On this page
Start Your Research Here - This page gives you an overview of the research process, or in other words how to find materials for your essay.
Definitions and theories
Use encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks to obtain definitions and overviews of a topic and also to identify key authors.
- A-Z of gender and sexuality : from Ace to Ze
- Ashgate research companion to queer theory
- Encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender & queer culture
- Global encyclopedia of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) history
- Greenwood encyclopedia of LGBT issues worldwide
- Routledge handbook of gender in South Asia
- Routledge Handbook of Queer African studies
- Routledge Handbook of Queer Development Studies
- Routledge handbook of sexuality, health and rights
- Routledge history of queer America
- Routledge international encyclopedia of queer culture
- Sage encyclopedia of LGBTQ studies
- Transgender : a Reference Handbook
Find journal articles
- Women's Studies International - key database for the discipline
- Academic Search Premier - Multidisciplinary index to academic & popular journals. Limit to "scholarly" or "peer-reviewed" articles
- Sociological Abstracts - for social issues
- Social Sciences Full Text Multi-disciplinary database
- Geobase - database for geography, which includes articles on migration
- Medline with Full Text (EBSCO) - Provides articles from worldwide biomedical and health literature, covering research, clinical practice, administration, policy issues, and health care services. Available to current students, faculty and staff members (and alumni and external SFU cardholders from within the library).
- Global Health - Provides information on international health, biomedical life sciences, non-communicable diseases, public health nutrition, food safety and hygiene, and much more from around the world.
The Library Catalogue provides access to books, journal articles, videos, government documents and much more. To limit the search results to "books", use the filter (left-hand column in search results) to "resource type" of "books."
Note: In the searches below, you can limit search results to "Online Resources only" and "Resource type" of "Books". You can further limit by using "Subject" (left-hand column)
- (trans OR transgender* OR queer*) AND feminis* AND (theor* or perspective* or framework)
- queer AND (theor* OR framework OR debate*)
- transgender AND (theor* OR framework OR debate*)
- (trans OR transgender* OR queer*) AND [name of country or region]
- (queer* OR transgender* OR intersex*) AND Asia
- (trans OR transgender* OR queer*) AND [your topic words]
Gender outlaw : on men, women, and the rest of us / Kate Bornstein
Out : LGBTQ Poland [print]
- Transfeminist Perspectives in and beyond Transgender and Gender Studies
- Transgender China
- Transgender studies reader / edited by Susan Stryker and Stephen Whittle
- Trans power : own your gender
- What Gender Is, What Gender Does
- When states come out : Europe's sexual minorities and the politics of visibility
Browse by subject
Browse by subject (change the default "Browse by title" to ""Browse by subject" using the pull-down menu)
- Feminist theory
- Feminist theory -- Cross cultural studies
- Feminist Theory -- Developing Countries
- Lesbian feminist Theory
- Gay Rights -- Canada
- Gay Rights -- United States
- Gay Liberation Movement -- Canada
- Gays -- [country or region]
- Gender identity
- Gender identity -- [country or region]
- Gender transition
- Health -- Sex differences
- Queer theory
- Sex and law
- Sex and law -- Canada
- Sex change
- Sexual minorities
- Sexual minorities -- [country or region]
- Sexual minorities -- Health
- Sexual minorities -- Mental health
- Transgender Persons
- Transsexuals -- Civil rights
- Transsexuals -- Legal status, laws, etc.
- Films on Demand - Search for "trans" OR "transgender" within the database.
Terminology for LGBTIQA
- Homosaurus vocabulary (terminology) - although these terms are not used in the "Subject" list (Browse by Subject) in the SFU Catalogue Search, they may assist you when searching for information on LGBTQIA persons.
Feminist theory website
- Feminist Theory Website - "provides research materials" - fields within feminism; national and ethnic feminisms; Individual feminists
Presentation skills and writing help
See the Student Learning Commons for expert and friendly help with academic writing, learning, and study strategies.
- Resources on developing your participation skills
- Resources to help you improve your presentation skills
- Library Research Tutorials. Animated tutorials on search techniques for finding books and journal articles.
- Annotated bibliographies
- Evaluating sources
- How to find journal articles
- Library Catalogue search guide
- What is a scholarly (or peer-reviewed) journal?
- What is plagiarism? Guide to common forms of plagiarism and how to avoid them