On this page
This web page is intended to help you find information for the urban transportation industry. If you need help, please contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian, at 778.782.5043 (Monday to Thursday ), or email@example.com. Additionally, help is available at Ask a librarian.
Note: Several industry resources use North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), so refer to: NAICS 48 - 49 Transportation and Warehousing or the United Nations International Standard Industrial Classification (ISIC) "H". For resources using Standard industrial Classification for Transportation industries see Division E
- Passport GMID (Passport Industrial - Canada module) To find Canadian industries Search keyword E.G. : ISIC 62 (or: transport)
- IBISWorld Industry Reports - Canada module Click on Canada Industry Reports (NAICS) then Transportation and Warehousing In Canada
- Canada's Core Public Infrastructure Survey: Public transit assets, 2016 Statistics Canada
- Passenger bus and urban transit statistics Statistics Canada data table
- Transportation Data and Information Hub Statistics Canada
- DMTI Spatial (part of Abacus Dataverse) GIS data products, such as national rail network and transit lines
- See also: Finding data & statistics / GIS & maps for assistance with microdata files, quantitative survey research data, geospatial data and maps
- Canada Transportation Act
- Transportation and Warehousing (NAICS 48-49) Canadian Industry Statistics
- Transport Canada including Annual reports
- Transportation 2040 Plan City of Vancouver
- Statistics (ICBC) regional statistics on crashes, auto crime and vehicle and driver populations
- Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC) "safe, reliable, efficient and affordable air transportation of people and goods"
- BC Ferries including Annual reports
- Canadian Transportation Research Forum "promote the development of research in transportation and related fields" including their conference
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) "help ensure that the national transportation system runs efficiently and smoothly in the interests of all Canadians"
- Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA) federation of provincial trucking associations
- Railway Association of Canada (RAC) trade association
- Transportation Association of Canada "THE source for roadway-related technical documents, best practices, and national guidelines" including their conference
- Transportation Resources section of Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM)
- University of Toronto Transportation Research Institute (UTTRI) research on "roads, transit, freight and active transport modes (walk and bike) across a range of perspectives" Sample report: Is Uber a substitute or complement to public transit?
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute "independent research organization dedicated to developing innovative and practical solutions to transportation problems" (Victoria, B.C.) Sample report: Well Measured: Developing Indicators for Comprehensive and Sustainable Transport Planning
- Vision Zero Canada "campaigns for the elimination of traffic violence for all road users including drivers, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists"
- Encyclopedia of American Industries [online] Select Volume 2, select Transportation, then look under NAICS 485
- Plunkett's Transportation, Supply Chain & Logistics Industry Almanac 2016 [online] American industry trends and statistics e.g. Car-sharing programs
- IBISWorld Use NAICS, or click on US Industry Reports / Transportation and Warehousing
- Association for Commuter Transportation (ACT) "A Better Journey for Everyone"
- Eno Center for Transportation Professional development programs, policy forums, and publications
- Transportation Research Board "innovative, research-based solutions to improve transportation"including their conference (Annual Meeting)
- Transportation Research Forum "exchange of information and ideas related to both passenger and freight transportation" including their conference (Annual Forum)
- Transportation and logistics Industry Overview from PriceWaterhouseCoopers (mostly American)
- Encyclopedia of Global Industries [2017, 2011 and 2007 editions] e.g. "Rail Transportation"
- Handbook on transport and urban planning in the developed world
- Routledge handbook of transportation for transportation planners and engineers
- IBISWorld Industry Reports Sample reports: "Rail Transportation in Canada" and "Rail Transportation in the US"
- Mergent Industry Reports via Factiva - Largely autormotive coverage of the area of transport
- Statista Search: Industries and categories (bottom of pages) / Transportation and Logistics, or keyword e.g. car-sharing New! Publication Finder under section "Expert Tools" is a way to find grey literature (e.g. reports and policy papers)
- World Factbook U.S. government profiles of countries and territories around the world. Information on geography, people, government, transportation, economy, communications, etc.
Organizations and conferences
- IRJ International Railway Journal "managers, engineers and manufacturers of the world's railroads, commuter rail, metro, light rail and tram systems"
- ITE Institute of Transportation Engineers "association of transportation professionals who work to improve mobility and safety for all transportation system users" includes Technical Topics
- ITF International Transport Forum (OECD) "think tank for transport policy...covers all transport modes"
- ITDP Institute for Transportation and Development Policy "Accelerate the growth of sustainable transport and urban development around the world"
- Land Transport WTO sector services
- Passenger Transport OECD Data - other data includes passenger car registrations and road accidents
- Railfuture (UK) "Campaigning for better rail services for passengers and freight"
- Transport Research (RAND Europe) Sample project: Driving in the Future in Developing Countries
- Transport Research & Innovation Portal (TRIP) "in-depth information on large programmes and specific projects across Europe and at national level"
- UIC The Worldwide Railway Organisation "Promote rail transport at world level with the objective of optimally meeting current and future challenges of mobility and sustainable development"
- Conference: Urban Transport 2018 24th International Conference on Urban Transport and the Environment. Other notable conferences: Global Public Transport Summit (CUTA); Canadian Transportation Research Forum; Transportation Research Board annual meeting; and Transportation Association of Canada.
Journal article databases
Start with: TRID Transportation research (for subject terms see: TRT - Transportation Research Thesaurus)
- Applied Science and Technology Index Sample terms: Urban transportation; Urban transit systems; Public transit
- Geobase Human geography, urban planning
- Geodok "Geographically related literature." As it doesn't have any journal holdings use with SFU's Citation Finder
- ECONLIT Sample terms : Urban Transportation Economics; Transportation Planning
- Environment Complete Sample term: Sustainable transportation; Public transit
News and business articles
- Business Source Complete Industry articles and reports. Start your reports search by clicking on Industry Profiles on the right side of the Business Source Complete screen (and keyword: transportation) or go straight to MarketLine Industry Profiles, where you can limit by railroads AND Europe, or transportation AND Canada, for example
- CBCA Complete Full text index on Canadian topics, including newspaper articles, business and industry publications, with a Canadian focus
- Factiva Fulltext resource covering news, company and industry information (e.g. Transportation and then by Region such as Europe). Can search by individual title (e.g. Railway Age)
- See also: News resources: Finding newspaper articles and newspapers
You can also browse individual journals, such as:
- Journal of Transport Geography
- Transportation Research: A Policy and Practice; B Methodological; C Emerging Technologies ; D Transport and Environment; E the Logistics and and Transportation Review ; F Traffic Psychology and Behaviour
- Transportation Research Record
- Urban, Planning and Transport Research
- The geography of urban transportation [print] covers "passenger and freight dynamics in the American metropolis; the urban transportation planning process, including the use of GIS; and questions related to public transit, land use, energy, equity, environmental impacts, and more"
- Handbook of research methods and applications in transport economics and policy (online) "covering issues such as estimating cost functions, modelling of demand, dealing with externalities, examining industry ownership and structure, pricing and investment decisions and measuring economic impacts"
- Urban access for the 21st century : finance and governance models for transport infrastructure (online)"sets out a road map for the provision of urban access for all"
- See also: Transportation titles in Urban Studies Background information
- A history of transportation in Canada. Volume I, Continental strategy to 1867 [online and print] and Volume II, National economy, 1867-1936 [online and print]
- Lines of country : an atlas of railway and waterway history in Canada [print]
- The story of Canadian roads [print]
Sample SFU Library Catalogue Subject headings:
- Transportation -- Passenger traffic (further subheadings such as: --Canada, --Government policy)
- Urban transportation -- Canada (--British Columbia, etc.)
- Urban transportation -- Economic aspects
Sustainable transportation resources
- Sustainable transportation planning : tools for creating vibrant, healthy, and resilient communities [online and print]
- An introduction to sustainable transportation : policy, planning and implementation [print]
- An introduction to sustainable transportation : policy, planning and implementation [online and print]
- Transport Revolutions Moving People and Freight without Oil [online and print]
Organizations and Websites
- Active transportation promotion and education (City of Vancouver)
- Complete Streets for Canada desgning safe streets
- CUTA (Canadian Urban Transit Association) "Canada’s Voice for Public Transit and Integrated Mobility"
- Cycling in Cities (UBC) Studies and publications
- Plans and Projects Translink
American and International
- Alliance for Biking and Walking Benchmarking Project (US) 2016 report that incorporates a wide range of data sources on walking and cycling trends
- Center for Transit Oriented Development (US) " practices, policy reform, research, analysis, and investment tools to support TOD implementation"
- Human Transit blog "developments in public transit in the developed world, especially in North America"
- Mobilizing Sustainable Transport for Development United Nations
- National Center for Transit Research (US) "to make public transportation and all other travel choices, safe, effective, efficient, desirable, and secure"
- National Cycle Network (UK) Key statistics and academic research, including results of Cycling City and Towns programme
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center (US) includes state-by-state information
- Pedestrians First: Tools for a Walkable City (ITDP)
- Planning and design for sustainable urban mobility: Global report on human settlements UN Habitat
- Public Transport Research Group (Australia) "Research on public transport systems, users, planning and policy"
- Sustainable Cities Mobility Index 2017 Arcadis
- Transit Cooperative Research Program (US) TCRP is part of the American Public Transport Association
- Transit Center (US) "We put transit in the center of cities" includes publications and a blog
- Transport Politic (US) Includes Transport Databook for US and other information
- Walk Score blog to find the walkability of neighbourhoods and cities in US and Canada
- Metro Vancouver including Transportation & Land Use Co-ordination, Resources For Transportation & Land Use Co-ordination, and Monthly Regional Planning Data. In addition, its Harry Lash Library, serving municipal staff and the public, has useful online materials
- Canadian Surface Transportation Research Database (Transportation Association of Canada) See also the TAC Library Catalogue
- Center for Transportation Studies (UBC) including a list of publications
Note: Many of the resources on this page were gleaned from Mark Bodnar's business guide Industry Surveys, and thanks to Alex Thumm for other suggestions.