On this page
Being able to present your ideas in front of large audiences is very important -- both academically and professionally. The resources in this guide will help you develop this important skill throughout your years here at SFU.
For further resources and tips, try the following:
Resources to help you improve your presentation skills
An excellent list of resources prepared by the SFU Student Learning Commons. Note that they also offer suggestions about safe places to practice your presentation skills and tips to help you speak up in class.
How to Do Public Speaking and Presentations
A section of the Free Management Library, this guide features detailed tips from an expert, as well as links to many other posts, guides, and articles in sources ranging from FastCompany to the HBR's blogs.
Books and ebooks
- The introverted presenter : ten steps for preparing and delivering successful presentations
- Persuasive business presentations : using the problem-solution method to influence decision makers to take action
- Well said! : Presentations and conversations that get results (American Management Association)
- How leaders speak : essential rules for engaging and inspiring others
- The Financial Times essential guide to making business presentations : how to deliver a winning message [print and online]
- Resonate : present visual stories that transform audiences [print and online]
Try the following subject headings in the SFU Library Catalogue:
- Public speaking : an audience-centered approach [print]
- The leader's guide to storytelling : mastering the art and discipline of business narrative
- The art of lecturing : a practical guide to successful university lectures and business presentations [print]
A couple specific publications in BSC that you may want to focus on:
- American Speaker (for tips)
- Vital Speeches of the Day (for examples of inspiring and polished speeches, many of which are on business topics).
The subjects listed above will also work when looking in the SFU Library Catalogue for videos -- just change the location search option from All items to Audio Visual.
For online/streaming videos, try Lynda.com Online Training Library. Start with a search for the titles:
- Creating and Giving Business Presentations
- Effective Public Speaking
- PowerPoint Tips and Tricks for Business Presentations
- Prezi Business Essential Training
- Structuring an effective presentation
Samples of videos available for SFU students and instructors
Stand & deliver! : Effective techniques for presenting to groups (Bennett Media Collection: DVD)
Shows how to become an effective communicator to groups. Effective communication enables us to persuade, to influence, to teach and to achieve our goals.This self contained workshop package is designed to improve presentation skills with techniques to improve confidence, vocal skills, body language, management of nerves, and relationship with your audience.
The basics of how to plan, write and give a winning presentation (Fraser Media - (Surrey): DVD)
Be ready to anticipate the moment. Feel the goals and aspirations of your audience and make the presentation of your life! Divided into three sections--planning, writing and giving a presentation, this training program will help you overcome the "presentation jitters" and deliver what the audience expects--a great speech!
The art of public speaking : lessons from the greatest speeches in history [Bennett Media Collection: DVD)
A 12-lecture course covering such key aspects of powerful speeches as painting pictures with words, finding your humorous voice, and building a logical case.