For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 (inaccessible due to library closure) or firstname.lastname@example.org) Monday to Thursday .
Fall 2019 Nina will be having an office hour in the Gerontology department (HC 2800) Wednesdays 12:30 - 1:30.
Instructor: Dr. Sharon Koehn
"The focus of this course is to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of the process of dying. By examining the process of dying, one's personal response to death as well as society's reaction and responsibilities toward dying, the student will gain new insights in caring for the dying person.
." [Note: for more information see the GERO 406 course outline and page in Canvas. If there are discrepancies between information listed on this page and that in Canvas or instructor handouts, please refer to the latter.]
Term paper (finding articles and books)
Researching and writing an essay
- Start Your Research Here - Follow this SFU guide to researching and writing a term paper.
- Do you already have a good article (HINT: as in a reading from a module in Canvas) and want more? Try citation pearl-growing, as shown on this Youtube tutorial either using an EBSCO database like Ageline right below or using Google Scholar
- Ageline - the major social gerontology database. NEW! An Introduction to the Ageline database
- CINAHL Complete - Nursing and allied health (sample subject term: Terminal Care)
- Philosopher's Index (sample subject term: Assisted Suicide; Palliative Care; End of Life)
- Sociological Abstracts major sociology database (formerly known as SocioFile)
You can also browse a major journal in the area, Omega: journal of death and dying
Reference sources - handbooks and encyclopedias
- Macmillan encyclopedia of death and dying [print or online] for understanding concepts
- Handbook of family resilience [online] See part 4: Resilience, Loss and Grief
- Handbook of thanatology: the essential body of knowledge for the study of death, dying, and bereavement [print or online]
- Dying and Death in Canada [print and online ]
- What dying people want: practical wisdom for the end of life [print]
- Canadian health law and policy [print] Chapter 9 "Death dying and decision-making about end of life care" includes relevant cases
- Death: Current perspectives [print]
- Death, dying and Canadian families [online]
- Dying and death in Canada [print or online]
- End of Life Care: a national dialogue
- End of Life Stories [print or online]
- The last dance: Encountering death and dying [print]
- Older Adult’s Views on Death [print or online]
- Royal Society of Canada Expert Panel: End-of-life decision-making
- World of Bereavement: Cultural Perspectives on Death in Families
Giving Effective Presentations
SFU guide providing detailed instruction on how to succeed in university presentations
How to Give a Short Presentation Competently
describing "how to create an Awesome presentation"
- Beware the 5 Stages of Grief - TLC Group
- The Canadian Law Reform Commission’s definition of death (1979)
- Compassion and Choices - "a nonprofit organization, improves care and expand choice at the end of life. We support, educate and advocate." (U.S.)
- Dealing with Sudden Death - (Help Starts Here) BC Ministry of Justice
- Death with Dignity Act - (Oregon)
- The Definition of Death - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Discussion paper on a provincial strategy for end-of-life care in British Columbia British Columbia - BC Ministry of Health Services
- Dying with Dignity - "improve quality of dying and to expand end of life choices in Canada"
- Meaning of Life and Meaning of Death in Successful Aging - Paul Wong, International Network on Personal Meaning
- Of Life and Death - Final Report - the Special Senate Committee on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide
- Provincial Framework for End-of-Life Care - BC Ministry of Health Services
- Quality of Death: Ranking end-of-life care across the world - Economist Intelligence Unit
- Quality End-of-Life Care: The Right of Every Canadian Senate of Canada
Palliative Care and Hospice Associations
- BC Centre for Palliative Care - "advance care planning and serious illness conversations, integration of a palliative approach to care, and building Compassionate Communities"
- BC Hospice Palliative Care Association - "to ensure quality of care for British Columbians faced with a life-threatening illness, death and bereavement"
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA) - "That all Canadians have access to quality end-of-life care"
- Canadian Virtual Hospice information and support on hospice and end-of-life care, loss and grief
- Delta Hospice Society pamphlets
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) - The professional organization for physicians taking care of people at the end of life
- Caring Community resources, publications, and advocacy
- Center to Advance Palliative Care "provides clear, comprehensive palliative care information for people coping with serious illness"
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Palliative Medicine (ANZSPM) - provides professional support and fellowship for medical practitioners working in palliative care
- European Association for Palliative Care - "to act as a focus for all of those who work, or have an interest, in the field of palliative care"
- International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care - providing education about palliative care and hospice in the developing world
- Palliative Care Council of South Australia - useful publications in the Information Centre
- Births and Deaths - BC Stats
- Deaths and age-specific mortality rates, by selected grouped causes - Statistics Canada
- Infoline - BC Stats; causes of death in BC
- Leading Causes of Death and Hospitalization in Canada - Public Health Agency of Canada
- Leading Causes of Death - Statistics Canada
- Life expectancy, at birth and at age 65 - Statistics Canada
- Death and Culture - Wikipedia entry
- Americans for Better Care of the Dying - "dedicated to ensuring that all Americans can count on good end of life care"
- Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross - official site
- Growth House - "provides content development and syndication services for organizations working with death and dying issues."
- Human Mortality Database - providing detailed mortality and population data (requires registration)
- LGBT End-of-Life Conversations - Gerontology Research Centre (SFU)
- Longevity Game - find out how long actuaries think you will live
- Quality End-of-Life Care Coalition of Canada (QELCCC)
- Right to Die Society of Canada