus.
- Unless specifically stated otherwise, Authorized Users does not include alumni. See list of electronic resources available for alumni.
- Permitted SFU Authorized Users, as defined for a given resource, may provide, by paper or electronic means, a single copy of an individual document material(s) from this resource to a colleague who is not an Authorized User for Scholarly and Educational Use, but in no case for Commercial Use.
- Prohibited Material(s) from this resource cannot be shared in any way with non-SFU Authorized Users (as defined for a given resource).
Accessible formatting allowed?
- Yes SFU faculty and staff may alter or modify portions of the material(s) from this resource as necessary to provide an equivalent level of access to Authorized Users with disabilities if the material(s) from this resource are not already provided in Accessible Formats.
- No Material(s) from this resource cannot be altered or modified in any way.
Text and Data Mining (TDM)
TDM is a machine process that can be applied to various data sources (e.g., newspaper articles, emails, online discussion posts, etc.) to extract data for different research purposes, including text categorization, statistical pattern recognition, concept or sentiment extraction, and more.
As a general principle, and unless otherwise stated, applying web crawlers and performing systematic downloads of Licensed Materials is strictly prohibited. TDM is only allowed for electronic resources with license agreements that explicitly permit this practice.
- Permitted SFU Authorized Users, as defined for a given resource and as instructed in the complementary TDM notes, may text and data mine the whole or parts of electronic resource for the purpose of research for a non-commercial purpose and other Scholarly and Educational Use solely.
- Prohibited Material(s) from this resource cannot be text and data mined. Instruction in the complementary TDM notes section may offer further details.
Non-theatrical public performance for SFU Authorized Users.
- Licensed for non-theatrical public performance on campus at SFU for Authorized Users: May be viewed in a classroom or group setting on the SFU campus for educational purposes.
Need additional information?
- Copyright at SFU
- Electronic Collection information for Librarians and Faculty
- Text and Data Mining (TDM) SFU Library electronic resources
- Making required readings available.
- Contact the Electronic Resources Librarian for Simon Fraser University Library at email@example.com.