On this page
Equipment borrowing is available for current registered and enrolled students, faculty and staff at all three SFU Library locations.
Equipment borrowing limits
Current registered and enrolled students, faculty and staff are allowed to borrow one (1) item at a time for each type of equipment borrowed from the SFU Library.
For example, you can borrow one (1) laptop, one (1) projector, one (1) charger and one (1) mouse from the library at the same time, but you cannot borrow two (2) laptops or two (2) chargers at the same time.
Borrowing and using Library equipment
Take special care with any equipment borrowed from the library. Borrowers must:
- Ensure that all the equipment is complete and working before leaving the Library.
- Use the equipment at their own risk. The Library takes no responsibility for damages or harm to the borrower, borrower’s work, materials and property due to faulty equipment.
- Use the equipment carefully and to minimize wear and tear.
- Notify the Library immediately if the equipment is not working properly.
- NOT duplicate any software from any library equipment.
- Take note of when the equipment is due back, and return it on time.
- Make sure that the equipment is whole and in good working order before returning it.
- Turn the equipment off before returning.
- Return all equipment to the same location where it was borrowed from, directly to Library staff (for example, do not leave equipment in a book drop or on a counter).
- You are responsible for the equipment until it is checked in.
If equipment is late, lost, stolen, or damaged, borrowers must pay the Library fines or fees. Equipment loan periods, renewals, and requests
Equipment loan periods
Check the specific Library location for loan periods and renewals:
- Belzberg (SFU Vancouver): 4 hour loan period or due 1 hour before the library closes. No renewals.
- Bennett (SFU Burnaby): 4 hour loan period or due 1 hour before the library closes. No renewals.
- Fraser (SFU Surrey): Loan periods vary based on the type of equipment.
Overdue fines and fees
Late fees for equipment are assessed per hour (or a portion thereof) and will be charged for all equipment not returned on time.
Borrowers are responsible for late, lost, stolen, or damaged equipment and will be charged for replacing the equipment. For more information:
How do I find out if a type of equipment is available?
Can I connect to WiFi?
Can I print from a Library laptop?
How do I save my files?
Can I borrow a laptop lock?