Standards are official publications from organizations which set criteria for developments in technical fields. To view lists of standards published by standards organizations, see Standards Organizations' catalogues.
Collections of standards in the Greater Vancouver area
Simon Fraser University (SFU)
Via Techstreet, a vendor who provides individual standards on demand, SFU Library students, faculty, and staff have electronic access to selected standards from the following bodies:
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization
- CSA (Canadian Standards Association)
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission)
- DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung)
Note: Techstreet standards are in .pdf format and are encrypted. To view standards via Techstreet you must install the FileOpen plugin and open the standard with Adobe Reader. Mac users need to use a browser other than Safari.
SFU researchers also have access to:
- Canadian electrical code, part 1 : safety standard for electrical installations [print]
- Electrical code simplified. Book 1, Residential [print]
- Electrical code simplified. Book 2 : commercial & industrial [print]
- Full text of current IEEE standards from the IEEE/IEE Electronic Library
- Canadian General Standards Board (SFU depository collection)
In addition, the SFU Library may hold individual standards from various standards bodies. Search the SFU Library catalogue to locate individual standards
British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
The BCIT Library subscribes to standards from several publishers, including CSA, ASTM, and select ASHRAE. Individual titles of standards are listed in the BCIT Library catalogue (use the Advanced Keyword Search and indicate STANDARDS under Material Type).
University of British Columbia (UBC)
See UBC Library: Standards for details about the standards collection at UBC.
Vancouver Public Library (VPL)
Vancouver Public Library (VPL) collects standards and has one of the largest collections of technical standards in the province. Phone VPL's general phone number 604-331-3603 for assistance in locating a standard and to verify that a particular standard is in the collection. Note that many standards are not listed in VPL's catalogue.
Copyright legislation often prohibits libraries from sharing their standards. Please contact Holly Hendrigan (email@example.com) if you are having difficulty obtaining a standard.