On this page
This guide provide information on research methods for Anthropology and Sociology.
Find books on research methods
Search by keyword in the Library Catalogue
- "topic word" AND "research method*"
- "qualitative research" AND method*
- indigen* AND "research method*"
Subject headings for books
These selected subject headings will help you to find books on research methods.
To search for books by subject heading, use the Browse Search option in the SFU Library Catalogue, then select Subject browse from the drop-down menu.
- Action Research -- Methodology
- Aging research -- Methodological issues
- Anthropology -- Research
- Anthropology -- Fieldwork
- Anthropology -- Methodology
- Communities -- Research
- Communities -- Research -- Methodology
- Culture -- Research -- Methodology
- Ethnology -- Fieldwork
- Ethnology -- Methodology
- Ethnology -- Philosophy
- Ethnology -- Research
- Ethnomusicology -- Fieldwork
- Feminist anthropology
- Focus Groups
- Indigenous peoples -- Research
- Indigenous peoples -- Research -- Methodology
- Interdisciplinary Research -- Methodology
- Internet -- Social Aspects -- Research Methodology
- Interviewing -- Methodology
- Interviewing in ethnology
- Interviewing in sociology
- Mathematical anthropology
- Medical anthropology -- Methodology
- Mixed methods research -- works on research methodology that combine approaches used in both quantitative and qualitative research
- Narrative inquiry (Research method)
- Oral history -- Methodology
- Participant observation
- Post-colonialism -- Research -- Methodology
- Qualitative research -- Methodology
- Quantitative research -- Methodology
- Questionnaires -- design
- Questionnaires -- Methodology
- Race -- Research -- Methodology
- Social epistemology
- Social surveys -- Methodology
- Social sciences -- Biographical methods
- Social sciences -- Field work
- Social sciences -- Methodology
- Social sciences -- Research -- Methodology
- Social sciences -- Statistical methods
- Social Surveys -- Methodology
- Sociology -- Research -- Methodology
- Surveys -- Methodology
- Urban anthropology -- Fieldwork
- Visual anthropology -- Methodology
- Visual Sociology -- Methodology
- Visual Sociology -- Research Methodology
These books will help you to get started:
- Contemporary issues surrounding ethical research methods and practice [print]
- Decolonizing ethnography : undocumented immigrants and new directions in social science
- Decolonizing Research : Indigenous Storywork as Methodology [print]
- Developing a critical ethnographic method : positionality, ontology and analysis
- Doing qualitative community research lessons for faculty, students and communities
- Handbook of methodological approaches to community-based research : qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods
- How to plan and conduct interviews in a research project
- Indigenous methodologies : characteristics, conversations and contexts
- Indigenous research : theories, practices, and relationships
- Indigenous statistics : a quantitative research methodology also [print]
- Methodological practices in social movement research
- Reclaiming Indigenous Research in Higher Education
- Researching Black Communities: A Methodological Guide
- Sage benchmarks in research methods
- Sage benchmarks in social research methods
- Sage dictionary of qualitative inquiry
- Sage encyclopedia of qualitative research methods
- Sage encyclopedia of social science research methods
- Sage handbook of visual research methods
- Sage quantitative research methods
- Urban anthropology series
- Video ethnography
- Video ethnography in practice : planning, shooting, and editing for social analysis [print]
- UBC CirCle Repository: Research 101: a Manifesto for Ethical Research in the Downtown Eastside
- Working effectively with indigenous peoples [print]
- Working with Aboriginal communities in places of higher learning [print]
Anthropology and sociology of a particular country
Try browse by "subject", "Sociology" and the subheadings, "name of the country", and also the subheading, "periodicals" (for journals)
- Anthropology -- China
- Anthropology -- Fieldwork -- Middle East
- Anthropology -- Iran -- Methodology
- Sociology -- China
- Sociology -- China -- Periodicals
- Sociology -- India
Sociology -- Japan -- Periodicals
Search databases that publish scholarly articles in your research area. Research methodologies are included in the text of articles and in the abstracts of article index records so a keyword search, using terms describing your methodology and the focus of your research, should produce relevant results. List of Databases for Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, Databases for Anthropology, Databases and for Sociology.
To find discussions of methodological issues, use terms describing your methodology combined with terms like "critique", "review", "assessment", "problem*", "ethic*", "issues", etc.
In addition to the lists of databases above, the Sage and Carma databases (listed, below) focus on research methods.
Sage Research Methods Online
Search or browse a wide variety of sources on research methods, including ebooks, articles, reference sources, and videos. Also includes research tools and instructional content.
SAGE Research Methods Cases
Case studies of research methods applied to real research projects. Researchers explain how they designed their research project, why they chose a particular research method, how they overcame problems and what they might have done differently in hindsight. Cases cover research methods such as focus groups, data collection, ethnography, semi-structured interviews, content analysis, grounded theory, action research and more.
SAGE Research Methods. Datasets
Collection of teaching datasets and instructional guides covering a range of research methods. By picking a dataset and working through the accompanying guides, students can learn data analysis by practicing themselves.
Sage Research Methods. Video
Videos on all aspects of the research process and methods. Also covers practical skills such as project management and writing for publication.
CARMA Video Library
Advanced training in research methods and data analysis from the Consortium for the Advancement of Research Methods and Analysis
Selected sources for literature reviews
Annual review of anthropology
Provides literature reviews of anthropology topics.
Annual review of sociology
Provides literature reviews of sociology topics.
Oxford Bibliographies Online
Lists key books, articles, and other sources on a wide variety of subjects via annotated and curated bibliographies. An excellent starting point for locating important literature and scholarly sources on a topic. Focuses on the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Abstracts and Index
Dissertations and theses from around the world. Historic and ongoing coverage. Current theses on your topic can provide you with both research methods and useful bibliographies.
- Cultural studies, critical methodologies
- Journal of applied quantitative methods
- Qualitative sociology review : QSR