On this page
Start Your Research Here - This page gives you an overview of the research process, or in other words how to find materials for your essay.
- Battleground: women, gender, and sexuality
- Bloomsbury handbook of 21st-century feminist theory
- Encyclopedia of race and racism
- The Oxford encyclopedia of Islam and women
- Palgrave Handbook of Intersectionality in Public Policy
- Routledge International Handbook of Race, Class and Gender
- Sage eReference
Use these indexes to locate journal articles on your topic. Limit your search to "academic or "scholarly / peer reviewed" journals.
- Women's Studies International
- Academic Search Premier - Multidisciplinary index to academic & popular journals.
- Social Sciences Full Text
Canada's reference and current events - scholarly journal articles, trade publications, dissertations, books, newspapers and magazines.
- Canadian Electronic Library from desLibris Access to Canadian e-books, health and public policy documents. Use the Advanced search to select CEL (ebrary) collection = Canadian Public Policy
The Library Catalogue provides access to books, journal articles, videos, government documents and much more. To limit the search results to "books", use the filter (left-hand column in search results) to "resource type" of "books."
Note: In the searches below, search results have been limited to "Online Resources only" and "Resource type" of "Books". You can further limit by using "Subject" (left-hand column)
- race AND class AND gender AND canad*
- women AND (race OR racis*) AND canad*
- ("immigrant women" OR "women of color" OR "visible minority women") AND (employ* OR econ* OR soci*) AND canad*
- women AND domestic AND (labor OR labour) AND canad*
- (women OR gender) AND intersection* AND (race OR class) AND canad*
- women AND (crip* OR disabilit*) AND canad*
- (government* OR policy OR policies) AND [your topic] AND canad*
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Use pulldown menu and select, "Source Types" as "Books"
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
- Born Out of Place Migrant Mothers and the Politics of International Labor
- Canada's colour coded labour market : the gap for racialized workers
- Constructing danger : the mis/respresentation of crime in the news
- Exiting poverty : does sex matter?
- Employment equity in Canada : the legacy of the Abella report
- Gender norms and intersectionality : connecting race, class & gender
- Living the edges : a disabled women's reader
- Race & well-being : the lives, hopes, and activism of African Canadians
- Speaking truth to power : a reader on Canadian women's inequality
- Theories of Race and Ethnicity: Contemporary Debates and Perspectives
- The transgender studies reader / edited by Susan Stryker and Stephen Whittle
- Underserved communities and digital discourse : getting voices heard
Find books using subject headings
Browse Search the Library Catalogue with the following subject headings.
- Journalism -- Canada -- Objectivity
- Mass media and minorities
- Mass media and ethnic relations
- Mass media and race relations
- Mass media and women
Poverty / Equality
- Equality -- Canada
- Homeless Women -- Canada
- Marginality, Social -- Canada
- Poor - Canada
- Poor Women -- Canada
- Poverty -- Canada
- Social classes -- Canada
- Black Canadian Women
- Blacks -- Canada
- Canada -- Race relations
- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy -- Canada
- Immigrant women
- Indigenous Women - Canada
- Native Women - Canada
- Minority women -- Canada
- Race Discrimination -- Canada
- Sex Discrimination Against Women
- Racism -- Canada
- Women - Immigrants - Canada
- Women - Black - Canada
- Discrimination in employment -- Canada
- Household Employees
- Women -- Household Employees
- Women -- Alien Labor Legal Status Laws Etc -- Canada
- Women - Employment - Canada
- Equality -- Government policy -- Canada
- Feminism -- Canada
- Sex discrimination -- Canada
- Sex discrimination against women -- Canada
- Women -- Government policy -- Canada
- Women -- Social conditions
- Women -- Violence against -- Canada
- Women's Rights - Canada
- Women Suffrage -- Canada
- The Canadian Multiculturalism Act is for the preservation and enhancement of multiculturalism in Canada.
- Canada’s latest Citizenship Act and its Regulations.
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), which came into effect on June 28, 2002.
- Statistics Canada -- main page. Also try their Search Engine.
Associations and Organizations
- BC Federation of Labour
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives - use the search box to find "immigrant"
- Canadian Labour Congress
- Library Research Skills [interactive tutorial]
- Popular versus scholarly sources [video]
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- What is plagiarism? [guide]
- Evaluating sources
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- Referencing and citation management software For help, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- More Tutorials
- Resources on developing your participation skills
- Resources to help you improve your presentation skills
See the Student Learning Commons for expert and friendly help with academic writing, learning, and study strategies.