For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 or firstname.lastname@example.org) Monday to Thursday .
Instructor: Dr. Sharon Koehn
"The focus of this course is to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of the process of dying. By examining the process of dying, one's personal response to death as well as society's reaction and responsibilities toward dying, the student will gain new insights in caring for the dying person.
." [Note: for more information see the GERO 406 course outline and page in Canvas. If there are discrepancies between information listed on this page and that in Canvas or instructor handouts, please refer to the latter.]
How to give effective presentations
- Giving Effective Presentations - SFU webguide that provides detailed instruction on how to succeed in university presentations
- My Awesome Presentation - detailed web-resource that describes how to create an Awesome presentation
Term paper (finding articles and books)
Researching and writing an essay
- Start Your Research Here - Follow this SFU guide to researching and writing a term paper.
- Do you already have a good article (HINT: as in a reading from a module in Canvas) and want more? Try citation pearl-growing, as shown on this Youtube tutorial either using an EBSCO database like Ageline right below or using Google Scholar
- Ageline - the major social gerontology database. NEW! An Introduction to the Ageline database
- CINAHL Complete - Nursing and allied health (sample subject term: Terminal Care)
- Philosopher's Index (sample subject term: Assisted Suicide; Palliative Care; End of Life)
- Sociological Abstracts major sociology database (formerly known as SocioFile)
You can also browse a major journal in the area, Omega: journal of death and dying
- Dying and Death in Canada [print and older edition is online]
- What dying people want: practical wisdom for the end of life [print]
- Macmillan encyclopedia of death and dying [print or online] for understanding concepts
- Handbook of family resilience [online] See part 4: Resilience, Loss and Grief
- Handbook of thanatology: the essential body of knowledge for the study of death, dying, and bereavement [print or online]
- Canadian health law and policy [print] Chapter 9 "Death dying and decision-making about end of life care" includes relevant cases
- Death: Current perspectives [print]
- Death, dying and Canadian families [online]
- Dying and death in Canada [print or online]
- End of Life Care: a national dialogue
- End of Life Stories [print or online]
- The last dance: Encountering death and dying [print]
- Older Adult’s Views on Death [print or online]
- Royal Society of Canada Expert Panel: End-of-life decision-making
- World of Bereavement: Cultural Perspectives on Death in Families
- Beware the 5 Stages of Grief - TLC Group
- The Canadian Law Reform Commission’s definition of death (1979)
- Compassion and Choices - "a nonprofit organization, improves care and expand choice at the end of life. We support, educate and advocate." (U.S.)
- Dealing with Sudden Death - (Help Starts Here) BC Ministry of Justice
- Death with Dignity Act - (Oregon)
- The Definition of Death - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Discussion paper on a provincial strategy for end-of-life care in British Columbia British Columbia - BC Ministry of Health Services
- Dying with Dignity - "improve quality of dying and to expand end of life choices in Canada"
- Meaning of Life and Meaning of Death in Successful Aging - Paul Wong, International Network on Personal Meaning
- Of Life and Death - Final Report - the Special Senate Committee on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide
- The Pan-Canadian Gold Standards in Palliative Home Care - Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA)
- Provincial Framework for End-of-Life Care - BC Ministry of Health Services
- Quality of Death: Ranking end-of-life care across the world - Economist Intelligence Unit
- Quality End-of-Life Care: The Right of Every Canadian
Palliative Care and Hospice Associations
- BC Hospice Palliative Care Association - "to ensure quality of care for British Columbians faced with a life-threatening illness, death and bereavement"
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA) - "That all Canadians have access to quality end-of-life care"
- Canadian Virtual Hospice
- Delta Hospice Society pamphlets
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) - The professional organization for physicians taking care of people at the end of life
- American Hospice Foundation
- Center to Advance Palliative Care
- Hospice Net - "For patients and families facing life-threatening illness"
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM) - provides professional support and fellowship for medical practitioners working in palliative care
- European Association for Palliative Care - "palliative care in Europe and to act as a focus for all of those who work, or have an interest, in the field of palliative care"
- International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care - providing education about palliative care and hospice in the developing world
- Palliative Care Council of South Australia - useful publications in the Information Centre
- Births and Deaths - BC Stats
- Infoline - BC Stats; causes of death in BC
- Leading Causes of Death and Hospitalization in Canada - Public Health Agency of Canada
- Leading Causes of Death in Canada - Statistics Canada; includes ten leading causes of death for provinces and territories by sex"
- Life expectancy at birth - Statistics Canada
- Mortality, Summary List of Causes - Statistics Canada
- Death and Culture - Wikipedia entry
- Americans for Better Care of the Dying - "dedicated to ensuring that all Americans can count on good end of life care"
- Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross - official site
- Growth House - "provides content development and syndication services for organizations working with death and dying issues."
- Human Mortality Database - providing detailed mortality and population data (requires registration)
- LGBT End-of-Life Conversations - Gerontology Research Centre (SFU)
- Longevity Game - find out how long actuaries think you will live
- Quality End-of-Life Care Coalition of Canada (QELCCC)
- Right to Die Society of Canada
- Sociology of death and dying - Trinity University