On this page
Being able to present your ideas in front of large audiences is very important -- both academically and professionally. The resources in this guide will help you develop this important skill throughout your years here at SFU.
For further resources and tips, try the following:
Resources to help you improve your presentation skills
An excellent list of resources prepared by our SFU Student Learning Commons. Note that they also offer suggestions about safe places to practice your presentation skills and tips to help you speak up in class.
How to Do Public Speaking and Presentations
A section of the Free Management Library, this guide features detailed tips from an expert, as well as links to many other posts, guides, and articles in sources ranging from FastCompany to the HBR's blogs.
Books and ebooks
- Presentation Zen : simple ideas on presentation design and delivery
- The leader's guide to storytelling : mastering the art and discipline of business narrative
- Everyday business storytelling: create, simplify, and adapt a visual narrative for any audience
- The introverted presenter : ten steps for preparing and delivering successful presentations
- Present! Connect: create and deliver presentations that capture, entertain, and connect to ANY audience
- Persuasive business presentations : using the problem-solution method to influence decision makers to take action
- 10 steps to successful presentations
- Well said! : Presentations and conversations that get results
- Better presentations: A guide for scholars, researchers, and wonks
- How leaders speak : essential rules for engaging and inspiring others
- The Financial Times essential guide to making business presentations : how to deliver a winning message
- Resonate : present visual stories that transform audiences
- The Harvard Business Review good charts collection : tips, tools, and exercises for creating powerful data visualizations
- Good charts workbook : tips, tools, and exercises for making better data visualizations
- HBR guide to persuasive presentations
- Mastering the art of oral presentations: winning orals, speeches, and stand-up presentations
- Public speaking for leaders: Communication strategies for the global market
- Powerful Presentations: Selling Your Story on Stage or in the Boardroom
Try the following subject headings in the SFU Library Catalogue:
- Speaking with a purpose
- Scared speechless : 9 ways to overcome your fears and captivate your audience
- Understanding public speaking : a learner's guide to persuasive oratory
A few specific publications in BSC that you may want to focus on:
- American Speaker & Communication Briefings (for tips)
- Vital Speeches of the Day (for examples of inspiring and polished speeches, many of which are on business topics).
The subjects listed above will also work when looking in the SFU Library Catalogue for videos -- just change the location search option from All items to Audio Visual.
For online/streaming videos, try LinkedIn Learning. Start with a search for these titles:
- Designing a Presentation
- Own Your Voice: Improve Presentations and Executive Presence
- Creating and Giving Business Presentations
- Effective Public Speaking
- PowerPoint Tips and Tricks for Business Presentations
- Prezi Business Essential Training
- Data-Driven Presentations with Excel and PowerPoint (365/2019)
- Structuring an effective presentation
Samples of videos available for SFU students and instructors
5 Essentials for Powerful Presentations [streaming video]
"...memorable ways to commence, managing anxiety, being succinct and sign-posting information, maintaining audience engagement, relaxed body language, telling a story, and finishing with a bang"
Preparing for an online presentation [streaming video]
Describes ways to ensure effective online meetings and presentations.
Presentations : When Am I Ever Going to Use This? [streaming video]
Students will learn important skills for utilizing Microsoft Powerpoint. Watch to learn about the tools available to make a well-rounded presentation.
Presentation Skills [streaming video]
Series of over 30 short videos on basic presentation skills, including the design, structure, and content of a presentation.