Whether or not you can use a screenshot and whether you require permission to do so depends on several factors, including:
- What software or website you are taking a screenshot of. Policies concerning screenshots of an organization's website or software will depend on the organization. For example, both Google and Microsoft have policies around the use of screenshots.
- What the screenshot will be used for (e.g., a student paper, publication, marketing, etc).
- In the case of publication, what the publisher's requirements are.
- FAQs on copyright
- Citing images
- Citing tables, figures & images in APA
- Citing tables, figures & images in MLA