On this page
The Library has online services that will help you succeed at FIC. Just getting started with your research? Check out our Welcome video -- for a quick introduction to using the Library website for research and to get help. If your questions are not answered here, try searching the Library's website.
FIC Students can use their student card to:
- check out books and media at the Service & Equipment desk.
- borrow equipment such as laptops, chargers, headphones, digital projectors, and voice recorders.
- Loan periods are typically semester-long for general materials, 3 weeks for media and a few hours for equipment or course reserves.
- FIC students are not eligible to borrow SIAT Equipment from SFU Surrey.
- See Loan periods: Borrowing Library Materials for further information.
- request items from other universities or public libraries through inter-library loans (ILL).
- borrow Course Reserves set aside by instructors for their students.
- reserves are only allowed to be checked out for a few hours or a few days.
- Search the Catalogue to find reserves by course number.
- borrow special loans materials (bound journals, maps, etc.)
You may have to pay a fee for recalled items or overdue equipment. See Fine and penalties: Borrowing Library Materials for further information.
General items and media that have not been recalled by another patron will automatically renew about 7 days before their due date. You can renew most items, that have not been recalled by another patron, by logging into your account in the Library Catalogue, by phone, or in person. If a book is already overdue, you may not be allowed to renew it at all or if you can renew it, you may have to renew it in person.
You cannot renew equipment loans, but if there is more equipment available, you can check out a new item
If a book is not available at your preferred library or checked out by someone else, you can place a hold on it (also called requesting or recalling). The library will send you an email when it is ready for pickup and you can pick it up from any SFU Library branch.
You can find group study rooms on Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver campuses.
Computer availability on all floors of W.A.C. Bennett Library (SFU Burnaby) is kept current on our website.
You can use the library’s computers and software to do assignments. The Express Stations are for quick searches and are not meant to be used for course work.
You can also print and scan in the Library.
The Student Learning Commons (SLC) helps students with learning, researching, and writing.
You can attend workshops and use resources such as worksheets and handouts.
FIC students cannot book individual consultation appointments.
The SLC prepares handouts and worksheets to help you with writing, exam prep, giving presentations, managing time effectively, and thinking and reading critically.
The SLC does not offer help with cover letters or resumes.
You can use this handy tool to break your writing assignment into parts and get advice on how to plan your time.