During COVID-19, Research Commons' services continue.
SFU graduate students are encouraged to book consultations with the Research Commons staff and partners. Consultations are available by phone, via email, or through online video-conference.
Not finding what you're looking for? Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can discuss your research support needs.
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Head, Research Commons
Nicole White - On study leave through August 2021
Assistant Head, Research Commons
The Assistant Head, Research Commons coordinates programming and services for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows across disciplines.
- Thesis Boot Camp & reBoot
- All in a Day workshop series.
- Qualitative data analysis software (NVivo)
- Citation management (Zotero and Mendeley)
- Online research profiles, scholarly networks, researcher visibility, and knowledge mobilization
- Tableau for data visualization
Digital Scholarship Librarians
The Digital Scholarship Librarians support researchers at all levels who are engaged with digital humanities through project consultations, digital skill development workshops, and the Library's resources in digitization and project hosting. The Digital scholarship Librarians are also responsible for administering SFU's Open Access Fund and supporting researchers with scholarly communication.
Julie Jones (to September 2021)
- Digital Humanities (DH)
- DH tools / software training and support requests
- DHIL Digital Fellows
- Grant consultation for digital project support
Adena Brons (to end of August 2021)
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research impact, research metrics, and bibliometrics
- ORCID Institutional Membership
- Open Access Fund
- Funder OA requirements, publication venues, author rights
- New forms of scholarship / dissemination
Rebecca Dowson is on leave through to September 2021.
GIS & Map Librarian & Liaison Librarian for Geography
The GIS/Map Librarian supports researchers from all disciplines using GIS and maps in their work through consultations, workshops, and developing the Library's geospatial data and map collections. This librarian also serves as the liaison to the Department of Geography at SFU.
Sarah Zhang (to September 2021)
- Liaison to Geography
- Accessing geospatial data
- Access to GIS software (ArGIS, IDRISI, QGIS, etc.)
- Oversees GIS graduate peer facilitator
- Access / use of print map collection
- Manages access to Esri Virtual Campus courses and ArcGIS Online
- Raise awareness of use of GIS in research and GIS services offered by the library
Julie Jones is currently on a modified portfolio as a Digital Scholarship Librarian, to September 2021
Research Data Services Librarian and Librarian for Government Information
- Providing access to data resources
- Support in navigating and accessing government resources
- Research data management support including data curation, data management planning, and data deposit
Knowledge Mobilization Officer
The Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) Officer supports SFU researchers in identifying and implementing best practices for mobilizing research findings through a broad range of channels.
- Supports the development and implementation of KMb plans for grant-funded projects
- Develops and coordinates KMb skills training programs and provides leadership for the University’s annual KMb priorities
- Creates SFU-specific tools and assists researchers with finding ways to engage public audiences
Assistant for Theses
The Research Commons' Library Assistant provides administrative support for the Research Commons and supports Thesis formatting and submission.
For more about our services, details about our spaces, and our mailing address, see About the Research Commons.
You can also contact us at email@example.com.