On this page
Downloading NVivo 14
Before downloading NVivo 14, please note:
Projects created in older major versions such as NVivo release 1 or NVivo 12 can be opened in newer major version. The older-version project file is copied and the copy formatted for the newer version—the original file is not changed.
Projects created in newer major versions cannot be opened in older major versions—e.g. you cannot open NVivo 14 or release 1 projects in NVivo version 12.
While it is possible to work with a project on both Windows and Mac (cross-platform), there are issues with doing so and we recommend that users work with their projects on a single platform.
We recommend that users working in teams use the same version of the software (and do not work cross-platform).
Updating the license key for NVivo 12
A new license key is available for NVivo 12 via the self-serve download page. The new license key must be inputted in order to continue using the software after May 30, 2023.
Comparing NVivo versions
NVivo Feature Comparison - compares features and functionality of NVivo – Mac and NVivo – Windows across NVivo versions from NVivo 12 to NVivo 14
Inputting a new license key
If you are using a trial license, you can switch to the SFU license when the trial expires. Access the license key vis the self-serve download page.
For resources to help you get up and running with NVivo visit Lumivero's NVivo Knowledge Base;
Technical support is also available directly from NVivo via their Technical Resource Manual and Support page.
The Library provides training workshops and consultations.
- Please first confirm that you have downloaded NVivo from the SFU Library NVivo self-serve download page.
- If the file is not opening correctly, it's worth completely uninstalling NVivo from your computer and then downloading and installing NVivo again to see if this resolves the issue.
- Next, try to validate NVivo again, using the license key available here, making sure to copy and paste to avoid confusion between O and 0 and I and 1.
- Some users have reported that it took several attempts to copy and paste before it validated successfully.
- If that doesn't work, you can also try to deactivate NVivo (then re-activate) and validate, using the following steps:
- Launch NVivo.
- For Windows: Click on the File tab. Click Help - Manage License - Deactivate License
- For Mac: Click on the NVivo tab. Check Licensing - Deactivate.
- You should see a message confirming the deactivation. Close down NVivo.
- Turn off any firewall or antivirus software, as that can sometimes interfere with installation.
- Launch NVivo again.
- Enter the license key when prompted, and click "Next."
- Launch NVivo.
If you've tried these steps and they didn't resolve your issue, please reach out. Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, or book an appointment with an NVivo expert using the NVivo Consultation Request form.
Tips for Mac:
1."NVivo cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified ... " error.
if you have problem in opening NVivo 14 for Mac due to Apple Gatekeeper prompt
NVivo cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. MacOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware as follows:
2. Full Disk Access information for NVivo 12 for Mac
Full Disk Access is a security feature, introduced since macOS Mojave, that requires applications to give permission to Nvivo to access user-protected files.
Full disk access is required on some Mac computers for NVivo to work. NVivo is designed to only access files that are imported to a project. NVivo also stores files in the following locations: