- Ethnologue -- A catalogue of the world's languages including information on alternate names, number of speakers, location, dialects, linguistic affiliation, and other sociolinguistic and demographic information. Note: Accessible only with a personal subscription.The Library does not have a subscription for this database, but some information is still freely available on the website.
- IPA alphabet chart -- A standard for the phonetic representation of all languages.
Language databases and corpora
- Linguistic Data Consortium. From the University of Pennsylvania.
- Creates, collects and distributes speech and text databases, lexicons, and other resources for research and development purposes.
- To see what corpora the SFU library has, search the Library catalogue by AUTHOR: Linguistic Data Consortium.
- See also the list of corpora at the SFU Linguistics department.
- CHILDES -- Child Language Data Exchange System
- TalkBank -- A system for sharing and studying conversational interactions.
- OLAC: Open Language Archives Community -- A worldwide virtual library of language resources.
- Speech Accent Archive. By Steven Weinberger, from George Mason U. A large set of speech samples from a variety of language backgrounds. Native and non-native speakers of English read the same paragraph, which is transcribed. Updated weekly.
- The MRC Psycholinguistic Database -- Machine-usable dictionary of words with linguistic and psycholinguistic attributes, which may be of use to researchers in psychology or linguistics to develop sets of experimental stimuli, or those in artificial intelligence and computer science who require psychological and linguistic descriptions of words.