On this page
- W.A.C. Bennett Library Standalone Computer #2:
- NOTE (Updated Jan. 22): This installation of Eikon has been temporarily moved to one of the scanning computers near the Bloomberg terminal while our technicians work on some technical issues on its usual machine. Watch this space for updates.
- Belzberg Library in Harbour Centre: location map
- Segal Graduate School of Business (restricted access): Accessing Thomson Reuters Eikon + Datastream in the Segal Graduate School of Business
- Fraser Library: Computer #SC-Lib-38 (see floor map). This is a regular library computer with full access to all library databases and programs. There is a sign next to it explaining that researchers needing access to Thomson Reuters Eikon + Datastream have priority access.
Step 1: Get the current user ID and password for Eikon
Ask at the front counter of the library (where you sign the books out) for the current User ID and Password.
Bring your SFU ID card with you as this database can only be accessed by current SFU students, faculty, and staff.
Note: The password will be changed often. Ask at the library front counter each time you plan to use the database to ensure that you have the current version. (This applies to the three library installations of the database. The Segal installation has a different procedure for obtaining the current password.)
Step 2: Start Eikon
Go to Start > All Programs > Thomson Reuters > Thomson Reuters Eikon
Log in, then wait for the workspace to load completely (might take a few minutes)
Do not check the "sign me in automatically" box.
Note: If you get a message saying that the ID you entered is already logged in, double check that you are using the correct ID for your campus. If you are, then choose the option to log in anyhow.
Step 1: Start Excel
Make sure you use the Thomson Reuters Eikon - Microsoft Excel option available under Start > All Programs > Thomson Reuters
Step 2: Within Excel, log in to the Thomson Reuters Add-In
Click on the Thomson Reuters tab, then on the Sign In link.
- No username or password will be required if you have already signed into the Eikon interface.
- If you have not already logged into Eikon, you will need to obtain the current Eikon/Datastream username and password from the front counter of the library and enter them when prompted. (There is a different process for the Segal installation.)
Note: If there isn't a Thomson Reuters tab when you first open Excel, go to File > Options > Add-Ins and select Manage COM Add-Ins from the drop-down box, then click on OK and restart Excel without making any changes.
Datastream access via Excel
Step 1: Launch and sign in
First make sure you have completed the steps in the "Eikon access via Excel" section above to launch and sign into the Thomson Reuters Add-In in Excel.
If you see a second Add-In for "Thomson Reuters Datastream" at the top of the Excel screen, then you are already set up to search Datastream.
If you don't see that second Add-In for Datastream, wait a few minutes, then restart Excel. You may also need to sign in to the Thomson Reuters Add-In one more time before you can start using both Add-Ins.
Step 2: If the Datastream Add-In doesn't appear
If the Datastream Add-In doesn't show up after you've gone through the step above, try the following:
Within Excel, go to File > Options > Add-Ins and click on OK without making any changes.
Then close and restart Excel. You should now see both a Thomson Reuters tab and a Thomson Reuters Datastream tab within Excel.
Log back into the Thomson Reuters Add-In one more time (as covered in the Eikon access via Excel section above). You should now be able to use the templates and data search forms within both Excel apps.
To close Excel
Step 1: Click on the Thomson Reuters tab within Excel
Step 2: Click on the arrow next to Online, and
Step 3: Choose the Sign Out option, then exit the program.
To close Eikon
Step 1: Go to the Eikon icon in the top left corner of the screen
Step 2: Click on the arrow next to Close, and
Step 3: Choose the Shut down option.
If you are given an option to save changes to your workspace, choose Don't Save.
If you get an error messages while logging in, try the following steps first:
Close the program and clear your cache
Start > All Programs > Thomson Reuters > Thomson Reuters Tools > Clear Cache / Process Viewer
Change your Internet Security options to Medium
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Security > Internet... and adjust the slider to Medium
If you are still not able to log in, call Library Systems at 778-782-4706 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with details about the errors.