On this page
For an overview of a topic or to identify key authors, books, journal articles, debates or theories, start with the encyclopedias listed below.
- International encyclopedia of the social & behavioral sciences
- Sage Knowledge
- World sports: a reference handbook
- How to Find Journal Articles
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- What is plagiarism?
- Developing a topic
- Student Learning Commons (writing help)
Search tips & techniques
- Use "or" to combine same concept; Use "and" to combine different concepts.
- When you have only one line search box, then put braces around your synonyms, .eg.:
- (____________ or __________) AND (__________ or ________)
- Use an asterisk (*) the truncation symbol, for variation on endings of words, e.g.:
- child* will find: child, children, childless, childlike.
- Use "quotation marks" to search for an exact phrase
- Alternate spellings: use American/Canadian spelling (honour or honor).
- Use abbreviations and full words (TV or television)
- Geographic concepts: From specific to broader ( Vancouver or BC or British Columbia or Canada or North America)
- Alternate terms: Subject headings/Descriptors/Thesauri words. Thesauri words increase relevancy.
- Library guide: Search tips for Google and Google Scholar
Search Library Catalogue
Books by an author
Use Browse search, select 'author', and then enter: last name, first name
Books "about" an author
Use Browse search, select 'subject', and then enter the name of the person
Search for topics
Use Advanced Search with these suggested keywords.
- socialization and sport*
- sociology and sport*
- sport* and (race or racial or discrim* or colonial*)
- sport* and (gender or sexual*)
- women athletes
- (drugs or doping) and sport*
- conflict theory and sport*
TIP: Use "subject headings" found within the library record of relevant titles to find other useful book titles.
Some useful subject headings for this course:
- Discrimination in sports -- United States
- Doping In Sports
- Feminism and sports
- Sex discrimination in sports
- Racism in sports -- United States
- Soccer -- Social aspects
- Sports -- Social aspects -- Cross-cultural studies
- Sports -- Social Aspects -- Great Britain
- Sports -- Social aspects -- Canada
- Sports -- Social Aspects -- United States
- Sports -- Sociological aspects
- Sports -- Canada -- Sociological aspects
- Sports For The Handicapped -- See Sports for people with disabilities
- Sports For Women -- 15 Related Subjects
- Sports For Women -- Canada
- Sports team mascots -- Social aspects -- United States
- Women Athletes -- 21 Related Subjects
- Women athletes
To find scholarly journal articles, search the databases for your discipline.
- Sociological Abstracts -- to find scholarly articles.
- Social Sciences Full Text -- to find scholarly articles.
Sport Discus -- Worldwide literature on exercise and sports.
CBCA Reference and Current Events -- Covers Canadian topics including business, politics, literature, history, current events and news