On this page
Book and reports
British Columbia building code, 2012 [print]
"Applies to the construction of buildings; including extensions, substantial alterations, buildings undergoing a change of occupancy, green building specifications, and upgrading of buildings to remove an unacceptable hazard."
Note: not at SFU, but available at UBC, Metro Vancouver, and Vancouver Public Library is: Vancouver Building By-law 2014 (and 2007)
"A modified version of the BC Building Code that includes design and construction requirements unique to the City of Vancouver."
Canadian law of planning and zoning [print]
"Remains the only Canadian text comprehensively treating all aspects of the municipal regulation of land use, covering cases and legislation in every Canadian province."
Canadian municipal and planning law [print]
"Includes bibliographical references and index."
Public interest, private property: law and planning policy in Canada [print]
"Case studies focus on spheres in which public values and private property rights collide--expropriation law, natural resources regulation, green development, and water provision--laying the groundwork for more active debates on the issues currently shaping our cities."
Assessment of the Municipal Acts of the Provinces And Territories Federation of Canadian Municipalities
Westlaw Next Canada
Current Canadian legal information, including cases, legislation, and law reports
Finding legislation (i.e. municipal acts):
- On the homepage, click on Statutes and Regulations
- Choose a province
- Choose Statutes
- Type Municipal Act into the search or scroll to M
** Some cities, such as Calgary, Montreal and St. John's, have their own municipal statutes.
Governing bodies enact statutes (statutes enacted by municipalities are called ordinances). Regulations put the statutes to work.
Finding summaries of cases, by legal issue:
- On the homepage, click on Canadian Abridgement Digests
- Choose an area to focus on (Municipal or Construction or Transportation, for example)
Finding legal articles and newsletters:
Stay up to date with current issues surrounding planning legislation.
- On the homepage, click on Articles and Newsletters
- Click on Municipal and Planning Law Reports
Finding cases and decisions:
Stay up to date with current legal decisions:
- On the homepage, click on Cases and Decisions
- Click on Municipal and then jurisdiction (e.g. British Columbia)
Current planning and bylaws
- Anmore (Village)
- Bowen Island
- Langley (City)
- Langley (Township)
- Lions Bay (Village)
- Maple Ridge (District)
- New Westminster
- North Vancouver City
- North Vancouver District
- Pitt Meadows (District)
- Port Coquitlam
- Port Moody
- West Vancouver (District)
- Tsawwassen First Nation Laws
Vancouver zoning and planning
- Vancouver zoning bylaw 3575
- Elecoral Area A Building and Zoning
- Map of zoning districts
- Sustainable zoning
- Current planning projects
- Zoning district descriptions
- Regional Planning Metro Vancouver
West End: planning policies and design guidelines [print]
"For reference only: does not form part of the zoning by-law or official development plan."
- Burnaby zoning bylaw 4742
- Metro Vancouver bylaws (extensive list)
- Metro Vancouver electoral area zoning bylaw 1144, 2011
- Metro Vancouver zoning and bylaws
- New Westminster 6680
- North Vancouver zoning bylaw 6700
- Richmond zoning bylaw 8500
- Surrey zoning bylaw 12000
- West Vancouver zoning bylaw 4662
from City of Vancouver site unless otherwise indicated:
- Chinatown Historic Area Planning Committee
- Gastown Historic Area Planning Committee
- Historical Regional Planning Reports & Maps Metro Vancouver
- Vancouver City Planning Commission
- Vancouver Heritage Commission
- Greater Vancouver Regional District Planning Department fonds (1947-1982) UBC Archives
- Harry Lash Library Metro Vancouver, including their clippings file
- Vancouver Archives including digital objects - sample search: "Vancouver city planning commission"
- British Columbia History Vancouver Public library
Historical data, Vancouver Town Planning Commission [print]
Dates back to plans existing prior to 1963.
Out of print and contract publications [print]
Dates back to contracts existing prior to 1963.
The Vancouver City Planning Commission: some historical notes [print]
Notes made to plans prior to 1975.
Journal article databases
America: History and Life
For US and Canadian cities. Sample terms: Urban planning, Urban planners
Sample terms: Urban planning; Grid plan (Urban planning); History of urban planning; Public spaces