On this page
Being able to present your ideas in front of large audiences is very important -- both academically and professionally. The resources in this guide will help you develop this important skill throughout your years here at SFU.
For further resources and tips, try the following:
Resources to help you improve your presentation skills
An excellent list of resources prepared by our SFU Student Learning Commons. Note that they also offer suggestions about safe places to practice your presentation skills and tips to help you speak up in class.
Books and ebooks
View/hide samples of "business presentations" titles
Try the following subject headings in the SFU Library Catalogue:
- Speaking with a purpose
- Scared speechless : 9 ways to overcome your fears and captivate your audience
- Understanding public speaking : a learner's guide to persuasive oratory
A couple specific publications in BSC that you may want to focus on:
- Communication Briefings (for tips)
- Vital Speeches of the Day (for examples of inspiring and polished speeches, many of which are on business topics).
The subjects listed above will also work when looking in the SFU Library Catalogue for videos -- just change the location search option from All items to Audio Visual.
For online/streaming videos, try LinkedIn Learning. Start with a search for these titles:
- Designing a Presentation
- Own Your Voice: Improve Presentations and Executive Presence
- Creating and Giving Business Presentations
- Effective Public Speaking
- PowerPoint Tips and Tricks for Business Presentations
- Data-Driven Presentations with Excel and PowerPoint (365/2019)
- Structuring an effective presentation
Samples of videos available for SFU students and instructors
5 Essentials for Powerful Presentations [streaming video]
"...memorable ways to commence, managing anxiety, being succinct and sign-posting information, maintaining audience engagement, relaxed body language, telling a story, and finishing with a bang"
Preparing for an online presentation [streaming video]
Describes ways to ensure effective online meetings and presentations.
Presentations : When Am I Ever Going to Use This? [streaming video]
Students will learn important skills for utilizing Microsoft Powerpoint. Watch to learn about the tools available to make a well-rounded presentation.
Presentation Skills [streaming video]
Series of over 30 short videos on basic presentation skills, including the design, structure, and content of a presentation.