Former SLC English as Additional Language Peer Bessie W. returns with tips and tricks for writing a professional email. Just in time to help you reach out to your professor or TA to get clarification on those first assignments...
In Common: The SLC blog
In this blog post, SLC EAL Coordinator Dr. Timothy Mossman shares some writing that he did during his doctoral studies in a class (EDUC 925 - Critical Literacies in Multilingual Contexts) led by Dr. Dolores van der Wey.
The SFU Library recently issued the following statement about anti-Black racism and white supremacy: https://www.lib.sfu.ca/help/academic-integrity/solidarity-black-lives-matter
We in the Student Learning Commons recognize that race-based violence is not new, nor simply an issue for us to pay attention to during "flashpoint moments" like the one we are currently experiencing. With this post, Tim shares part of his journey learning to see his own privilege.
We share this post as encouragement for others as we take on this troubling, difficult, and necessary work.
Trigger warning: this post includes references to residential school trauma and to homelessness.
SLC Graduate Writing Facilitator Kate E. invites folks to join her for the Write OUT program -- a joint initiative of the Student Learning Commons and Out On Campus.
Summer WriteOUT! sessions will include tips and tricks for:
- Time Management (June 8th)
- Writing Logically and Cohesively (June 15th)
- Offering and Receiving Feedback (June 22nd)
- Writing for Different Audiences (June 29th)
- Making your Writing Interesting (July 6th)
- Writing in English as an Additional Language (July 13th)
- Respecting Writing in Different Disciplines (July 20th)
- Descriptive and Creative Writing (July 26th)
All sessions are 11-1pm on Mondays.