Course description: "The theoretical component of this course focuses on theories of composition and rhetoric. The practical component focuses on the various types of editing that take place in publishing. Students are examined on both the theory and their attained competence in editing."
Books on editing
You could also combine subject headings in your search, for example Publishers and publishing AND Editing.
The complete list of subject headings related to Publishers and publishing could also be useful.
- Help yourself to a better contract : a guide for evaluating and negotiating your trade book contract [print]
- Model trade book contract [print]
- Publishing agreements : a book of precedents [print]
- See also: Sample Publishing Contract
For more books on authors and contracts, search the library catalogue for books that have both the subject headings Authors and publishers AND Contracts. You could also browse the shelves in the PN 155 call number area.
Publications and online sources
- Books section in The Vancouver Sun, The Globe and Mail, National Post, Maclean’s magazine etc.
- The Quill & Quire print magazine at the Belzberg Library downtown, and Quill & Quire Omni for the latest Canadian book trade news
- SFU Library guide to News resources: Finding newspaper articles and newspapers
- SFU Library guide to Canadian publishing programs
Other useful resources and links are listed under the Directories on our Publishing information resources: Facts + data page: in particular, ABC Bookworld (publishers of BC Book World magazine) has an excellent on-line archive on BC writers.
Many relevant organizations are listed under the Associations section of our Publishing information resources: Additional resources page, including the
Editors' Association of Canada, the Writers' Union of Canada, and the Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia (ABPBC).
Some reading and news resources are also listed on our Publishing information resources: Additional resources page.
Blogs and online newsletters:
- Mike Shatzkin’s Publishing Blog
- Thad McIlroy - The Future of Publishing
- DailyWritingTips Free tips by email subscription
- World Wide Words "Various lore on our goofy language." -MS
- Languagehat Language blog with a special interest in translation
- Wordlady Blog of Katherine Barber, former editor of the Oxford Canadian Dictionary
- The Subversive Copy Editor Blog of Carol Fisher Saller, author of The Subversive Copy Editor