On this page
Specialized Library guides
- Finding Ethnographies
- How to Write an Annotated Bibliography
- Library Research Tutorials Animated tutorials on search techniques for finding books and journal articles
- Academic Writing: What is a Literature Review?
- Research methods for Anthropology and Sociology
Selected encylopedias and handbooks
- Encyclopedia of anthropology [print or online]
- Social and cultural anthropology: the key concepts [print and online]
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
- ethnograph* AND (method* OR research OR analysis)
- (ethnogra* OR ethnolog*) AND (research method*)
- qualitative research
- reflexive* AND (research OR method*)
- (ethnograph* OR ethnolog*) AND (virtual OR hypermedia OR "second life" OR cyberspace OR "digital world")
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
Look at the titles in the "results list" and for those books that look relevant, click on their subject headings.
Browse by subject
To search for books by subject heading, use the Browse Search option in the SFU Library Catalogue, then select Subject browse from the drop-down menu
Change "Title" to "Subject" and enter:
- Anthropology -- History
- Culture -- Research -- Methodology
- Ethnology -- Fieldwork
- Ethnology -- Methodology
- Ethnology -- Philosophy
- Ethnology -- Research
- Focus Groups
- Qualitative research -- Methodology
- Social sciences -- Field work
- Social sciences -- Methodology
- Social sciences -- Research -- Methodology
For more ideas, try the Library guide: Research methods for Anthropology and Sociology
Find journal articles in databases
For help, refer to the How to find journal articles Library guide
If fulltext of article is not within the database, click on the "Get@SFU" to start a search for it. If the Library doesnot provide access, then use the Citation Finder/ILL tab to request a copy from another library (free).
Anthropology Plus - material relating to anthropology and archaeology. Unites Harvard's Anthropological Literature and the Royal Anthropological Institute's Anthropological Index Online
AnthroSource - Full-text access to journals produced by the American Anthropological Association
Sociological Abstracts: Sociological aspects of twenty-nine broad topics, including anthropology, business, collective behaviour, community development, disaster studies, education, environmental studies, gender studies, gerontology, law and penology, marriage and family studies, medicine and health, racial interactions, social psychology, social work, sociological theory, stratification, substance abuse, urban studies, and violence.
- APA (6th ed.) | APA (animated tutorial)
- Citation & Style Guides
Citation management software.
- SFU Library officially supports both Zotero and Mendeley. For help, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.