Skip to main content
Associations and organizations
- Alliance for Arts and Culture -- Monitors public policy in B.C. and represents the interests of artists across the disciplines. Offers a range of services that allow artists to publicize their event and access professional development opportunities.
- Artexte -- Artexte Documentation Centre has an exhaustive collection of publications relating to all aspects of the visual arts with Canadian relevance published since 1965. The Bibliographic Database describes books and exhibition catalogues in their collection. The Public Art Database describes permanent and ephemeral public artworks produced mainly in Quebec since 1964.
- Artists Rights Society -- "ARS is the preeminent copyright, licensing, and monitoring organization for visual artists in the United States."
- The British Columbia Museums Association -- Includes links to cultural resources in British Columbia.
- Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN).
- CARFAC -- Canadian Artists' Representation. Promotes a socio-economic climate that is conducive to the production of visual arts in Canada. Conducts research and engages in public education for these purposes
- Women's Studio Workshop -- The Women's Studio Workshop's mission is to operate and maintain an artists' workspace that encourages the voice and vision of women artists. See their Artists' Book Archive.
- British Columbia Arts Council -- Provides support "for the arts and cultural community to achieve its creative, social and economic potential."
- The Canada Council for the Arts -- Awards grants and provides support to the performing arts. Includes a performing arts directory, with current information on presenters, festivals, contacts.
- Guide to Canadian arts grants -- Guide to government and private sources of financial assistance [print]
- Directory of the arts -- Directory of the Arts in Canada [print]
- The artist's resource handbook [print]
- Art in America -- Each August issue is a guide to museums, galleries, artists, exhibitions, catalogues and schools.
- Vancouver arts directory [print]
- Guide to Canadian arts grants [print]
- IDEA 95/96: international directory of electronic arts [print]
- International directory of arts [print]
- The Leonardo almanac -- Profiles of organizations and individuals active in the areas of fine art, science and technology, covering residencies, grants and research programs in sound, computer arts, video and multimedia [print]
- Museums of the world [print]
- The official museum directory [print]
- The Getty Museum and Institute -- Free access to the Provenance Index, Art & Architecture Thesaurus, Union List of Artist Names, and Thesaurus of Geographic Names.
- National Museum of Women in the Arts -- This Washington, DC museum is "the only museum in the world dedicated exclusively to recognizing the contributions of women artists."
- The official directory of Canadian museums and related institutions -- 1984- AM 21 A2 D48
- Art information and the internet Bennett N 59 J66 1999.
- Art Museum Network -- " The Official website of the world's leading art museums...."
- Artcyclopedia -- " a comprehensive index of every artist represented at hundreds of museum sites, image archives, and other online resources."
- artnet.com -- Information on artists, galleries, auctions, prints and books for sale, links to museums and reference sources.
- Artwave -- This site, hosted by Rogers, provides online access to a number of galleries in some of Canada's leading museums.
- Centre for Contemporary Canadian Art -- Canadian Art Database Provides information on Canadian artists and writers and an extensive directory of links to other Canadian art Web sites.
- Euromuse -- Euromuse is a public access portal giving accurate information on major exhibitions in European museums.
- Historical Canadian Women Artists Bio-bibliographic Database -- From Concordia University. "...brings together the growing body of literature about women artists born before 1925."
- Virtual Museum of Canada -- Includes exhibits, an image gallery and links to many Canadian museums, along with a teachers' centre.