For further assistance with your assignment, ask at the Belzberg Library Reference Desk or contact Nina Smart, Liaison Librarian for Gerontology (778.782.5043 (Tuesdays and Thursdays) or email@example.com) Monday to Thursday .
"The focus of this course is to provide the student with an in-depth understanding of the process of dying. By examining the process of dying, one's personal response to death as well as society's reaction and responsibilities toward dying, the student will gain new insights in caring for the dying person.
." [Note: for more information see the GERO 406 course outline and page in Canvas. If there are discrepancies between information listed on this page and that in Canvas or instructor handouts, please refer to the latter.]
Term paper (finding articles and books)
Researching and writing an essay
Start your research here
Follow this SFU guide to researching and writing a term paper.
Do you already have a good article (HINT: as in a reading from a module in Canvas) and want more? Try citation pearl-growing, as shown on this Youtube tutorial either using an EBSCO database like Ageline right below or using Google Scholar
Finding journal articles
Nursing and allied health (sample subject term: Terminal Care)
(sample subject term: Assisted Suicide; Palliative Care; End of Life)
major sociology database
Reference sources - handbooks and encyclopedias
for an overview of concepts and terms
Handbook of family resilience [online]
See part 4: Resilience, Loss and Grief
- Dying and Death in Canada [print and online ]
- What dying people want: practical wisdom for the end of life [print]
- Canadian health law and policy [print] Chapter 9 "Death dying and decision-making about end of life care" includes relevant cases
- Death: Current perspectives [print]
- Death, dying and Canadian families [online]
- Dying and death in Canada [print or online]
- End of Life Care: a national dialogue [online]
- End of Life Stories [print or online]
- Older Adult’s Views on Death [print or online]
- End-of-life decision-making report from Royal Society of Canada
- World of Bereavement: Cultural Perspectives on Death in Families [online]
Giving Effective Presentations
SFU guide providing detailed instruction on how to succeed in university presentations
How to Give a Short Presentation Competently
describing "how to create an Awesome presentation"
- Beware the 5 Stages of Grief - TLC Group
- The Canadian Law Reform Commission’s definition of death (1979)
- Compassion and Choices - "a nonprofit organization, improves care and expand choice at the end of life. We support, educate and advocate." (U.S.)
- Dealing with Sudden Death - (Help Starts Here) BC Ministry of Justice
- Death with Dignity Act - (Oregon)
- The Definition of Death - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Discussion paper on a provincial strategy for end-of-life care in British Columbia British Columbia - BC Ministry of Health Services
- Dying with Dignity - "improve quality of dying and to expand end of life choices in Canada"
- Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide overview from the Library of Parliament, Canada
- Meaning of Life and Meaning of Death in Successful Aging - Paul Wong, International Network on Personal Meaning
- Of Life and Death - Final Report - the Special Senate Committee on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide
- Provincial Framework for End-of-Life Care - BC Ministry of Health Services
- Quality of Death: Ranking end-of-life care across the world - Economist Intelligence Unit
- Quality End-of-Life Care: The Right of Every Canadian Senate of Canada
Palliative Care and Hospice Associations
- BC Centre for Palliative Care - "advance care planning and serious illness conversations, integration of a palliative approach to care, and building Compassionate Communities"
- BC Hospice Palliative Care Association - "to ensure quality of care for British Columbians faced with a life-threatening illness, death and bereavement"
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA) - "That all Canadians have access to quality end-of-life care"
- Canadian Virtual Hospice information and support on hospice and end-of-life care, loss and grief
- Delta Hospice Society pamphlets
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) - The professional organization for physicians taking care of people at the end of life
- Caring Community resources, publications, and advocacy
- Center to Advance Palliative Care "provides clear, comprehensive palliative care information for people coping with serious illness"
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
European Association for Palliative Care
"to act as a focus for all of those who work, or have an interest, in the field of palliative care"
International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care
providing education about palliative care and hospice in the developing world
Deaths and age-specific mortality rates, by selected grouped causes Statistics Canada
Statistical Reports on Deaths in British Columbia BC Coroners Service
Leading Causes of Death and Hospitalization in Canada Public Health Agency of Canada
Leading Causes of Death Statistics Canada
Life Expectancy and deaths Statistics Canada
Death and Culture
Human Mortality Database
providing detailed mortality and population data (requires registration)
LGBT End-of-Life Conversations
Gerontology Research Centre (SFU)
find out how long actuaries think you will live