Renewable energy industry information via SFU LibraryPublished by Mark Bodnar
I was just scanning the news (that's what a business researcher does to relax) and spotted the following story at the BBC site: Britain in two-week coal-free record.
As the article states, "Britain has not used coal to generate electricity for two weeks - the longest period since the 1880s." The move toward alternative energy sources is gathering momentum in the UK and having measureable impacts.
This is stunning news, especially if you've read anything about The Great Smog of London (1952), or about the effects overall of the extreme air pollution created as a side effect (an "externality") of the industrial revolution, not to mention the clear (and even more important) connection to climate change.
Photo credit: Hardie. "Pollution in Widnes, England in the late 19th Century" [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons"
And, since I am an opportunist at heart, this is also a chance for me to highlight the many alternative energy industry overviews available in our databases. Read up... learn lots... take action... because the times they are a changin'!
Frost & Sullivan (emerging technology industry/market reports)
- Global Renewable Energy Outlook, 2018
- Global Power Industry Outlook, 2018
- Global Solar Power Market, 2018 Update
- Global Wind Power Market, Forecast to 2025
- Renewable Power in Canada
- Wind Turbine Manufacturing in Canada
- Solar Panel Manufacturing in the United States
- Wind Power in the United States
- Solar Power in the United States
- Biomass Power in the United States
- Geothermal Electricity Plant Operation in the United States
- Wind Power in China
- Solar Power Generation in China
- Solar Panel Manufacturing in China
- Alternative Energy in China
- Energy-Efficiency Consultants in China
- Renewable Energies - Global 2018
- Global Renewable Energy Industry - Statistics & Facts
- Global Wind Power Market - Statistics & Facts
- Solar photovoltaic industry -- Dossier
- Pre-run searches for external reports on renewable energy and alternative energy
First Research industry reports via Mergent Intellect
- Solar Power Generation
- Wind Power Generation
- Environmental Consulting Services
- Renewable, Alternative & Hydrogen Energy Industry Almanac 2018
- Green Technology Industry Almanac 2019
MarketLine Industry Profiles via Business Source Complete
Gale's industry encyclopedias (various titles)
- Solar Electric Power Generation (Encyclopedia of American Industries, 2018)
- Wind Electric Power Generation (Encyclopedia of American Industries, 2018)
- Geothermal Electric Power Generation (Encyclopedia of American Industries, 2018)
- Alternative Energy (Encyclopedia of Emerging Industries, 2017)
- Ocean Energy (Encyclopedia of Emerging Industries, 2017)
- Renewables 2018: Analysis and Forecasts to 2023
- World Energy Investment 2019
- World Energy Outlook 2018
- CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion 2018
As always, this is just a taste of what your library has to offer. In addition, this is the sort of topic that many governments and industry associations also report on -- and their data and reports are often freely available. Start with my Industry Surveys guide to find further sources.
Economics & Business Librarian