On this page
- What is a scholarly, peer-reviewed journal?
- Finding and evaluating resources
- Critical thinking skills at university
- Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism
- Library Research Tutorials
- For help with writing essays: Student Learning Commons & Writing for university
Get an overview of a topic. Use encyclopedias, handbooks or textbook for overviews, definitions, and to identify key authors and ideas.
- Communication, cultural and media studies: the key concepts
- Encyclopedia of children, adolescents, and the media
- Encyclopedia of contemporary American culture
Search Tips & Techniques
- Use "or" to combine same concept; Use "and" to combine different concepts.
- Use asterisk (*) the truncation symbol, for variation on endings of words (child* will find: child, children, childless, childlike). "$, ?, *, !" are common truncation symbols. Most use asterisk.
- Use "quotation marks" to search for an exact phrase
- When using one line search box, also put braces "()" around your synonyms. E.g. (elderly or seniors or aged)
- Alternate spellings: use American/Canadian spelling (honour or honor). Use abbreviations and full words (TV or television)
- Geographic concepts: Specific to broader ( Vancouver or BC or British Columbia or Canada or North America)
- Alternate terms: Subject headings/Descriptors/Thesauri words (youth or adolescents or teenagers or young adults);
- Thesauri words increase relevancy.
- If there is only "one-line search box", try using combining different concepts in the following way:
- (____________ or __________) AND (__________ or ________)
Find Books in the Library
Search the SFU Library Catalogue.
For help, see the Library guide How to use the Library Catalogue
- (women or gender) and (mass media or popular culture or tv or television)
- (women or gender) and represent* and (mass media or popular culture or tv or television)
- sex and (mass media or popular culture or tv or television)
- pornograph* and (issue* or debate* or argument* or discuss*).
Look at the titles in the "results list" and for those books that look relevant, click on their subject headings.
For particular shows, search for the name of the show in the "Subject" search. E.g. Buffy, the vampire slayer (Television program)
- African Americans In Motion Pictures
- African Americans In Popular Culture
- Asians In Motion Pictures
- Blacks In Motion Pictures
- Comic books, strips, etc. -- History and criticism.
- Feminism And Mass Media
- Feminism And Motion Pictures
- Feminist Theater
- Gays in popular culture
- Gender Identity In Mass Media
- Gender Identity In Motion Pictures
- Hispanic American Women In Mass Media
- Homosexuality in motion pictures
- Masculinity in popular culture
- Mass media and minorities
- Mass media and minorities -- United States.
- Mass Media And Sex
- Mass Media and Women
- Pornography Social Aspects
- Sex Differences In Mass Media
- Sex In Advertising
- Sex in mass media
- Sex In Motion Pictures
- Sex Role On Television
- Sex Role in Literature
- Sexism In Mass Media
- Women cinematographers
- Women In Advertising
- Women in mass media.
- Women in popular culture
- Women in Television Broadcasting
- Women in the motion pictures
- Women motion picture producers and directors
- Women in the performing arts
- Women in popular culture
- Women in the performing arts -- Cross-cultural studies
- Women in the theatre
- Women on Television
For scholarly articles, limit by "academic" or "peer reviewed".
- Women's Studies International - key database for feminist perspectives
- Communication and Mass Media Complete - Important database for "popular culture" and "media" topics.
- Academic Search Premier - Multidisciplinary index to academic and popular journals. Indexes many WS journals.
- CBCA Fulltext Reference - Covers Canadian topics including business, politics, literature, history and news event
Dance, film, literature, music and performing arts databases
- Film & Television Literature Index - International index to scholarly and popular journal literature on film, television and video
- International Index to the Performing Arts - Multidisciplinary index to journals for the Performing Arts (drama, theater, dance, film, television)
- Humanities & Social Sciences Index - Basic periodicals on all social sciences and humanities topics
- MLA International Bibliography - Citations to scholarly (both theoretical and descriptive) literature in linguistics, modern languages, literature, folklore, and film
- Oxford Music Online - Comprehensive scholarly resource on all aspects of music. Includes access to Grove Music Online; Oxford dictionary of music and Oxford companion to music
- Popular Culture in Britain and America, 1950-1975 - Photographs, manuscripts, and other ephemera covering popular culture
- Canadian Newsstand - Fulltext of major Canadian newspapers and Canwest's small-market BC papers.
- Historical Newspapers - Includes the Washington Post (1877 - 1990); Wall Street Journal (1889 - 1989); New York Times (1851 - 36-month embargo)
- Times digital archive - Full-text and full-image articles from the Times of London for the years 1785-1985.
- Media Awareness Network by MediaWatch
- Beauty and Hygiene advertisements from the 1920s through 1950s section of the Ad*Access Project
- Bitch Media - "feminist response to pop culture"
- Gender Ads Project - "This site is an educational resource that focuses on the ways in which gender (and related issues like sexuality, social class, race, etc.) and advertising intersect. The primary focus of this Web site is print advertising."
- Examples from Gender Ads Project: