On this page
Searching for associations
- The Sources Directory: More than 5,000 Expert Contacts and Media Spokespersons representing more than 1,000 Organizations." Use to identify organizations that may discuss your topic, then check out their web pages.
- Associations Canada: an encyclopedic directory [print]
- Associations - Information and Cultural Industries: Part of Industry Canada's directory of organizations by sector.
- ASAE Gateway to Associations Directory: Searchable list of associations by the American Society of Association Executives. US-focused, but some international content.
Key Canadian associations
- Canadian Communication Association
- Canadian Newspaper Association
- Canadian Broadcast Standards Council administers standards established by members of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters; deals with complaints and queries from the public about Canada's private broadcasters' programming
- Canadian Association of Broadcasters represents the interests private broadcasters, including radio and television stations, networks, and speciality, pay and pay-per-view services
- National Ethnic Press and Media Council of Canada
- Electronic Frontier Canada
- Media Smarts Canadian not-for-profit charitable organization for digital and media literacy.
- Newspapers Canada includes the ultimate online guide to Canadian dailies, including links to papers, statistics, history, ownership, etc.
Key US associations
- American Communication Association
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting: funds public broadcasting on radio & tv
- Academy of Television Arts and Sciences
- National Association of Broadcasters
- Motion Picture Association of America: Includes a page about the movie ratings system and market statistics
- National Association of Television Program Executives: "The leading association for content professionals;" includes links to industry resources
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
Key international associations
- Communication Institute for Online Scholarship
- International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR)
- International Communication Association check out the specialized divisions links
- Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing includes links to projects, societies, teaching & learning resources
- Radio-Television News Director's Association and Foundation "world's largest professional organization devoted exclusively to electronic journalism"
- Telecommunications Society of Australia (TSA)
Look for a link on the homepage to documents, papers, reports, research and/or publications by these bodies, as well as lists of related websites. If available, use the site search function to locate relevant material.
Searching for think tanks & research centres
- WorldPress.Org directory of think-tanks and NGOs
- World Directory of Think Tanks Japan's National Institute for Research Advancement (NIRA) provides this comprehensive guide to websites from think tanks from over 75 countries.
- Centre for Policy Research in Science and Technology (CPROST)
- Publishing Department
- NewsWatch Canada
- EPIX: Emergency Preparedness Information Exchange
- Also search the Canadian Electronic Library for reports from many Canadian think tanks and government bodies.
Key international organizations
- Pew Research Centre: Includes reports from 8 research centres including the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press and the Pew Internet & American Life Project
- School of Media and Communication: University of Leeds
- Center for Research on Information Technology and Organizations: (CRITO) at the University of California at Irvine
- European Communication and Research Education Association
- Benton Foundation: Works "to realize the social benefits made possible by the public interest use of communications"
- Department of Communication University of Washington