On this page
Start Your Research Here - This page gives you an overview of the research process, or in other words how to find materials for your essay.
Selected encyclopedias and handbooks
Use encyclopedias, dictionaries and handbooks to obtain definitions and overviews of a topic and also to identify key authors
- Bloomsbury handbook of 21st-century feminist theory
- Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Feminism 
- Routledge handbook to social care work around the world
Find journal articles
Search for journal articles on your topic using the databases, below. From within the database, use the "Get@SFU" icon will to find copies of articles which are not full-text within the database. If SFU Library does not provide access, then request a copy through the Library's Inter-Library-loans Service by filling out the Citation finder/ILL form.
- Women's Studies International -- Start with this database and then search other databases.
- Academic Search Premier -- (multidisciplinary) covers many GSWS journals in full text.Limit your search results to "Academic" or "Scholarly" sources
- Sociological Abstracts - for articles on societal issues
- Ageline - Literature on social gerontology, including articles from journals and magazines, books, research reports, and videos, with a focus on the social, psychological, and economic aspects of middle age and aging.
Find books in the Library
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
For the searches below, you can further limit the search results by "Subject" or "Resource type" (such as "books)
- "care work"
- (carework* OR "care work*") AND burden
- "care work" AND (family OR families OR "aging parent*" OR child* OR disabili*)
- "care work" AND (memoir* OR "life stor*" OR auto-biograph* OR narrative*)
- results limited to "books"
- (care OR caring) AND (memoir* OR "life stor*" OR auto-biograph* OR narrative*)
- "mother*" AND (memoir* OR "life stor*" OR auto-biograph* OR narrative*)
- "home care work*"
- (childcare OR child-care OR "child rearing") AND (responsibil* OR shar* OR burden)
Combine different concepts using AND
Combine same concepts using OR
Use quotation marks to search for a phrase
Use brackets for synonyms
Use asterisk (*) for different endings of words
Note: For Catalogue Search, when combining concepts, use CAPITAL letters ( "OR", "AND")
Look at the titles in the "results list" and for those books that look relevant, click on their subject headings.
- Ageing, Care Need and Quality of Life The Perspective of Care Givers and People in Need of Care
- Between interruptions : thirty women tell the truth about motherhood [print]
- Can't we talk about something more pleasant? : a memoir [print]
- Chicana Motherwork Anthology
- Contemporary Narratives of Ageing, Illness, Care
- Dementia caregivers share their stories : a support group in a book
- Disabling Domesticity
- Disposable domestics : immigrant women workers in the global economy
- Do Men Mother?: Fathering, Care, and Domestic Responsibility
- Feminist political ecology and the economics of care : in search of economic alternatives
- Hearts of wisdom American women caring for kin, 1850-1940
- How poetry saved my life : a hustler's memoir [print]
- Letters from Madelyn : chronicles of a caregiver
- Love's labors : essays on women, equality and dependency
- 'Mother Weight Carried across Borders': Migrant Materiality and the Maternal in Meena Alexander's Fault Lines: A Memoir
- Motherhood and Social Exclusion
- Regretting motherhood : a study [print]
- Respite Care: Caring for the Caregiver
- Shifting Traditions of Childrearing in China: Narratives from Three Generations of Women
- Towards a Global History of Domestic and Caregiving Workers
- Valuing care work : comparative perspectives
- Writing a woman's life [print]
Selected subject headings to find books
These selected Library of Congress Subject Headings will assist you with finding books on research methods.
Use the Browse Search option in the SFU Library Catalogue, then select "Subject" browse from the drop-down menu.
- Library Research Skills [interactive tutorial]
- What is plagiarism? [guide]
- Evaluating sources
- Referencing and citation management software For help, please contact us at email@example.com
- Student Learning Commons & Writing help
See the Student Learning Commons for expert and friendly help with academic writing, learning, and study strategies.