On this page
This guide lists selected print and online information sources available to SFU researchers. If you do not find what you need, contact Mark Bodnar, email@example.com, the Liaison Librarian for Business.
The biotechnology field is full of new terms and concepts that you really have to understand to properly study the industry. The first two sections of this guide (overview and current awareness) contain resources to help you understand the jargon and to provide the most current view of the industry.
See the sub-section on Bio-economy for a high-level view
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology Industry Association
Principles of Biomedical Sciences and Industry: Translating Ideas into Treatments
Ebook (2022): "covers the entire product lifecycle, from translating a scientific idea into a prototype to product development, launch, and management."
Focused on the industry
Also try searching our catalogue using the subject Biotechnology - Dictionaries
General business dictionaries: See the Dictionaries section of the SFU Library's guide to Business Writing for many online and print business dictionaries
News sources that you can easily check frequently to keep on top of this rapidly changing field:
- BioWorld Online, The Daily Biotechnology Newspaper
- Globe Newswire: recent news on many industries, including biotechnology
Note that many of the relevant journals and magazines available online for SFU researchers have "alert" features that allow you to get emails when new issues are published or your chosen topics are reported on. See section 4.4 (Electronic Journals) of this guide for tips on finding relevant e-journals.
Business Source Complete is most likely to be the first article database that you should try, but the other resources on the following lists may also be useful. Ask for assistance if you can't find what you need in these databases.
Frost & Sullivan
In-depth industry and market research reports with global coverage of emerging technologies and services in many industries. Start by browsing the subsectors within Healthcare and within Chemicals, Materials, & Foods.
Note: Pilot subscription extended to August 2024. Feedback welcome!
Business Source Complete (BSC)
Uses SUBJECTS such as Biotechnology industries, Genetic engineering industry, and Pharmaceutical biotechnology industry. More tips for this database:
- BSC includes the full-text of such journals/magazines as Biotech Business, Biotech Financial Reports, Worldwide Biotech, and the Journal of Commercial Biotechnology
- Note that Business Source Complete also offers some MedTrack and MarketLine company profiles for major companies around the world. Click on the More > Company Profiles button at the top of the screen in the database and search for your company
- BSC also has thousands of industry and market reports, many of which touch on biotech topics. From the main search screen, check the box next to the Document Type "Industry Overviews" to focus your search on such reports
Argus Industry Review & Outlook via S&P Capital IQ
The Argus report series includes reports on industries such as Biotechnology, Medical Technology, and Pharmaceuticals. To find these reports within S&P Capital IQ, click on Research, then search for Argus Research Group in the Contributor field and Argus Industry Review in the Keyword field. Be sure to select the option to "Search Headline Only" for the Keyword field. See this screen capture for a visual of what your search should look like.
DelveInsight Business Research via Factiva
DelveInsight is a healthcare business consulting and market research company providing expert analysis focused mainly in the pharmaceutical and biotech sectors. The PDF research reports offer key insights into research and development, strategy formulation, operations, competitive intelligence and landscape, and mergers and acquisitions within these industries. (Click on Modify Search and add terms to the default "rst=DVITBR" in the search box to focus on products or conditions. E.g.: rst=DVITBR and hypertension)
Analysis of US, Canada, China and global industries providing insight into current and future industry performance, changing trends, operating conditions and supply chain linkages. Covers dozens of industries in the Life Science field such as Medical Instrument & Supply Manufacturing in Canada.
Global business and industry news from over 33,000 publications, including the Wall Street Journal. Factiva also includes some research report sources such as DelveInsight (mentioned elsewhere in this guide), The Insight Partners Research, and The Business Research Company.
Key biotech industry news publications to watch for within Factiva:
Check our lists of business databases for additional suggestions.
Science perspective (including biology, medicine, and computing)
Remember to include terms such as industry, business, or commerce in your searches to focus on the business aspects of the topic or you will be buried in scientific articles.
- Agricola: US National Agriculture Library: all things agricultural
- IEEE/IEE Explore: Computing/engineering
- Medline: Medical
- Nature Reviews (online journals via the SFU Library): Cancer, Drug Discovery, Genetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Cell Biology, Neurology, Neuroscience.
- Science Indexes: a wide range of sciences
- Also check our research guides to Biology and Molecular Biology & Biochemistry resources
- Academic Search Premier
- CBCA Complete: provides a more Canadian angle on the topic. Start with subjects such as Biotechnology industry
- Web of Science: citation index: find out who has cited key articles in their bibliographies
The SFU Library provides hundreds of journals & magazines that touch on biotechnology, most of which are available online for all current SFU researchers. For examples, see such titles as... Biotechnology & bioengineering, Biotechnology progress, and Biotechnology advances, as well as such magazines as Biotech Financial Reports.
Start by scanning the recent issues of some of the Nature Reviews titles owned by SFU. For example...
Books often provide a deeper and broader treatment of a subject than you can get from either a journal article or a web site. Start your search in the SFU Library Catalogue with the following subjects:
- Agricultural biotechnology
- Biotechnology industries
- Biotechnology industries -- British Columbia
- Biotechnology -- Canada
- Biotechnology -- Industrial applications
- Genetic engineering industry
- Pharmaceutical industry
Note that some of the resources listed in the Current Awareness section of this guide will give you recent company news/press releases. In addition, the databases listed in the Articles and Reports section are likely to provide company-specific information. The resources below are for more detailed financial information about companies - primarily of publicly-traded companies.
Key databases (largely financial data)
- MarketLine and Medtrack Company Reports via Business Source Complete: Over 31,000 company reports, more than 2000 of which are in the pharma/healthcare field.
- S&P Capital IQ: Read these blog posts for background on "CapIQ"
- Also see our Annual Reports and Company Information guides for further financial resources
- BIOTECanada's member list
- Biotech Industry Organization (BIO)'s member list
- LifeSciences BC's member list
More detailed SFU Library guides for company information
Associations and industry organizations often have publications, news, and links to further resources. The following are a few of the many associations and organizations associated with biotechnology.
- BIO Alberta
- BIO - Biotechnology Industry Organization
- BioNova: Nova Scotia Biotechnology & Life Sciences Industry Association
- Japan Bioindustry Association
- Ontario Bioscience Innovation Organization
- LifeSciences British Columbia
- Check out the magazine that they co-published with Business in Vancouver: Life Sciences BC - 2021
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)
- Life Sciences Ontario
Governments at all levels can be great sources of useful data and analysis.
- Invest Vancouver offers a useful overview of the local Life Sciences industry. Start with this recent (Apr. 2023) report: Life Sciences in Metro Vancouver: Shaping a Globally Prominent R&D Hub.
- Life Science in BC: From the Trade and Invest - BC site: note the related organizations listed near the end of the report and check out the reports for similar sectors such as Agri Technology. Also see the May 2023 report: Life Sciences in British Columbia: Sector Profile.
- Agriculture and Agrifood Canada: Sample: About novel and genetically-modified (GM) foods
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency: Office of Biotechnology
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Health Canada: search for "genetic testing" and related topics to find reports. Also check out their Genetically Modified (GM) Foods and Other Novel Foods page.
- Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada: Life Sciences and Biopharmaceuticals & pharmaceuticals
- Statistics Canada
- National Human Genome Research Institute: includes information on ethical, legal & social implications
- US Patent and Trademark Office: searchable patent database
- US Dept. of Agriculture: Agricultural Biotechnology Website
- Life Science Washington
- Australian Office of the Gene Technology Regulator
- European Commission: Biotechnology
- OECD Emerging Technologies
- FAO - Agricultural Biotechnologies
- More? - A detailed list of government sites around the world can be found at Governments on the WWW
Web guides & directories
These sites have been chosen because they have extensive links to biotechnology information. They are great places to start searching if the resources in this guide don't have what you need.
- BIOZONE - Biotechnology Links
- FAO - Agricultural Biotechnology - Links
- International Economics Network: Try their ITC/Biotech section
- Ethics for the Biotech Industry: See also the related resources on the right side of the page, including a few sites by the same author: e.g.,Genetics & Ethics; StemCells.ca; and PharmacoEthics.com)
- Canadian Bioethics Society
- Bioethics Research Library: Georgetown University
Start by searching the indexes listed in the Articles & Reports section above. The following list of journals is among the many potentially relevant titles that are online for SFU researchers.
- American journal of bioethics
- Journal of business ethics
- Kennedy Institute of Ethics journal
- Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine
- Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics
- Journal of Medical Ethics
- Theoretical medicine and bioethics
Start your search in our catalogue with such subject headings as:
- Biology - Social Aspects
- Business - Ethics
- Medical ethics
- Social responsibility of business
- Technology - Moral And Ethical Aspects
The following guides to patent research are great starting points: