Purpose of the award
Established in 2014 as the Library Undergraduate Student Award with generous gifts from friends and supporters of Simon Fraser University Libraries, this award was renamed in 2019. We lost a cherished colleague in January 2019 when longtime liaison librarian Mike McIntosh died suddenly. The award was then renamed in Mike's memory. The Mike McIntosh Undergraduate Award is intended to recognize and reward a full-time student who has volunteered or worked for the SFU Libraries while continuing to pursue higher education at SFU.
The Award is valued at $1,000.
Please see Remembering Librarian Mike McIntosh for more information about Mike McIntosh.
A student who is interested in applying must meet the following criteria:
- is currently enrolled full-time (9 units or more) at Simon Fraser University as an undergraduate student;
- will be enrolled full-time at SFU as an undergraduate student in the Spring semester following application, when award will be received;
- is in good academic standing; and,
- has volunteered or worked temporarily for any of the SFU campus Libraries (including the Student Learning Commons) for at least two semesters (consecutively or non-consecutively) within the last five years.
How to apply
Your application package must consist of the following three documents:
- a curriculum vitae (CV)
- a confirmation letter of volunteer or paid work from your Library or SLC supervisor
- an unofficial transcript.
- a personal statement (maximum one page text or 3 minute video) describing how your paid or volunteer work at any of the SFU campus libraries has contributed to your experience at SFU
Applications must be submitted by email in one consolidated PDF document by 4 pm on December 1st each year to email@example.com.
Please indicate Mike McIntosh Undergraduate Student Award in the subject line of your email.
Note that the award winner must provide consent for the Library to use their name and photograph in promotional materials.
Granting of the award
The award will be granted by the Senate Undergraduate Awards Adjudication Committee upon the recommendation of the Dean of Libraries.
Collection notice for the Mike McIntosh Undergraduate Award application
The information for this application is collected under the authority of the University Act. It is related directly to and needed by the University to consider your application for the Mike McIntosh Undergraduate Award. The information will be used to verify your eligibility for this award only. If you have any questions about the collection, use and disclosure of this information please contact Gwen Bird, Dean of Libraries, Office LB 7304, W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, 778-782-3265 or firstname.lastname@example.org.