- Ethnologue -- A catalogue of the world's languages including information on alternate names, number of speakers, location, dialects, linguistic affiliation, and other sociolinguistic and demographic information.
IPA alphabet chart -- A standard for the phonetic representation of all languages.
Language databases and corpora
Linguistic Data Consortium. From the University of Pennsylvania.
- Creates, collects and distributes speech and text databases, lexicons, and other resources for research and development purposes.
- To see what corpora the SFU library has, search the Library catalogue by AUTHOR: Linguistic Data Consortium.
- See also the list of corpora at the SFU Linguistics department.
- CHILDES -- Child Language Data Exchange System
- TalkBank -- A system for sharing and studying conversational interactions.
- OLAC: Open Language Archives Community -- A worldwide virtual library of language resources.
- Computational analysis of present-day American English [print]
Speech Accent Archive. By Steven Weinberger, from George Mason U.
A collection of over 750 audio clips in QuickTime format demonstrating speech accents from around the world. Native and non-native speakers of English read the same paragraph, which is transcribed. Updated weekly.
The MRC Psycholinguistic Database
A machine-usable dictionary, which may be of use to researchers in psychology or linguistics to develop sets of experimental stimuli, or those in artificial intelligence and computer science who require psychological and linguistic descriptions of words. The MRC Psycholinguistic Database was the basis for the "Oxford Psycholinguistic Database" made available for Apple Mackintosh from Oxford University Press in the early 1990's.