On this page
To find a specific book, use "Browse by "title"
To search for a topic using keywords
- femini* AND research method* (limit to "Books", using the pull down menu)
- "women of color" AND femini*"
- "transnational femini*"
- (gay OR transgender OR lesbian* OR queer OR LGBT*) AND rights
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Select, "Source Types" as "Books" or in the results list, limit the results by selecting, "Books" limiter (left-hand column)
Browse by "subject"
- Feminism -- Africa (try names of other countries or regions for their feminist movements)
- Feminism -- History
- Feminism -- Research
- Feminist theory
- Feminists -- Biography
- Mixed methods -- Research
- Women's rights
Journal articles and literature reviews
- Women's Studies International - for any issues related to gender, sexuality and women's studies
- Sociological Abstracts - Abstracts of journal articles, books, chapters, association papers, dissertations, and book, film, and software reviews related to theoretical and applied social sciences.
- Social Sciences Full Text - Broad coverage of social science journals
- Academic Search Premier -- Covers many GSWS journals. "Limit" search results to "academic" or "scholarly" sources
While there is no single "literature review" journal for this discipline, the two databases (below) will provide literature review types of articles.
- Annual Reviews - literature review types of articles from anthropology, criminology, economics, environment, genomics and human genetics. law, political science, public health, sociology and more.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online - provides "literature reviews" for topics in anthropology, African studies, geography, international relations, Islamic studies, Latin American studies, political science, sociology and more.
For Canadian topics:
- CBCA Complete - covers scholarly journals, magazines, and newspapers. Limit results to "scholalry" or "academic"
- Canadian Newsstream - covers Canadian newspapers, including Vancouver Sun, Globe & Mail
- Canada Commons (formerly, Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris) - for public policy documents from Canadian institutes, think-tanks and research groups.
For a more complete list of databases, try: Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies databases
To find out who is citing your key sources, try "citation" searches using:
- Use intitle: to force the search engine to find those words in the titles of results
- intitle:airport intitle:security
- Use site: to specify results from a particular web site or top-level domain
- Can search for filetype:pdf
Evaluate sources and avoid plagiarism
Once you've found a web resource related to your topic, evaluating its reliability is the critically important final step. Make sure to ask the basic questions: Who? What? Where? When? and Why?
Understanding and avoiding plagiarism [interactive tutorial]
Interested in what new books the Library is getting for Women’s Studies?