This guide is designed to help you get started with your Communication research. Find books, journal articles, and additional research resources available to you at SFU Library.
Did you know that you can now book an appointment with me for a research consultation?
I'm usually at the Burnaby campus on Mondays & Wednesdays and at the Vancouver campus on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
During the Spring 2020 term, I'll be in Burnaby for office hours, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 to noon, in the Flex Research Lab (K7642) in the department of CMNS. Please drop by to say hello and ask me anything!!!
Follow my Twitter feed: CMNSlibrarian
Help with course assignments
- CMNS 110 (Burnaby) Introduction to Communication Studies (Daniel Ahadi) (updated: Oct 18)
- CMNS 130 (Burnaby) Communication and Social Change (Svitlana Matviyeko) (updated: Sept 18)
- CMNS 110 / 130 (Fraser International College) Explorations in Mass Communication (updated: May 14)
- CMNS 201 Empirical Methods for Communications Research [Chris Jeschelnik) (updated: Spring 21]
- CMNS 210 Media History (Cait McKinney) (updated: Fall 20]
- CMNS 220 Understanding Television (Zoe Druick) (updated: Spring 16)
- CMNS 230 The Cultural Industries in Canada: Global Context (Mariane Bourcheix-Laporte) (updated: Spring 21)
- CMNS 253 Introduction to Information Technology: The new media (Svitlana Matviyenko) (updated: Spring 18)
- CMNS 253 (CODE) Introduction to Information Technology: The new media (updated: Fall 17)
- CMNS 326 Finding data (updated: Nov 15)
- CMNS 334 Cultural Policy research guide (updated: Fall 17)
- CMNS 362 Evaluation Methods for Applied Communication Research (NoW, Vincent Andrisani ) (updated: Spring 19]
- CMNS 487 (Burnaby) Collective Memory and Public Discourse (Jan Marontate) (updated: Sept 15)
- CMNS 488 (Vancouver) Art Worlds (Jan Marontate) (updated: Sept 15)
- CMNS 800 (Vancouver) Contemporary research in Communication studies (Zoe Druick) (updated: Fall 19]
- CMNS 801 (Burnaby) Design and methodology in Communication research (Ahmed Al-Rawi) [updated Jan 20}
New Communication books
- Roleplaying games in the digital age : essays on transmedia storytelling, tabletop RPGs and fandom
- The gifting logos : expertise in the digital commons
- Rhetoric, Inc. : Ford's filmmaking and the rise of corporatism
- The Generic Closet : Black Gayness and the Black-Cast Sitcom.
- Deciphering China's microchip industry
- Mind abuse : media violence and its threat to democracy
- The stuff of spectatorship : material cultures of film and television
- Digital media effects
- Cultural policy : origins, evolution, and implementation in Canada's provinces and territories
- Provocauteurs and provocations : screening sex in 21st century media
- Creative control the ambivalence of work in the culture industries
- Censorship of literature in post-revolutionary Iran : politics and culture since 1979
- Communicating in the anthropocene : intimate relations
- Key scholarship in media literacy : David Buckingham
- Gaming utopia : ludic worlds in art, design, and media
- Politics of withdrawal : media, arts, theory