Use books to develop a solid understanding of your topic, and journal articles to support your thesis, and to survey the latest research in your area. Get started on your research with this quick step-by-step guide
Sample Subject headings:
Cities and Towns - British Columbia
Vancouver (B.C.) -- History
See also: New books in Urban Studies
Search Databases to find articles on your topic. Selected important databases for Urban Studies are listed below. For additional databases that may be relevant to research in this area, please see this list of databases for Urban Studies
- Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris Access to Canadian e-books, health and public policy documents. Use the Advanced search to select CEL (ebrary) collection = Canadian Public Policy
- CBCA Complete news, current events business and academic research produced in Canada
- Canadian Newsstream including local Canadian newspapers
- ECONLIT economics journal articles and working papers
- Environment Complete topics in sustainability
- GEOBASE human and physical geography
- Sociological Abstracts sociology research
- TRID Online transportation research
- Web of Science indexes major urban studies journals
Key journals for Urban Studies
(peer-reviewed unless otherwise indicated)
- Berkeley Planning Journal "innovative and research-oriented articles written by emerging scholars"
- Built environment "each issue focusing on a single subject of contemporary interest and relevance to practitioners, academics and students"
- Cityscape : a journal of policy development and research "original research on housing and community development issues to scholars, government officials, and practitioners" not pr
- Environment & planning B: Planning & design "method application and spatial problems in built environments, with specialisation in new approaches to generating and evaluating plans and policies"
- Environment and urbanization "research findings, ideas and information in the fields of human settlements and environment"
- European urban and regional studies "urban and regional development in Europe"
- International journal of urban and regional research "urban and regional research...linking theoretical development and empirical research"
- Journal of planning education and research "planning theory, planning practice, and planning pedagogy"
- Journal of urban health "evidence-based action to strengthen programs, policies, and governance of cities worldwide to improve health"
- Journal of urban technology "political, economic, environmental, social, aesthetic, and ethical effects of urban technologies"
- Local government studies "study of local politics, policy, public administration and management and governance"
- Public Policy and Administration "public policy, public administration, government, public management, administrative theory, administrative history, and administrative politics" not pr
- Urban affairs review "politics, governance, and public policy specifically as they relate to cities and/or their regions"
- Urban ecosystems "the ecology of urban environments, and policy implications"
- Urban geography "problem-oriented current research by geographers and other social scientists on urban policy"
- Urban history "research articles covering social, economic, political and cultural aspects of the history of towns and Cities" not pr
- Urban policy and research "urban studies and urban policy for those with an interest in Australia, New Zealand and the Asia Pacific region"
- Urban review "issues basic to the improvement of urban schooling and education"
- Urban studies " the cutting edge of academic research about cities"
See also Online journals for Urban Studies