Standards are official publications from organizations which set criteria for developments in technical fields. Available standards can be browsed via the web sites of Standards Organizations.
Collections of standards in the Greater Vancouver area
Simon Fraser University (SFU)
The SFU Libraries hold very few published standards. The closest library with a large collection of standards is BCIT.
Accessing to the following is freely available to SFU Researchers:
- Full text of current IEEE standards is available from the IEEE/IEE Electronic Library
- The Canadian General Standards Board Standards online
British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
The BCIT Library holds a collection of standards from several publishers, including ANSI, CSA, CGA, ULC, CGSB and a few from ISO, mostly the new 9000 or 14000 series. Individual titles of standards from these publishers are listed in the BCIT Library catalogue, and if you use the Advanced Keyword Search and indicate that you want STANDARDS under Material Type it will allow you to search only the standards at BCIT. BCIT Library receives the complete ASTM set of standards every second year.
University of British Columbia (UBC)
UBC Library maintains a webpage with details about its Standards Collection.
The Standards Collection includes publications of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), the American Society for Testing & Materials (ASTM), a small collection of standards from the International Standards Organization (ISO), the Standard Specifications for Transportation Materials and Methods of Sampling and Testing (AASHTO), the National Fire Codes (NFPA), the Standard Specifications for Highway Construction, the British Columbia Building Code, and the National Building Code of Canada 2005. U.B.C. does not collect British standards.
Except for ASTM standards, standards are listed in the U.B.C. catalogue and are most easily found using a keyword search. ASTM standards are found both in the print-version of Annual Book of ASTM Standards (until 2006), and in full-text online. Please visit UBC for a guest log in to access.
Vancouver Public Library (VPL)
Vancouver Public Library (VPL) collects standards and has one of the largest collections of technical standards in the province, including:
- Canadian Standards Association (not complete, but a core CSA collection is being maintained from 2013--onwards)
- Canadian General Standards Board (not complete)
- Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada (not complete; as of approximately 2013, no longer purchasing new standards)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (until 2009, VPL purchased complete collections in alternating years with BCIT)
- National Fire Protection Association (until 2009, VPL purchased complete collections in alternate years with BCIT)
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization) (not complete)
- Select standards from other groups
Users may phone VPL's general phone number 604-331-3603 for assistance in locating a standard and to verify that a particular standard is in the collection. Note that many standards are not listed in the catalogue. VPL allows 7-day loans for standards.