This policy sets out appropriate use of library public computers to: encourage the maximum library-related use of limited numbers of public computers; prevent damage to library computing resources; ensure compliance by library patrons with Simon Fraser University Policy GP-24, Policy and Procedure on the Fair Use of Information Resources. Library users who violate University Policy GP-24 are subject to disciplinary action as described in that policy.
Guest computer usage by location
Guest access is available from the Circulation desk upon request. Members of the public may use a guest ID to access computer workstations at each library location. :
- Belzberg Library (SFU Vancouver): Guests may use one of two designated workstations; access is limited to one hour per day per guest.
- Bennett Library (SFU Burnaby): Guest access expires at the end of the day.
- Fraser Library (SFU Surrey): Guest access expires at the end of the day.
Each location will have different usage terms based on availability.
SFU Library Guest Computer Terms and Conditions
- SFU students, faculty and staff have priority use of computers. You may be asked to vacate your workstation if required for SFU users or to wait until there are sufficient computers to meet SFU users’ needs.
- The Library will record your full name from one piece of current government-issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport, etc.) and obtain your current address for the registration form. This information is kept for one (1) year and can be used to investigate the alleged violation of the Fair Use of Information and Communications Technology Policy GP-24.
- You may be asked to present your photo identification each time your request a guest ID.
- You may also use an alternative form of identification to confirm your name and address (e.g. recent utility bill or similar up-to-date documentation).
- Photos of documents or IDs cannot be used as any form of ID.
- When you have finished your session, you must log out of the computer. Until you log off, you are responsible for any activities on the computer.
- You must not share your guest username and password with anyone else.
Collection of personal information
Your personal information is collected under the authority of the University Act (R.S.B.C.) 1996, c. 468, s.27(4)(a). It is related directly to, and needed by, the University to administer the Internet Public Access service. The information will be used to verify the identification of users and protect the integrity of the library system. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, please contact: Mark Jordan, Associate Dean of Libraries, Digital Strategy, W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby BC V5A 1S6 Tel: 778-782-5753.