On this page
Course description: "A consideration of the theory, principles, traditions and current trends in publication design as applied to print and electronic publishing. Students will undertake design exercises in addition to learning the relationship between design, costing and print production."
To systematically search for relevant books use the subject headings in our Library Catalogue. For example, you could look for books that have the subject headings Graphic design (Typography) or Printing -- Style manuals. For more details on subject headings and for help with the catalogue, see the Library Catalogue search guide or Ask a Librarian.
In LinkedIn Learning you can also find video tutorials, both on using specific design software programs (Adobe, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and others) and on general design and digital publishing skills (page layout, cover design, and so on). Note that LinkedIn Learning requires that you register and create an account with them, but access is free through SFU Library. The account allows you to bookmark or track your progress through different online courses on LinkedIn Learning.
Search for books with the subject headings Book design, Book design -- Pictorial works, or Book design -- Handbooks, manuals, etc, and so on. Besides these, you can also find books in the SFU catalogue under the subjects Book covers , Book jackets and Layout (Printing).
- Some items from the heading Publishers catalogs Canada may be relevant, or you can find a more specific heading from the full subject list that includes Publishers catalogs
- A selection of Canadian publishers' catalogues is in the pamphlet boxes at the start of the bound journals section on the Belzberg Library Mezzanine Floor; see the SFU Library catalogue record for a list of the included publishers
- CataList (BookNet Canada) Canadian publishers and their catalogues
Visual identity and branding
- Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia ABPBC "provincial association of book publishing companies"
- Association of Canadian Publishers "representing Canadian-owned book publishers of literary, general-trade, and scholarly titles"
- Alcuin Society promotes the finest in Canadian book design
Book arts / bookbinding
- Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild
- American Academy of Bookbinding
- Center for Book Arts (US)
- Miniature Book Society (US)
- Fine Press Book Association (US)
- Guild of Book Workers (US)
- Book Arts Web "links to a large selection of book arts related sites on the web"
Several resources and magazines on print and online design are listed in the Design resources & magazines section of our Publishing information resources: Additional resources page.
- The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web "a practical guide to Web typography"
- I Love Typography (ILT)
- Type Directors Club
- A List Apart Great for web typography (and the web in general)
- TypeWolf Trends in web typography
- Alcuin Society Awards for Excellence in Book Design in Canada
- Applied Arts Design Awards given annually by the Canadian Applied Arts magazine
- Brand Impact Awards
- British Book Design & Production Awards (the link to "Past Awards" is on the right)
- Canadian Online Publishing Award
- Canadian Society of Magazine Editors Awards
- Digital Publishing Awards
- International Visual Identity Awards runs a design competition and has a blog
- National Magazine Awards / Les prix du magazine canadien
- PANZ book design awards (New Zealand)
- PubWest Book design awards
- The Society of Publication Designers has an annual design competition and also showcases a magazine Cover of the Day