Visit the Research Commons at SFU Burnaby and SFU Vancouver.
Research Commons locations
Head, Research Commons
Research Commons Librarian
The Research Commons Librarian coordinates programming and services for graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty across disciplines.
- Thesis Writing Retreat and Thesis Writing Group
- All in a Day and Start Here: All About Graduate Research and Writing workshop series
- Interdisciplinary research skills
- Qualitative data analysis software (NVivo)
- Citation management software (Zotero) support and workshops
Digital Scholarship Librarians
The Digital Scholarship Librarians support researchers at all levels who are engaged with digital humanities through project consultations, digital skill development workshops, and the Library's resources in digitization and project hosting. The Digital scholarship Librarians are also responsible for administering SFU's Open Access Fund and supporting researchers with scholarly communication.
Ali Moore (to October 2023)
- Digital Humanities (DH)
- DH tools / software training and support requests
- DHIL Digital Fellows
- Grant consultation for digital project support
- Knowledge mobilization, online research profiles, scholarly networks, and researcher visibility
- Tableau for data visualization
Rebecca Dowson (to October 2023)
- Research impact, research metrics, and bibliometrics
- ORCID Institutional Membership
- Open Access Fund
- Funder OA requirements, publication venues, author rights
- New forms of scholarship / dissemination
Librarian for Geography, GIS, & Maps
The GIS and Maps Librarian supports researchers from all disciplines using GIS and maps in their work through consultations, workshops, and developing the Library's geospatial data and map collections. This librarian also serves as the liaison to the Department of Geography at SFU.
- Liaison to Geography
- Accessing geospatial data
- Access to GIS software (ArGIS, IDRISI, QGIS, etc.)
- Oversees GIS graduate peer facilitator
- Access / use of print map collection
- Manages access to Esri Virtual Campus courses and ArcGIS Online
- Raise awareness of use of GIS in research and GIS services offered by the library
Research Data Services Librarian and Librarian for Government Information
- Providing access to data resources
- Support in navigating and accessing government resources
- Research data management support including data curation, data management planning, and data deposit
Knowledge Mobilization Manager
The Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) Officer supports SFU researchers in identifying and implementing best practices for mobilizing research findings through a broad range of channels.
- Supports the development and implementation of KMb plans for grant-funded projects
- Develops and coordinates KMb skills training programs and provides leadership for the University’s annual KMb priorities
- Creates SFU-specific tools and assists researchers with finding ways to engage public audiences
Assistant for Theses
The Assistant for Theses provides support to graduate students with guidance on how to use the thesis template, thesis formatting requirements, and the thesis submission process in order to submit their thesis to the Library for graduation purposes according to SFU's Graduate General Regulations. This also involves the processing required for the eventual deposit of a thesis into SFU's institutional repository (Summit), Library and Archives Canada, and the Library Catalogue.
- Thesis formatting
- Thesis template
- Thesis submission process (Thesis Registration System, regulations and forms required, etc.)
Anise Ladha (Currently on leave)
The Research Commons' Library Assistant provides administrative support for the Research Commons and supports Thesis formatting and submission.
- Thesis formatting support
- Thesis submission support
- General administrative support: Research Commons workshop registration, graduate group room bookings, etc.
Graduate writing services
You can contact the Graduate Writing Team at email@example.com.
- Read-Ahead Service
- Writing Consultations
- Presentation Consultations
- Writing Workshops
For more about our services, details about our spaces, and our mailing address, see About the Research Commons.
You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.