On this page
To find a specific book, use "Browse by "title"
To search for a topic using keywords
- femini* AND research method* (limit to "Books", using the pull down menu)
- "women of color" AND femini*"
- "transnational femini*"
- (gay OR transgender OR lesbian* OR queer OR LGBT*) AND rights
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Select, "Source Types" as "Books" or in the results list, limit the results by selecting, "Books" limiter (left-hand column)
Browse by "subject"
- Feminism -- Africa (try names of other countries or regions for their feminist movements)
- Feminism -- History
- Feminism -- Research
- Feminist theory
- Feminists -- Biography
- Mixed methods -- Research
- Women's rights
Journal articles databases
Start with Women's Studies International
For Canadian topics, also try:
- CBCA Complete - covers scholarly journals, magazines, and newspapers
- Canadian Newsstream - covers newspapers including Vancouver Sun, Globe & Mail
- Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris - full text of public policy documents
List of databases for GSWS: Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies databases
To find out who is citing your key sources, try "citation" searches using:
- Use intitle: to force the search engine to find those words in the titles of results
- intitle:airport intitle:security
- Use site: to specify results from a particular web site or top-level domain
- Can search for filetype:pdf
Evaluate sources and avoid plagiarism
Once you've found a web resource related to your topic, evaluating its reliability is the critically important final step. Make sure to ask the basic questions: Who? What? Where? When? and Why?
Understanding and avoiding plagiarism [interactive tutorial]
Interested in what new books the Library is getting for Women’s Studies?
- Through the mill : girls and women in the Quebec cotton textile industry, 1881-1951
- Repeal the 8th
- Women in world religions : faith and culture across history
- Women Now : The Legacy of Female Suffrage
- Visionary women : how Rachel Carson, Jane Jacobs, Jane Goodall, and Alice Waters changed our world
- The care and feeding of ravenously hungry girls
- Eloquent rage : a black feminist discovers her superpower
- Brotopia : breaking up the boys' club of Silicon Valley
- Germaine: The Life of Germaine Greer.