Welcome to the SFU Library. This guide describes resources and services available to residents of the UniverCity community. UniverCity residents are welcome to use books and other library resources within the SFU Library branches at Burnaby (Bennett Library), Vancouver (Belzberg Library) and Surrey (SFU Surrey Library). UniverCity residents are eligible to receive external borrow cards at no cost. See External borrowers: Borrowing Library Materials for further information.
You will need a password to log in to most of the computers in the Bennett and Surrey Libraries. Please ask a staff member at the Circulation/Loans Desk to create this for you when you purchase your borrower card.
Note that neither the borrower card nor the computer password will enable you to access the Library's licensed databases from home or elsewhere outside the Library, including the computers in other campus labs.
If you need further information, ask a Library staff member in person, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone (Bennett 778.782.3869, Belzberg 778.782.5050 or Surrey 778-782-7411).
External borrower cards can be obtained by UniverCity residents at the circulation desks of any SFU Library branch. There will be no fee charged for the card. You must present your official UniverCity Resident card and one piece of current picture ID in order to qualify for an external borrowing card at no charge. Your borrower card will be valid for one year from the date of issue. Materials borrowed are subject to overdue fines.
UniverCity residents may:
- Use research assistance and materials at all three libraries;
- Borrow general circulating material at all libraries under the same loan periods as undergraduates. See Loan periods: Borrowing Library Materials for further information;
- Request books that are out on loan to other users;
- Request items, with the exception of specialized collections such as audio and video material, to be transferred from one campus to another;
- Request up to three journal article photocopies per day to be transferred from Bennett to Belzberg or SFU Surrey and vice versa (articles will be provided at a cost of $3.00 each);
- Access selected databases within the Library buildings.
UniverCity residents may not:
- Use multimedia equipment and games held by the SFU Surrey Library, which are only accessible to SFU Surrey students;
- Use Interlibrary Loan or Document Delivery services;
- Access Reserve materials;
- Access Databases from remote stations.
Giving to the SFU Library
Thank you for considering a gift to the SFU Library. Your gift will allow us to enhance the Simon Fraser University Library for the benefit of students, faculty and the community. With your help, we can continue to grow.