On this page
For Library research help, please contact Moninder Lalli, Librarian for South Asian Initiatives by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ask a librarian.
Please note that most of the electronic resources (books, journal, databases, etc.) are restricted by license agreements to current SFU users.
Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
Dr. B.R. Ambedkar (1891-1956) is known as the father of India's Constitution [original unamended version of the Constitution], who fought for human rights to be enshrined within the Constitution. Dr. Ambedkar received scholarships and he studied abroad and he earned doctorates from Columbia and London School of Economics. Some of his books are held by the SFU Library. In addition, SFU Library a donation of the bust of Dr. Ambedkar, which is housed at the entrance level of the SFU Library's Burnaby Campus.
Books by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar at SFU Library
- Ambedkar, B. R. Ambedkar : Autobiographical Notes. Navayana, 2003. [print]
- Ambedkar, B. R., and Frances W. Pritchett. The Annihilation of Caste. Columbia Center for New Media Technology and Learning, 2005.
- Ambedkar, et al. The Buddha and His Dhamma : a Critical Edition. Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Ambedkar, B.R. Castes in India, Project Gutenberg
- Ambedkar, et al. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, Writings and Speeches. Education Dept., Govt. of Maharashtra, 1979 [13 vol set, print]
- Ambedkar, B. R., and Valerian. Rodrigues. The Essential Writings of B.R. Ambedkar. Oxford University Press, 2004. [print]
- Ambedkar, B. R. Mister Gandhi and the Emancipation of the Untouchables. Thacker, 1943. [print]
- Ambedkar, B. R. Who Were the Shudras? : How They Came to Be the Fourth Varna in the Indo-Aryan Society. Thacker, 1946. [print]
For more, check Books by Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
Books about Dr. B.R. Ambedkar at SFU Library
- Conversations with Ambedkar : 10 Ambedkar Memorial Lectures. Tulika Books ; Ambedkar University, 2019.
- Jaffrelot, Christophe. Dr Ambedkar and Untouchability : Analysing and Fighting Caste. Rev. ed., Hurst & Co., 2005. [print]
- Keer, Dhananjay. Dr. Ambedkar : Life and Mission / Dhananjay Keer. 3rd ed., Popular Prakashan, 1971. [print]
- Omvedt, Gail. Ambedkar : towards an Enlightened India. Penguin, 2004. [print]
- Shabbir, and Shabbir, Mohd. Ambedkar on Law, Constitution, and Social Justice. Rawat Publications, 2005. [print]
- Sindhe, Jagannātha. Dr. B.R. Ambedkar's Thoughts on Women. First ed., Current Publications, 2019. [print]
- Singh, and Singh, Sudhir Kumar. Relevance of Ambedkar Today. Pentagon Press, 2017. [print]
- Sridevi, and Sridevi, G. Ambedkar's Vision of Economic Development for India. Routledge, 2020.
- Yengde, et al. The Radical in Ambedkar : Critical Reflections. Allen Lane, an Imprint of Penguin Random House, 2018. [print]
For more, check:
Caste and human rights
Search the SFU Library Catalogue: Advanced keyword
For the searches below, you can further limit the search results by "Subject" or "Resource type" (such as "books)
- (Dalit* OR caste*) AND India
- (untouchable* OR harijan* OR sudra* OR pariah* OR scheduled caste*)
- caste system AND India
- (Dalit* OR caste) AND (fiction OR poet* OR novel* OR writ* OR author* OR literature*)
- India AND "human rights"
- Arya, et al. Dalit Feminist Theory : a Reader. Routledge, 2020.
- Bhattacharyya, Asmita, and Basu, Sudeep. Marginalities in India. Springer Singapore Pte. Limited, 2017.
- Chalam, K. S., and ProQuest. Political Economy of Caste in India. Sage Publications India Pvt. Ltd, 2020.
- Fernandez, Marilyn. The New Frontier : Merit vs. Caste in the Indian IT Sector. First ed., Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Ghurye, G. S., and Kuldeep N. Seth. Bharat Mein Jaati Evam Prajaati = Caste and Race in India. Fifth ed., Popular Prakashan : Sage/Bhasha, 2017.
- Jodhka, Surinder S., and Jules Naudet. Mapping the Elite : Power, Privilege, and Inequality. First ed., Oxford University Press, 2019. [print]
- Karade, and Karade, Jagan. Development of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in India. Cambridge Scholars Pub., 2008.
- Nayar, Pramod K. Writing Wrongs : the Cultural Construction of Human Rights in India. Routledge, 2012. [print]
- Ovichegan, Samson K. Faces of Discrimination in Higher Education in India : Quota Policy, Social Justice and the Dalits. Routledge, 2015.
- Prakash, Arvind. Dalit Women Issues and Perspectives. Peridot Literary Books, 2019. [print]
- Prakash, Aseem. Dalit Capital : State, Markets and Civil Society in Urban India. Routledge, 2015. [print]
- Purewal, et al. Beyond Religion in India and Pakistan : Gender and Caste, Borders and Boundaries. Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2019.
- Rawat, Ramnarayan S., and K. Satyanarayana. Dalit Studies. Duke University Press, 2016.
- Rinker, Jeremy A. Identity, Rights, and Awareness : Anticaste Activism in India and the Awakening of Justice through Discursive Practices. Lexington Books, 2018.
- Sen, Dwaipayan. The Decline of the Caste Question : Jogendranath Mandal and the Defeat of Dalit Politics in Bengal. Cambridge University Press, 2018.
- Shah, A. M. The Structure of Indian Society : Then and Now. Routledge, 2010.
- Sharma, Mukul. Caste and Nature : Dalits and Indian Environmental Politics, Oxford University Press, 2017. [print]
- Singh, Roja. Spotted Goddesses : Dalit Women's Agency-Narratives on Caste and Gender Violence. Lit Verlag GmbH & Co. KG Wien, 2018. [print]
- Still, Clarinda. Dalits in Neoliberal India : Mobility or Marginalisation. Routledge, 2014.
- Solomon, John. A Subaltern History of the Indian Diaspora in Singapore : Gradual Disappearance of Untouchability, 1872-1965. Routledge, 2016.
- Teltumbde, Anand. Dalits : Past, Present and Future. Second ed., Routledge, 2020. [print]
- Teltumbde, Anand, & ProQuest. (2020). Hindutva and Dalits : perspectives for understanding communal praxis. (Revised edition.). Samya.
- Tiwari, R. K. Human Rights and Law : Bonded Labour in India. Foundation Books, 2011.
- Viswanath, Rupa. The Pariah Problem. Columbia University Press, 2014.
- Yengde, Suraj. Caste Matters. Penguin Viking, 2019. [print]
Literary, artistic and musical contributions
This section provides selected books on authors and writers.
- Abraham, Joshil K. Dalit Literatures in India : with a New Introduction. Second ed., Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- Arora, Bharti. Writing Gender, Writing Nation : Women's Fiction in Post-Independence India. Routledge, an Imprint of the Taylor & Francis Group, 2020.
- Azhagarasan, R., and Ravikkumār. The Oxford India Anthology of Tamil Dalit Writing. 1st ed., Oxford University Press, 2012. [print]
- Hunt, Sarah Beth. Hindi Dalit Literature and the Politics of Representation. Routledge India, 2014.
- Gajarawala, Toral Jatin. Untouchable Fictions : Literary Realism and the Crisis of Caste. 1st ed., Fordham University Press, 2012. [print]
- Lakshm, C. S., and Perumāḷmurukan. Black Coffee in a Coconut Shell : Caste as Lived Experience. Sage, 2018.
- Misrahi Barak, Judith ; Satyanarayana, K ; Thiara, Nicole. Journal of Commonwealth Literature: Special Issue on Dalit Literature. Vol. 54, SAGE Publications, 2019.
- Misrahi-Barak, et al. Dalit Text : Aesthetics and Politics Re-Imagined. Routledge, 2020.
- Naipaul, V. S. Half a Life : a Novel . 1st Vintage International ed., Vintage International, 2002. [print]
- Nārāyaṇa, Badrī. Fractured Tales : Invisibles in Indian Democracy. First ed., Oxford University Press, 2016. [print]
- Urmila Pawar. The Weave of My Life. Columbia University Press, 2009.
For more, try:
Browse by subject
Browse by subject (change the default "Browse by title" to ""Browse by subject" using the pull-down menu)
- Caste -- India
- Caste -- Political aspects -- India
- Caste-based discrimination -- India
- Caste in literature
- Dalit women
- Dalits in literature
- Human rights -- India
Journal articles, films and audio
Search within the databases below for scholarly articles. If an articles are not be available full-text within the database, then use the "Get@SFU" icon to see if the Library has the journal. For SFU users, the books or journals that are not owned by the Library, use the Citation Finder/ILL tab to request a copy of the article from another library.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies - for books, articles on India, Pakistan, China and other countries in Asia and South Asia
- Sociological Abstracts - main database for all aspects of sociology
- Social Sciences Full Text - indexes social sciences journals including sociology and anthropology
- Anthropology Plus - main database for for all aspects of anthropology
- Women's Studies International -- For issues related to gender, sexuality and women's studies
- Google Scholar - indexes the full text of articles, books, reports, academic web sites, reports, etc. Good for cross-disciplinary and emerging fields of research.
Films and audio
This section provides selected films and audio recordings.
- DR TV, et al. Hindu vs. Hindu : Caste Violence in India. Infobase, 2007.
- DR TV, et al. Married to a Goddess : Joginis of India. Infobase, 2007.
- DR TV, et al. The Worst Job in the World : Bhangis of India. Infobase, 2007.
- Infobase, film distributor, and BBC. Cooking In The Danger Zone : Series 2 : India. BBC, 2007.
- Infobase, film distributor, and SW Pictures LTD. Sharmila's Journey. SW Pictures LTD, 2008.
- O'Connell, Mary., et al. Untouchables, The. CBC Ideas Transcripts, 2007. [Disc]
- Encyclopaedia of Dalits in India [2002, 14 vols. print]
- Encyclopaedia of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes [2000, 4 vols. print]
Associations and organizations
- Asia Dalits Rights Forum
- Chetna Association of Canada
- Human Rights Watch
- Search: Dalit
- International Dalit Solidarity Network
- National Campaigne on Dalit Human Rights - based in India, a coalition of human rights activists and academics
- Digital South Asia Library (University of Chicago)
- E-Social Sciences -- from India - a portal for social scientists, with reports and conferences
- Project Gutenberg
- South & Southeast Asia Resources (University of Berkeley)
- South & Southeast Asian Studies Resources (University of Columbia)
- SARAI: South Asia Resource Access on the Internet (Columbia University)